by Cuban Cuisine
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon oregano
11/2 teaspoon cumin
you may substitute the above spices by using 2 tablespoon's of Goya's Salzonador, complete Cuban spice mix available through Cuban Cuisine at www.cubancuisine.co.uk.
1 bay leaf
½ cup raisins or sultanas
4 cloves garlic
1 medium white onion (chopped fine)
1 small green pepper (chopped)
1/2 cup beef stock
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chopped pimentos (optional)
2 small potatoes (peeled and diced)
8 to 10 green olives (pitted)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for sautéing
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
2. In a frying pan, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onions, green pepper, and garlic until soft.
3. Add the ground beef mixture, beef stock, tomato paste and tomato sauce. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
4. Add the diced potato, raisins and bay leaf. Cover and cook another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are done.
5. Remove the cover. Add the olives and cook uncovered 15 minutes or until the liquid is fully evaporated, but the meat is still moist.
6. Serve the picadillo warm with rice or on a bed of lettuce or let cool and use as a filling for empanadas and papas rellenas. visit www.cubancuisine.co.uk
Serves: 4 - 6 servings.