Jamie Oliver var noskimwords = 'true'; var _comscore = _comscore || []; _comscore.push({ c1: "2", c2: "17817337" }); (function() { var s = document.createElement("script"), el = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.async = true; s.src = (document.location.protocol == "https:" ? "https://sb" : "http://b") + ".scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js"; el.parentNode.insertBefore(s, el); })();

Family Recipe - Banana Bread

MAY 01 @ 18:12

by AshleyA

My grandmotherís banana bread is legendary in my family. She made it for special occasions, birthdays, and ďjust becauseĒ days Ė those once-in-a-while days when thereís nothing special going on, but she happened to have some turned bananas in the house. A similar occasion presented itself recently when I had three blackened bananas in my fruit bowl and her handwritten recipe near by. Though I have the recipe memorized, thereís something about seeing my grandmotherís perfect cursive handwriting that brings her back to me. I can hear her voice in my head while I make the bread, telling me I need to mash the bananas a bit more or donít forget able the three tablespoons of milk she forgot to add in the recipe till the back of the recipe card. Itís funny how cooking can bring us closer to people we love. The passing down of handwritten recipes, or simply remembering a particular taste or smell can reawaken an entire memory we might not have known we possessed. Itís a fascinating connection our brains have with our olfactory and taste buds.

In this batch of bread, I made three tea loaves to give away to friends. I also plan on tucking my grandmotherís recipe in each of their bread packages, extending a bit of my grandmotherís love and legacy a little further. Though I canít make bread for all of you, I can still share the recipe, tucked into an electronic envelope, with love.

Filomenaís Banana Bread

Ĺ cups of oil
ĺ cup of sugar (or Ĺ cup for less sweet)
3 ripe mashed bananas
2 eggs, beaten
3 Tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Ĺ teaspoon baking powder
Ĺ teaspoon salt (a little less, actually)
Ĺ cup chopped walnuts (you can add more)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat oil and sugar. Add eggs and mashed bananas. Beat well. Add dry ingredients. Beat well. Add in the milk and vanilla and mix. Stir in chopped nuts.

Pour into greased loaf pan. Cook for 1 hour. Cool well and cover with a bowl to store overnight.*

*Instead of covering any bread with foil or a sandwich bag, a bowl keeps crust crispy and stops bread from becoming rubbery.

5 replies

Login or register to make a comment

MAY 01 @ 18:23

by mummza

Thankyou for sharing this Ashley ,I wil try this the next time my family all come home .

MAY 01 @ 21:44

by mr spice

Thanks...I will try this as we love Bananas. Lovely story.thumbsup

MAY 01 @ 22:01

by @nGoose1

Its been ages since bannana bread, must give this a try. Looks yummmmy!

MAY 01 @ 22:22

by AshleyA

Thanks, all! It smells delicious, but I'm holding off on tasting this one until can I share it with my friends tomorrow. A little tough to have to wait! smile

MAY 03 @ 12:43

by futurechef24

aww, sweet of you to share it smile
will definitely try it..after exams hmm

Pages: 1
var signup = { alphapopper: '#popup1', thanks_gift_image: 'gift-card-wine-us.png', ignore_cookie: false, is_logged_in: false, is_carl:false, is_allowed: true, is_dormant: false }