Jamie Oliver

forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Thu 15 Dec 05 8:39pm

trainee chef

From chester
Member since Thu 15 Dec 05

Re: Can you give me any top tips on getting started as a chef?

since i was 12 ive always enjoyed cooking my first ever food that i made was with my mum and it was white choc rice cripsie cakes and i enjoyed it plus i got to lick the bowl best bit  big_smile  any way just to let u all know my life story lol i always read jamies books i got em all apart from school dinners and i wondered if i sent em to ur restranunt whould u sign 1 for me i keep meaning to go to bbc food show but i couldent go coz i was cooking in collage and collage wouldnet let me go if any 1 wanna get in touch and talk bout recipes e mail me at keiththevampire@hotmail.com ps. jamie could u email me bout a job at 15 when i finhish collage lol

Likes (0)

#32 Sat 24 Dec 05 12:06am

G'Chef

From Dunfermline
Member since Fri 23 Dec 05

Hello Chef's!
Am 16, an am doing a hospitality course at my local college! But recently got accepted into Gleneagle's appretice program, where there will train me for 4 years! an thenthe world my lobster, or so they say! an i no for a fact that college course's will be nothing compared to what am about to start! so my advice to all you chefs out there, GET AN APRENT'SHIP at a hotel ,most 4 or 5 star hotels do them! will give you a better start in the world!

Mark
xx

P.S Might Work Under You In 4 Years Jamie!!!! If You Lukin!!!

Likes (0)

#33 Fri 30 Dec 05 12:17pm

Katiec

From Wagga Wagga NSW
Member since Wed 28 Dec 05

hey jamie and friends,

Im 19 years old and have completed my HSC and have a Certifcate II in Hospitality (operations). For the last year I have been trying to get an apprenticeship but so far had no luck. Have applied for numerous jobs. I have applied for jobs in Wagga Wagga (country side) and Sydney (Campbelltown).

I'm just wondering where do i go from here, i dont seem to be moving forward into my dream (which is to become a chef). I have done 2 workplacements where i had a great time at both of them and I have basic skills. I have been told that im basically im nearly a 2nd apprentice chef because of the Cert II Hospitality, I done. (That i only need to complete a couple more modules to be a 2nd year apprentice chef)

I want to be a chef more than anythink, I love cooking and definely tasting it.

If anyone could give any advice or suggestion what i should do, that would be great!

:? Kate

Likes (0)

#34 Sat 31 Dec 05 2:59pm

Chefjk

From New York
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

Its a tough career to get going .  However get out thier and see what you can do .  Especially when first starting, think of different places to learn different cuisines.  I started out by working in a bakery when I was 15.  At that time I did not know what I wanted to do.  But I meet a very good friend who introduced me to the restaurant industry.  This was the just the start for me.  I worked for two years after grad. high school, and then decided to attend the Culinary Institute of America .  Best thing I ever did.  Theier I learned the basics and was told time and time again I would not come out knowing all.  I was not going to be a chef for 10 years at least.  Istead of being the garbage under the barrel , I would be at the bottom of that barrel. I was told constintly to go out and work hard, and learn all I can .  When I stopped learning after 1 or two years.  Move on . Learn more.  And I did .  I moved around New York from differnt restuarants, to Scottsdale Az. to work for some great resort hotels, to Los Angeles for great hotels and then to the pacific Northwest.  Learning differnt cooking techniques from different areas with different cuisine.  This was a great experience and a great way to learn.  Your just beggining your journey ,not to make the big bucks, but to some day give you the oppertunity to .  First you must invest in your self and learn all you can.  The day you stop learning in this industry , is the day your passion has left you . Not every one can attend a culinary school, however I feel that what Jamie is doing is absolutly wonderful. To start a program and give back , is the awsome.  I was not priviliged to see that program Jamies Kitchen on T.V. in the U.S., however I did buy it and watched.  Its really what a kitchen is like, and wish it was shown  on T.V. in the U.S.  I really think this is a great reality show, and shows its not as easy as people think.

Likes (0)

#35 Tue 03 Jan 06 4:08pm

georgie2702

From Spalding, Lincolnshire
Member since Tue 03 Jan 06

Hi Jamie and all,

Do you think at 43 I'm too old to start a cooking career.  When I was at college many years ago lol I decided to apply to catering college in my final year, my parents thought it was a waste of education and wound'nt let me go.

All my life I have regretted it, I have cooked and always enjoyed it, do you think it's too late to start now.  I have spent most of my adult life in a corporate office in London, since moving here to Lincolnshire I have decided to make a change in career.

What would the advice be on starting, perhaps a City & Guilds course.

I think Jamie your a great chef, and an inspiration to us all.

Regards,

Georgie2702

Likes (0)

#36 Thu 05 Jan 06 11:23pm

chef stacy

From london
Member since Thu 05 Jan 06

hi i'm new to this , i'm 18 and a catering student in my second yr and loving it  smile , if i was not cooking i don't no wat i wood be doing . i started cooking when i was bout 6 yrs old but tht was only at home , not got a very gud job bout iot a job in a kitchen at the end of the day , i'm only kitchen help at the mo , but can't wait till end of feb cos i'm going to be full time chef at the week ends . finding it really hard to get a job because most reasturants want ppl with a least 2yrs of experenice , my chefs at college are doing a lot to help me thou , talking to there mates tht own resturants so hopefuly gud things goona happen.  well later peeps  . lov stacy xxxx

Likes (0)

#37 Fri 06 Jan 06 1:06am

Jeffrey

From New Zealand
Member since Thu 05 Jan 06

Hey Guys,
Was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I am just at the starting point of the hospitality industry. Found a really good job placement as a kitchen hand(with food prep duties) and was discussing my career with my head chef. That guy suggested that I do an apprenticeship with him and the catering company as the London City and guild is no longer a good course to take because he says that the training is no longer up to industry standards.
  So, was just wondering what should I do? Because if I start a apprenticeship with him and the company it will be all well if I stayed with the company.What if I go overseas to work and I do not have a qualifications?
PS: I will also need to fit some time for uni, so working will be part time.

Likes (0)

#38 Wed 11 Jan 06 7:58pm

emzi

From wales
Member since Wed 08 Jun 05

hi ppl i was just wunderin wt wud b beta to get in to the career i ave been offered a job in a michilen starred restarunt when i am 16 do i take that or go to college for a bit wud luv to hear wt u ave gt to say xx emma

Likes (0)

#39 Wed 11 Jan 06 9:01pm

okole1234

From Boise, Idaho USA
Member since Wed 16 Feb 05

Hey jamie, when is the next time you will be in the states? I am in Boise, Idaho and am a huge fan. Please let me know when you will be near so that i may meet you.  Also, i have been trying to find out where you get your chef coats? would you be willing to tell me your secret? I have been trying to order one just like that with the hidden snap buttons. Thanks.

Likes (0)

#40 Wed 18 Jan 06 7:22am

knifeskills

From Alberta
Member since Wed 18 Jan 06

I really truly enjoy cooking, and like restaruants though I'm not entirely sure if I want to persue professionl cooking further. I've been at it since ten. It seems like without formal training I'm just blundering through the whole affair, no real idea how to build recipes or anything, and conversely that formal training would be mostly inapplicable once working cause of time mandates and budgeting. (at least so my experience with trade schools dictates) hence my sarcastic username, set of knifeskills and not much else.

Anyone able to offer up some advice?

Likes (0)