Jamie Oliver var noskimwords = 'true'; var _comscore = _comscore || []; _comscore.push({ c1: "2", c2: "17817337" }); (function() { var s = document.createElement("script"), el = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.async = true; s.src = (document.location.protocol == "https:" ? "https://sb" : "http://b") + ".scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js"; el.parentNode.insertBefore(s, el); })(); (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-38610140-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');

Meatballs and rice with "Mytzithra" cheese

OCT 10 @ 14:19

by dukegus

The difference to the classic meatballs and sauce in this dish is the salty and hard goat cheese which is called "Myzithra". It is made by the milk remains, when making goats cheese, so is quite low in fat but full of flavor. I'm not an expert but I think it needs a couple of weeks to mature. It is the "hero" of this dish, but can be replaced with pecorino, parmezan or any hard salty cheese.

So let's make the meatballs:
Mix the ingredients in a big ball and squize very well till all is mixed! Shape into meatballs and fry in a non stick pan with a little olive oil.

Now the sauce:
In a pan heat the olive oil, add the onions and fry gently for 5 minutes. Then add the spices and the garlic. Continue for 2-3 minutes and add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat so it start boiling. As soon as it boils, add the meatballs in and grind half a cheese on top. Simmer slowly for a good 5 minutes and they are ready.

Make the rice:
Wash well and soak the rice for 10 minutes, add to boiling salted water and boil for 6-7 minutes.
I like boiling the rice in much water and draining it, because it is less chance that you fail. The other alternative is to put 1 rice 1+1/2 water, boil for 5 minutes then remove from heat and put a towel on top of the pot.

Serve:
In a plate serve the meatballs and some rice with Myzithra on top, something like in the picture.

5 replies

Login or register to make a comment

OCT 10 @ 20:45

by MsPablo

I can't wait to try this at home.  I copied it to my file.  Thanks so much for posting these great Greek recipes!

OCT 11 @ 08:45

by dukegus

Well it must be a bit difficult to find the cheese, I get it from my girlfriends mother. I have seen it sold in some Supermarkets, in round hard balls, sized quite big like 10-13 diameter.

OCT 12 @ 09:21

by madamada

Fresh fried sardines...(parrochi˝as)
espinaca

I suggest for once you try baking them with salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil on a very hot grill!

I don't think you will ever fry them again! But the sardines ..........

do you bake them in oven or on aBBQ and if in oven how long?
I usually fry them but bakking would be easier and less laborioso and less smelly toobig_smile

OCT 12 @ 16:58

by dukegus

Madamada not bbq, the pan thing. They get amazing, I used to bbq them but even then they didn't get that tasty! Plz try it! Fatty sardines, they become juicy and sooo tasty! Just olive oil, salt pepper oregano. You can put the oregano after the baking if you like!

I posted it and on espinaca! Plz try it, now for how much time, I don't really know.

Make sure the grill is very hot, place them gently on top and watch them, about 3,max 4 minutes every side. It depends on the size of the sardines. Be careful because sometimes they stick in the pan, so be gentle! smile

OCT 13 @ 21:38

by madamada

Ok duke grazie prover˛. Grill in the oven, then. I'll let you know how it turned outbig_smile

Pages: 1
var signup = { alphapopper: '#popup1', thanks_gift_image: 'gift-card-wine-us.png', ignore_cookie: false, is_logged_in: false, is_carl:false, is_allowed: true, is_dormant: false }