Prawn, chorizo and chickpea stew

NOV 30 @ 16:47

by eilybake

This is my first ever post! I've always loved cooking and am now overcoming my techno phobia by starting a blog here on Jamie.i cooked this in our school cook-off and the food tech teacher asked for the recipe so it must be good! Based a bit on a Gordon Ramsay recipe, but made it my own. Need to season pretty much all the way along. Taste often!

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 red/orange peppers, chunkily chopped
1 small red onion, peeled & finely chopped
1 chorizo sausage, 225g (I like the spicy one)
2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
3 tablespoons sherry
1 tin (240g) chickpeas, drained
400ml chicken stock
100g spinach
Tin of tomatoes
Handful of torn basil
Seasoning
Pack of peeled cooked prawns, or proper posh frozen king/tiger prawns, in which case cook them a little bit in a frying pan beforehand.

1. Heat the oil in a large ('bout 3-4 liter capacity) wide bottomed frying pan.
2. Peel and slice the chorizo. Add it to the pan with the onions and peppers. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
3. Add the sherry vinegar and sherry and reduce down for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the (drained) chickpeas and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Then add 200ml of the chicken stock. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. I put my hob on about 5 for this (on a scale of 1-9) without a lid.
5. Tip in the tin of tomatoes. If they're plus tomatoes you might need to chop hem a bit smaller with scissors. Almost cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
6. Add the basil, the prawns and the rest of the chicken stock. Simmer for a couple of minutes to cook the prawns then add the spinach, stirring it in. Once the spinach has wilted serve immediately.

Nice with couscous or rice. Freezes, and if you make it without the prawns it keeps for a few days in the fridge. We tend to make it as is then pick out all the prawns before fridging! Hope you all like this.

1 reply

Login or register to make a comment

NOV 30 @ 16:51

by eilybake

Realized I've got some spelling errors there. On step five it should say plum tomatoes not 'plus' and also them instead of 'hem'. Sorry. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Pages: 1
$(document).ready(function(){ //for restaurants page if ($(location).attr('href') == "http://www.jamieoliver.com/restaurants"){ $('#restaurants_menu_wrapper').css('display','block'); } // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 end });