British BBQ Society @ the American Royal

OCT 07 @ 14:24

by Toby Shea

Hi All

The British BBQ Society team, has just returned from a week in Kansas City in which we competed in two BBQ competitions. We were invited to take part in the American Royal Invitational competition, contestants have to qualify through regional competitions and this is only open to Grand Champions. Out of 124 teams we came a respectable 87th with the following scores.

Category    Judge 1    Judge 2    Judge 3    Judge 4    Judge 5 Judge 6

Chicken        8 7 7    9 9 9     8 9 8    9 8 9     8 8 9    8 7 8
Ribs        8 8 7     9 7 8     8 7 7     7 8 8     7 8 8     8 7 7
Pork        8 8 8     8 8 8     6 9 7     7 8 8     8 8 8     7 7 8
Brisket        8 7 7     9 6 6     8 8 7     7 9 9     7 9 9     8 8 7

Scores are judges between 2 and 9, with only a couple of 6ís this was not a bad result, you have to bear in mind that 4 out of 5 teams members have never competed in the States previously and this was our first outing as a team.

Once the results were announced we competed in the American Royal Open contest which had over 500 teams competing in various categories. Our biggest weakness in the first competition was trying to understand the American taste which for competition is sweeter and more salty than we are used to so tried different tactics for this comp.

I have to say a special congratulations to team members Adie Platts and Steve Heyes that entered the Dessert and Sausage categories respectively and did us proud. The individual scores are yet to be released but we finished 287th beating over 200 teams. For our first outing I believe we can hold our heads up high.

Full results and info can be found at www.ARBBQ.com The British BBQ Society website will be re-launched in the next could of weeks I will post a link once its ready and you will be able to see photos and video of the event.

If anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to ask.

0 replies

Login or register to make a comment

Pages: 1
$(document).ready(function(){ //for restaurants page if ($(location).attr('href') == "http://www.jamieoliver.com/restaurants"){ $('#restaurants_menu_wrapper').css('display','block'); } // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 end });