Jamie Oliver var noskimwords = 'true'; var _comscore = _comscore || []; _comscore.push({ c1: "2", c2: "17817337" }); (function() { var s = document.createElement("script"), el = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.async = true; s.src = (document.location.protocol == "https:" ? "https://sb" : "http://b") + ".scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js"; el.parentNode.insertBefore(s, el); })(); (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-38610140-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');

"Yiouvarlakia"

JAN 12 @ 10:21

by dukegus

This is a dish I used to eat when I was a child, I don't know why my mother stopped making it. It is so tasty, and very nice for a winter day.
The egg added at the end makes the juice rich and amazing. The fragrance of dill, parley and pepper is there to just make you feel better! smile I wouldn't add anything else if you make it for the first time, try the version I suggest and then tweak it if you wish.

Prepare:

In a bowl mix well with you hands, the meat, the rice, the finely chopped herbs(reserve some for garnish), half a lemon's juice, the onion very finely chopped or even minced(if spring onions finely chopped). Mix very very very well and for you meat balls, in about 3 cm diameter balls. If mix has too much juice, squeeze some off every time you make a ball. You can leave the mix to rest before forming the balls but I didn't do it that way, feel free to let it rest if you wish.

Bake:

Have a pot ready, preferably that is big enough so all the balls can be at the bottom without anyone overlapping each other. Put water in the pot, enough so the balls are just underwater. Bring it to a boil and then add the balls carefully. Mine did not lose their shape but be careful.

Once all the meat balls are in the boiling water, turn the heat down a bit. Let them boil for about 20-30 min. Be careful so that water will remain in the pot, it is a kind of soup dish after all! I put the lid on but not closed, something like half closed...

Finishing:

Remove the pot from heat. In a bowl, beat the egg whites so they are nice and foamy! They must be a bit loose. Add the yolk and the 1+1/2 lemon's juice that is left and mix carefully!

Temper the eggs, adding a bit of pot juice slowly and mixing very nice! Watch out not to scramble the eggs. Finely add the juice back to the pot and move the pot in circular motion. Don't try to mix with a spoon because the meat balls will break!!

Serve:

Serve in a plate and garnish with some dill and parsley. Finish finally with some extra virgin olive oil.

Amazing dish that is really not difficult and very tasty! I hope you try it!

Kostas

12 replies

Login or register to make a comment

JAN 12 @ 11:00

by Chrissa SKG

everyone should try this!!! -my favourite soup as well- looks yummie!!! - μπράβο!- κι ετοιμαζόμουν να τα μαγειρέψω μέσα στη βδομάδα

JAN 12 @ 12:28

by dukegus

Thx Chrissa, you should definitely try it, easy and it doesn't require much time too...

*The photo is a bit bright...my monitor needs calibration sad

JAN 12 @ 17:07

by MsPablo

This dish sounds excellent, I'll give this one a try soon!

JAN 12 @ 17:53

by Mamma Carla

This is a fantastic dish of the greek kitchen! One of the many. I learned to cook it from the very beginning of my staying in Greece and when my half italian half greek grown up children come from abroad always ask for it!! Great!!thumbsup

JAN 12 @ 17:54

by Mamma Carla

This is a fantastic dish of the greek kitchen! One of the many. I learned to cook it from the very beginning of my staying in Greece and when my half italian half greek grown up children come from abroad always ask for it!! Great!!thumbsup

JAN 12 @ 17:54

by Mamma Carla

JAN 12 @ 19:20

by dukegus

Mamma Carla would love if you told us any twists(italian or not) you take on the dish, I mean any way you make it diferently!

MsPablo plz give it a try, I hope it will satisfy you! I suggest you try it the way it is for the first time and then try anything you like(spice in the meat, herbs...chili...anything) smile

JAN 12 @ 21:59

by Mamma Carla

Hello Dukegus! When I first came to Greece I learned it exactly the way you describe it.Only sometimes I omit the eggs and just add lemon and pepper  to the soup when I want it more light but.....no comparison with the real version!

JAN 13 @ 07:41

by Tara

This looks amazing I'm saving this for winter or a cool summer day, thanky dukegus, Superb thumbsup

Pages: 1 2
var signup = { alphapopper: '#popup1', thanks_gift_image: 'gift-card-wine-us.png', ignore_cookie: false, is_logged_in: false, is_carl:false, is_allowed: true, is_dormant: false }