Jamie Oliver var noskimwords = 'true'; var _comscore = _comscore || []; _comscore.push({ c1: "2", c2: "17817337" }); (function() { var s = document.createElement("script"), el = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.async = true; s.src = (document.location.protocol == "https:" ? "https://sb" : "http://b") + ".scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js"; el.parentNode.insertBefore(s, el); })();

McCracken Parsnips

MAY 07 @ 22:31

by AshleyA

I have never set out to invent a recipe. Like most people, I follow the blueprint of a recipe, occasionally adding a few ingredients of my own, expanding a side dish into a main course, blowing out appetizers into tapas, or building a second layer on a cake. Recently, however, I've had parsnips on my mind. I had been looking for a creative, culinary-centric way to send someone a virtual 'thank you.' Given this person's penchant for parsnips, I couldn't resist the challenge of inventing something new. I wanted it to be an easy, year-round recipe that kids would enjoy (and might be able to help their parents make), and counterbalance the overabundance of sweet parsnip recipes out there. With this recipe, I think I've managed to architect a nice little savory and sweet snack.

McCracken Parsnips

Ingredients

3 large parsnips, trimmed and peeled
1 cup of cornflake crumbs
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon everyday seasoning (I use Trader Joe's brand)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Generous pinch of salt
(Optional: a pinch of cayenne pepper <-highly recommended, if you like some heat)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a gallon-size sandwich bag combine the cornflake crumbs, everyday seasoning, pepper(s) and salt. Close the bag and give it a good shake to combine.

Cut the parsnips into 3" long x 1/8" wide matchsticks (or thereabouts. They don't have to be perfect). In a separate gallon-size bag, combine parsnips and olive oil and shake until fully coated (if you're making these with children, I suggest tossing the bag around in a game of hot potato).

Next, pour the olive oil-covered parsnips into the bag of dry ingredients. Shake until fully coated. Empty bag of parsnips into a large baking dish and bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until they shrivel down and are slightly browned and crispy.

Feeds two snacking children or two adults, trying not to spoil their dinner.

3 replies

Login or register to make a comment

MAY 08 @ 15:09

by mummza

I am awful t following recipes !
bet those parsnips you cooked tasted great.

My favorite wat of cooking parsnips has to be one of the simplist , cooked this way by my father and i think also my grandmother.

Peel and cut the parsnips leaving them in halves of quarters , so fairy large pieces.
Bol them in a little salted water untill they are almost cooked.
Drain then and whilst they are still hot saute them till golden in a frypan with a good amount of butter , has to be butter, but you can put a splosh of oil in as well to prevent the butter burning !
Season with a little fresh ground pepper and serve imediatly.

I love the parsnips cooked like this , slightly crisp an buttery on the outside whilst remaining beautifully soft and tasty, they are a family favorite.

MAY 10 @ 01:22

by AshleyA

Mummza,

That sounds delicious! I'll have to try it next time I get parsnips.

JUN 21 @ 10:56

by @nGoose1

Yep me too! 
I heard Gordon Ramsay talk about following recipes,he uses recipes for inspiration. He pointed out that following recipes to the letter can look good but not taste as good. I wish I still had the link. Gordon like Jamie is worth watching.
I love Parsnips,cornflakes really?I guess I have to try this recipe.

Pages: 1
var signup = { alphapopper: '#popup1', thanks_gift_image: 'gift-card-wine-us.png', ignore_cookie: false, is_logged_in: false, is_carl:false, is_allowed: true, is_dormant: false }