forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#61 Tue 07 Mar 06 3:18pm

ratih pertiwi

From indonesia
Member since Tue 07 Mar 06

Re: Can you give me any top tips on getting started as a chef?

Hello Mr O
It's so nice that I can write this to you.  yikes
I live in Jakarta Indonesia,my family has a family business which is catering business. I am in the 2nd generation & really enjoy this business, by this forums I want to ask a question.
I like to help my aunt in the kitchen whether to cut some vegetables or make rhu(I don't know how to spell,she uses this for the layer in lasagna) I always help her in any kind of chance I have ,but I can't remember some recipes at all.  :cry: Do I have to memorise it just like a school book??

Likes (0)

#62 Wed 08 Mar 06 6:19pm

benbob

From Nottingham, UK
Member since Wed 08 Mar 06

Thanks to many posters on this topic,
especially Sniper75 for recommending Practical Cookery, just ordered my copy and I'm looking forward to spending my evenings learning from it.

If anyone else fancies trying a great cook book, for italian food, get a copy of The Art of Food and Science in the Kitchen by Artusi Pelligrino, it's not exactly detailed but a total Joy of a book! Not easy to find either but well worth it. I thought I'd spread the word!

I cook as often as I can but I think something more structured like this will help a great deal.

My plan is to get a couple of basic qualifications over maybe 6 months whilst working somewhere full time before I head off travelling europe and the world to increase my food knowledge and cooking experience. This is all a while away yet though as I have a PhD to finish! My parents were rather shocked this weekend when I told them my plans! I wanted to be a chef since I was about 5, I think they thought I'd forgotten about it!!

Likes (0)

#63 Wed 15 Mar 06 8:52am

Kj Lim

From Malaysia
Member since Wed 15 Mar 06

doing it with passion and lotss of love will make me sucess in cooking.enjoy the food that makes u happy.thanks Jamie,u r the best.

Likes (0)

#64 Thu 25 May 06 11:33am

masterchef

Member since Thu 25 May 06

jamie i want to be a famous chef just like you but how did you get where you are today what did you have to do

Likes (0)

#65 Mon 29 May 06 9:36pm

beccaj

Member since Mon 29 May 06

HI

ive done 2 years at college and have all of this

Food & Drink Service Level 2
Food & Preparation Level 2
ABC Pastry Level 3
Food Preparation and Cooking Level 1
ABC Pastry Level 2
Basic Food Hygiene
Welcome Host
Bar Persons

and ive worked in a local pub(been asking for years but made me wait till i was 18 )  in the kitchen for nearly a year but every job i go for say no because i dont have 3 years Experience  in a high quailty place, but how are you meant to get this when knowone will give you a go?!

Likes (0)

#66 Tue 06 Jun 06 6:27pm

Calvin245

From Hong Kong
Member since Wed 17 May 06

Dear jamie`s and jamie`s office staff,

Well,I hope you can see this mail. I have sent a air mail to your office in london.It`s want around 10 days already. But I just want to know, did you received ?? The air mail are really really importance for me. My name is Calvin, from hong kong and also I have sent my Application form to Melbourne, Australia on 29 may 06 and I`m still waiting for reply. Now I`m working at the hotel and I asked some of the executive chefs about advice and they tried to help me but it was seem nobody can help me. Sometimes I don`t understand why, even I got a lot and a lot of passion and no matter how much I love to cook, so !! Who care!! Reasons why , I love to cook because I like the way I cook and I cook simple but nice, most of my friends and my family love it, but I still can`t make my dream come true.I try everything I could but ............!!
Anyway, I hope you can see this mail and can you please give me some advice.

I hope you had received my air mail and I`m sure you will know more about what`s going on to a guy who`s losing.

Thank you so so much

Calvin( from hong kong)

Likes (0)

#67 Sun 18 Jun 06 2:12pm

gabrolio

From Bucharest, Romania
Member since Sun 18 Jun 06

Hello Jamie,

My name is Gabriel and I'm a 26 years old romanian and I don't miss one episode of your TV show. I love to cook and I was wondering what do I need to do if I want to come to London for a trial test!? I didn't took any cooking classes because in our country you can't make a decent living as a chef, so...

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

My best regards,
Gabriel Petrescu

Likes (0)

#68 Mon 03 Jul 06 6:46am

Dogs rock

From Australia
Member since Wed 29 Mar 06

Hey thanks for the advice,

I'm only 15 and it's time at school to decide what we want to do in the future and I think it would be great to be a chef big_smile .

See ya :P

Likes (0)

#69 Sat 08 Jul 06 5:00pm

Chicagochef

From Chicago, IL
Member since Sat 08 Jul 06

Jamie,

I'll try to make this short, I am 14 (on july 15) and my dream is to work under you or Thomas Keller at the French Launrdy . To acomplish such a thing I will take your advice but how do I convince the owner of a local restaurant, Spacca Napoli (a great restaurant) to let a 14 teen year old work there? You are such an inspiration to people around the globe so Thank you for being You !

Peace
Gabe

Likes (0)

#70 Tue 01 Aug 06 12:41pm

Matt69

Forum champ
Occupation Future No. 1 Chef in the world !!!
From Melbourne
Member since Fri 14 Apr 06

To be a top chef you have to be passionate , inspired and of coarse have some skill .

Likes (0)