Riding a boat to school

MAY 05 @ 17:07

by cohphanta

When my mother was little and in school, they didn't have roads in the area she lived.  They had to take boats to school.  If they wanted to go into "town" they also had to take a boat.  They had to have an ID to do so. I still have my great grand mothers.  When Huey Long was elected Govenor of Louisiana, he had roads built into areas that previously had been completely cut off from the rest of the state.  While it was good for them to finally have better avenues to travel, it almost destroyed the Cajun culture.  Previously, the Cajuns were pretty closed off and lived they way they had since they came to Louisiana.  Their way of life changed drastically for the first time in almost 200 years.  Cajuns are primarily Catholic and even those who are not anymore...they still follow the Catholic holidays and rituals.  Even though I haven't been Catholic since I was about 14, until about 3 or 4 years ago I still observed the "no meat on Fridays" during lent.  I don't work on Good Friday or Easter.

2 replies

Login or register to make a comment

MAY 08 @ 07:29

by JoyYamDaisy

I can imagine the way roads changed things. It is true for all communities I guess, when their isolation goes. And then everything is so fast you blink and precious things are gone!

MAY 08 @ 15:13

by cohphanta

At least our food didn't go away!! It spread and now the whole world knows the fabulousness of cajun food!!

Pages: 1
var signup = { alphapopper: '#popup1', thanks_gift_image: 'gift-card-wine-us.png', ignore_cookie: false, is_logged_in: false, is_carl:false, is_allowed: true, is_dormant: false }
$(document).ready(function(){ //for restaurants page if ($(location).attr('href') == "http://www.jamieoliver.com/restaurants"){ $('#restaurants_menu_wrapper').css('display','block'); } // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 end });