forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Wed 01 Feb 06 3:05am

knifeskills

From Alberta
Member since Wed 18 Jan 06

Re: Can you give me any top tips on getting started as a chef?

Regarding your above post, I've posted my predicament on the page prior to this one in the forum and I was kind of wondering what your take on it is.

Basically, I like cooking commerically a lot, which is where all my experience comes from as I've been at it since ten or so. Anyways somehow in all of that I never managed to train under a proper chef and have never learned a lot of basic elements of proper cooking, just enough to know they exist more or less.

Currently I'm a mechanic but I'd like to go back to cooking for a while - I just would rather avoid spending another few years in vocational school needlessly.

Likes (0)

#52 Wed 01 Feb 06 10:08am

Sniper75

From Edinburgh
Member since Thu 26 Jan 06

I'd say contact all your local (TOP quality) hotels and restaraunts. (no less than 4 * or 1 rossette) Ask for either sponsorship (to send you to college and work off the money) or a job, where they do NVQ's or SVQ's in house.

Like I said before in another thread, I am just starting to do my SVQ's now, but have been cooking for a while and have good skills. (or so I think)

Experience is worth more than a bit of paper anyday.  As for the basics.....Get the pratical cookery book.  It's like a bible of basics.

I have the eighth edition (old now) by Victor Ceserani, Ronald Kinton and David Foskett.

It's what you should start to read first.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Likes (0)

#53 Sun 05 Feb 06 2:41am

hows your meez?

From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 05 Feb 06

Im not sure exactly how it works over in England. Do you not have the opportunity to apprentice under a chef? That is how I actualy qaulified here in Australia, i apprenticed under a chef for about 4 years, during that time you would go to college for 3, 6 week blocks through out those four years.
Thinking about a checkered career? Hold on and get ready for the ride of a life time! big_smile

Likes (0)

#54 Mon 06 Feb 06 1:57pm

brandl

From Southsea, Portsmouth
Member since Mon 06 Feb 06

Hi
I am really keen to get started with my own place where I would primarily like to make soups and shakes. I guess that soups (with the exception of chilled soups which aren't everyone's favourite) are a seasonal thing, so I thought that perhaps cakes and shakes alongside the soups could be a good idea.
Portsmouth has quite a big student community so there's lots of opportunities to do well if the location is good and the food is reasonably priced.
There isn't anything else like this in Portsmouth so maybe it could work. I'm also interested in the possibility of a vegetarian resturant as there is at present only one, small and very overpriced restuarant in town.
Just wondered if anyone had any tips on this? Be grateful for any advice!   big_smile

Likes (0)

#55 Fri 10 Feb 06 8:50am

Suasoria

From Johannesburg, South Africa
Member since Tue 07 Feb 06

I studied Hotel & Catering in Stellenbosch, South Africa , but r still not able 2 find work in that line.  I have been trying for 5 yrs now.

Seems that people in RSA think they r 2 high & mighty 2 employ people who have just finished their studies.  They do not care about the little guy at the very bottom.

How r we supposed 2 find work in that line if no one wants 2 help us?

Can anybody please help? sad

Likes (0)

#56 Sun 12 Feb 06 12:41pm

top-cheffette

From sandbach, cheshire, engalnd :P
Member since Sun 12 Feb 06

hey jamie is such a ace chef, im 15 and love to cook have made most of his dishes, they rule!
i am half way through ma 1st yr of GCSE and loving it, i am goin 2 b as good as u 1 day jamie  wink u are soo inspiring!. when i am older hehe i will open a restauraunt ne1 willing 2 help??? luv yall xx lauren hehe xx

Likes (0)

#57 Wed 15 Feb 06 10:38am

Slygorilla

From Australia
Member since Wed 15 Feb 06

Hey jamie im only in highschool but getting good marks and  stuff I was wondering what really inspired you to become a chef when you were just young

P.S
Loved the italian getaway brilliant and very funny

Likes (0)

#58 Sat 18 Feb 06 11:35pm

Marcos Bin

From Brazil
Member since Fri 17 Feb 06

In 2003 i went to Sydney Australia for study, business, and there i got a job at JetBar-café on Queen Victoria Building, i start there like a waiter but in one week i asked my boss if i can change to the kitchen, so i started work and i just loved, i was one year in Sydney and was there that i saw Jamie Oliver the first time.
Guys for sure Jamie was my big symbol for start cook!
Last year i was in London, work place Dim-t Asian food in Charlotte st, Hampsted and High Gate Village, great experience and London was fantastic and i had opportunity to visit the Fifteen, to be honest i was a little jealous to see the guys working with jamie.  wink 
jamie learn wifh you is desire mate...
jamie tanks mate for contribute in my Chef´s Life!
I´m your FAN number one
Big hug mate
Marcos from Brazil
Marcos from Brazil

Likes (0)

#59 Thu 23 Feb 06 12:24pm

Ramona1978

Occupation Catering employee
From Zoetermeer The Netherlands
Member since Mon 20 Feb 06

On of my biggest wishes is to pick up my Catering education again,and found nice job that i can Combine with my little girl.
11 years ago when i finished High School, where i did a Bakery education, i started Education for Catering/Cooking.
4 days working 1 day a week to school, At the time i worked at a cafetria/Small restaurant, But my chef didn't teach me notthing at all , so i had to quit, and give me up my education because i was half way into the course, and founding new work at that time , was very hard in Holland.
Last couple of years i worked in serveral restaurants and in the Catering, so i did up some expirence, Now that my daughter is gettin bigger and is 5 years old now, I really wanna pick up my education again and found nice job that i can combine with daughter, can someone give me advise , what the best way is start this all off again

Likes (0)

#60 Sun 05 Mar 06 9:13pm

amarantha

From oxford
Member since Sun 05 Mar 06

hi everybody,
I'm from italy, I run the kitchen of an italian restaurant since I was 19,then I decided to move to uk, but I'm afraid that the experience that I have would not be enough in uk cause I never trained as a chef in a proper way,I just followed my granma and mum footsteps.and I'm studying international politics at pisa university.what should I do?I so want to live and work in uk

Likes (0)