Jamie Oliver

I say biscuit, you say scone?

APR 11 @ 20:25

by jenfuchigami

In the US, biscuits are a type of scone. Moist, fluffy and buttery. Best eaten while still warm and fresh out of the oven, they are often served with savory things like fried chicken, on top of a chicken pot-pie filling or slathered with gravy. I like them with some butter and jam or honey.

I’ve struggled in the past trying to get biscuit that is light and fluffy and finally have the perfect recipe. I had a bag of “00” pasta flour on the counter to make some noodles and had a sudden inspiration (and craving) to try a batch of buttermilk biscuits with the flour. My theory was that the finely ground flour would be perfect to create the light as a feather texture needed for the perfect biscuit. The result?...

…Amazing! The flour worked like a charm. That along with another little trick where I put the flour/butter into the freezer for 10 minutes resulted in the perfect buttermilk biscuits. The minute they come out of the oven (and before I share them with anyone else), I break one open, slather some butter and jam on it and gobble it up. Chef’s gotta taste them first to make sure they are okay right? Hehe.

Oh and if you look at the pictures, you may notice I make ‘drop biscuits’ rather than cut them out with a biscuit cutter. I’m lazy and they taste the same either way ☺
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/memb … ts%20/7001
Oh and here's how I understand how these things are called:

Brits         vs   Yanks
Biscuits    =    Cookies
Scones     =    Scones
Scones     ≈    Biscuits

1 reply

Login or register to make a comment

APR 13 @ 16:23

by mummza

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/memb … pe%29/1865

thought youd like to see this old scone recipe to see how they differ to your American 'Biscuits' .
the British Scone very definatly is rolled out and never dropped onto the cooking surface.
But that said sometimes it is patted into a round shape and then cut through into triangles before it is baked , if this is done then the scone is cut through or broken at the marks before its served.

As a general rule ( although a bit old fashioned now and not everyone adhears to it anymore )
as a general rule a straight sided cutter is used for savory baking and a fluted cutter is used for sweet baking

We dont use much buttermilk here in England or Wales and it can be quite hard to find.

I find it interesting hw many things are very similar ,but slightly different and get called a different name.

Pages: 1
var signup = { alphapopper: '#popup1', thanks_gift_image: 'gift-card-wine-generic.png', ignore_cookie: false, is_logged_in: false, is_carl:false, is_allowed: true, is_dormant: false }