MsKupcakes

APR 07 @ 16:35

by JoyYamDaisy

I wanted to make the most gorgeous pink cupcakes in honour of MsK. But what to do? I don't eat sugar now, and what is a pink cupcake without sugar?
But to celebrate Karin's sense of fun I decided to invent a savoury cupcake that was pretty in pink and absolutely delicious.
Yes, these are savoury muffins with cream cheese topping coloured with beetroot juice.
And they are scrumptious!

Beetroot Muffins
1 medium beetroot, peeled and finely grated
1 medium onion, chopped very finely,
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 tsp roasted cumin powder
finely grated cheddar (I used less than 100g)
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bi carb soda
1 tsp salt

2 eggs
275g yoghurt/milk mix
80g butter melted and cooled

Place the finely grated beetroot, sprinkled with a little salt, in a cloth over a sieve and leave  while you get everything else ready. Then squeeze the juice into a small bowl and keep it to colour the topping.
Use the butter to gently fry the onion until it is soft and golden. Drain it so the onion flavoured butter can be mixed with the eggs and yoghurt.

Mix the flour, baking powder, bi carb and salt. (Big bowl)
Mix the onion flavoured butter, eggs and yoghurt. (Bowl or jug)
Mix the squeezed beetroot, cooked onion, cumin, salt, lemon rind, walnuts and cheese (Bowl)

Now the beetroot/onion mix goes into the dry ingredients and stir until evenly mixed.
Then quickly mix the wet ingredients through and distribute mixture into prepared muffin tray (I put a pattypan in each hole)
Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 18 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
Your kitchen will be smelling fantastic! Savoury sweet onion and cumin! Mmmmmm...

Cool them on a wire tray.

Cream Cheese topping
Mix a block 250g cream cheese with a pinch of salt, a little lemon zest, a tiny bit of lemon juice, enough milk to bring it to a spreading consistency and enough beetroot juice to colour it pink. Keep tasting til you have it right.

2 of these made a lovely brunch! They were great fun to make, so god bless MsK for the inspiration and the fun of them. I couldn't do the gorgeous swirls Janiz has on her cupcakes, so I added marigolds! That is my cupcake teapot in the picture, and a candle burning.
Making these has mitigated the shock of Ms K's death and has given me something that will keep her memory with me.

1 reply

Login or register to make a comment

APR 07 @ 16:54

by mummza

What a great idea thumbsupBeetroot cupcakes wth cream cheese topping and topped with matigolds.... lovely big_smile

Pages: 1
var signup = { alphapopper: '#popup1', thanks_gift_image: 'gift-card-wine-us.png', ignore_cookie: false, is_logged_in: false, is_carl:false, is_allowed: true, is_dormant: false }