Peppers for lunch here in Spain

AUG 21 @ 11:12

by jamie

Ok I’ve never done this before but if your a food geek like me I may put a regular pic and info up of cool famous ingredients to get your general knowledge up from my travels around the world, let me know what you think ? And of-course as per norm your comments can only make it better because at large you guys are amazing!! ....ok back to my lunch yesterday -  simply Fried Padrón peppers, are delicious !! ( you can pick these up pretty easy) These are famous produce of Padrón in Spain,  they are a small green pepper from the Capsicum annuum family. They are served quickly fried with a little olive oil and coarse salt ( Malden salt from essex is best man ). Most !!!! taste sweet and mild, although some are particularly hot and spicy, and may catch you out!  The peppers grown towards August/September tend to contain more capsaicin ( this is a natural morphine like chemical that will stimulate your endorphins - the bodies happy hormones !! Whoop whoop!! Who needs drugs man !! Just hit the chillis!!) The ones of June/July...aka these will be milder. Around 15,000 kg of peppers are grown in Padrón each year . The first pepper seeds from Mexico came to Padron in the 16th century, bless the Mexicans man. Ok how was that any good? Any more tips? Have you tried these peppers?

J x

3 replies

Login or register to make a comment

AUG 23 @ 10:25

by Ashen

awesome blog post.. I have never tried them , but have heard about the wildcard factor and loved the idea that you can play russian roulette with the heat level.

Is that any benifit to the frying vs say grilling them , flavourwise??

In the fall I grill a bushel of sheppard peppers over charcoal then peel and freeze for the winter months , would frying some be a good experiment?

AUG 24 @ 23:14

by mummza

I bught some red chillis recently , same shape as the pardon peppers , Tasted a few as I chopped them and added them to the water melon , mint and fetta salad. Then I thought I;d add another one chopped in rings on top of the salad to make it look fancy , chopped in into rings and scattered over the top of the salad and I thought I might as well eat a little of it that was left on the chopping board ... mistake .. that one was pure fire , I could not taste anything for ages after ... removed t quickly from the top of the salad as there were grannies and small children at the party we were going too .
I never realised that these pardon peppers could be red in colour as the only ones I had seen before had been green.

FEB 10 @ 16:06

by user2014

i love peppers roasted jamie,but speaking of your trip in spain is there anything other special than the peppers that have you tasted...big_smile smile

Pages: 1
var signup = { alphapopper: '#popup1', thanks_gift_image: 'gift-card-wine-us.png', ignore_cookie: false, is_logged_in: false, is_carl:false, is_allowed: true, is_dormant: false }
$(document).ready(function(){ //for restaurants page if ($(location).attr('href') == "http://www.jamieoliver.com/restaurants"){ $('#restaurants_menu_wrapper').css('display','block'); } // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 end });