Nigerian Red Kidney Bean Stew

OCT 19 @ 01:28

by JoyYamDaisy

This is the dish I made for my sisters - served with French Savoury Cake, Stuffed Pumpkin and just picked Steamed Asparagus.
This dish comes from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, it is easy and tastes great!
1 cup of red kidney beans, soaked and cooked (2 1/2 to 3 cups when cooked), add 2 tsp of salt when they are cooked and keep them in their cooking liquid until they are ready to go into the recipe.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a good big saucepan
Add a chopped onion, garlic clove and 1/2 a large red capsicum (all chopped!) and fry until the onion is transparent.
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground chili - add these spices and stir through
Then add
250 ml tomato passata (I used a tin of tomatoes, blended)
a good squeeze of lemon juice
120 ml (1/2 cup) water and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
While it is doing this, get out 6 tbsp of the bean liquid and mix 1 1/2 tbs of peanut butter into it, add it to the pan with the drained beans, mix well and simmer another 10 minutes.
The peanut taste doesn't come through, but it makes the sauce deliciously creamy.
Check the seasoning is right and serve.
It keeps a few days in the fridge.
I made it a day ahead so the flavours were beautifully blended.smile

3 replies

Login or register to make a comment

OCT 19 @ 04:24

by Luvmegrub

Thanks Joy thumbsup

The ingredients are very similar to those in Jamie's Cool Mexican Bean Wraps, no wonder I liked the sound of it.

OCT 19 @ 13:05

by JoyYamDaisy

I looked up that recipe LMG and they are similar! fascinating!smile

OCT 19 @ 21:08

by VictoriaD

Mmmm, this seems to be something I would really love! Sounds very yummy! wave

Pages: 1
$(document).ready(function(){ //for restaurants page if ($(location).attr('href') == "http://www.jamieoliver.com/restaurants"){ $('#restaurants_menu_wrapper').css('display','block'); } // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 end });