Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Thu 20 Oct 05 2:30pm

Rory

Occupation Conservation
From North East England
Member since Tue 26 Apr 05

Re: A message for the Oliver Family.

Hi Annie, Kaff and Mrs D.
I feel like a fraud now - so kind of you to say such nice things about my name on here. I have to confess its not my real name. oops
It is my nickname and is a play on my surname. My real name is Clare but there are so many other Clare's in my group of friends and colleagues that we eventually resorted to nicknames based on our surnames to avoid confusion. So although quite a few people do call me Rory, its not my name!
Kjab - I'm hoping for plenty of snow this year as the met office are predicting a really cold winter  big_smile . Tonight I'll be making spinach and feta puff pastry pasties for mum and dad, maybe with homemade potato wedges and salad. I also plan to make them vegetarian moussaka using Delia's recipe for the most part but topping it with goats cheese mash. I have also bought in the ingredients for veggie thai green curry, but not sure they'll go for this - my mum isn't a spicy food fan and she hates the smell of cumin so they don't really eat curry. Last time they visited I persuaded them to come to an indian restaurant and although they didn't hate the food I don't think my mum was overly impressed.
I got a bargain bag of russet apples cheap the other day too, so thinking of mixing some of them with plums and making a crumble. Last time I made crumble I added 'salad sprinkles' consisting of pine nuts, sunflower kernels and pumpkin seeds to the crumble mix and it was lovely.
They arrive in a couple of hours! Can't wait.
Hugs to all
Rory

Likes (0)

#42 Thu 20 Oct 05 2:38pm

Kirsten

Forum champ
Member since Thu 06 Jan 05

Hi Rory!  I think most people have nicknames on here!  Kjab is just my initials.

Have a good time with the folks lol !

Likes (0)

#43 Thu 20 Oct 05 4:22pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Hey ya Mrs D!
The avian flu is spreading like wild fire around our parts of the world...so my mum was thinking of sending us all to have our flu shots! I am a bit apprehensive of it though,cos at this moment,my exams are just around the corner,and the side effects of the shot...hmmm... :?
Maybe after my exams...
Story?
Maybe not...but how about a joke?

The three finalists in the Women's Olympic swim meet were all novices to international competition. However, all had excelled during the early going, and after several heats the score was tied; the first match employing the breast stroke would decide the winner. The gun sounded, and the three young women dove into the water. Nancy finished first, crossing the pool in thirty seconds flat; Jean finished less than half a second later. Bringing up the rear was Mary, a blonde, who finished a full ten seconds after the others. As she completed the lap and climbed from the pool, she sputtered, "I protest! The other women were using their arms!"

roll

Likes (0)

#44 Thu 20 Oct 05 4:32pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

My name's not Mrs Gibba either - long story that I will tell at some point as to how I got it (trust me it wasn't chosen)

Likes (0)

#45 Thu 20 Oct 05 8:27pm

Kaff

Forum champ
Member since Fri 11 Feb 05

Hmm... my name isnt Kaff either! Funnily enough. Just the name my little brother gave me as a kid.

Rory - I love Delia's moussaka. And I love goats cheese mash. That all sounds utterly delicious. My parents aren't into Indian food either though my mum loves Chinese.

Snow... my other half loves it, I hate it - he was brought up in the south and me in the north east and he hardly ever saw it so is like a kid when it snows. I just find it soggy, slippy and impractical!!! Oh well.

have fun with your parents Rory!

Likes (0)

#46 Thu 20 Oct 05 10:49pm

Mrs.D.

From Heart Of The Canadian North
Member since Fri 30 Sep 05

Snow days are usually one of the best memories of any child in Canada, it's the only time you'll see 12 to 15 year olds actually watching the local news, [and if they don't care about being subtle], the weather channel. I know your little boy would love the snow, but there is a downside, the snowbanks can get so big that you can't even see your car on the other side! Trying to watch a little one can make you prematurely grey, [not that I'd know anything about that! wink ]. Have to say Ta, Ta soon and as always, I hope you had a reason to smile today, Take Care,..Mrs.D.

Likes (0)

#47 Thu 20 Oct 05 11:19pm

Mrs.D.

Your not a fraud Rory, you're a designer! You designed for yourself, a very cool nickname. You cannot imagine how I wish you were doing all that cooking in my little kitchen! Your parents are the lucky ones, they've got you AND a hell of a nice supper too. Take Care,..Mrs.D..  :arrow:  STEFANIE, this years flu shot will have NO effect at all on the Avian Flu, but it will help to fight the majority of common flu strains. What they inject you with is dormant, [dead], but your anti-bodies see it and build up a defence against it, so if you get infected with the live version you have a fighting chance to stop it in it's tracks. You shouldn't be affected much more than a few sore muscles where you got the shot. If you happen to get the flu shortly after, it's most likely you were already infected before you even got the shot. Now seeing as I'm blonde roll , I will end with a [right back at ya] joke. What do you call something that's brown, black and blue and lying in a ditch?- A brunette that's told one too many blonde jokes!  lol  wink ..Mrs.D..

Likes (0)

#48 Thu 20 Oct 05 11:26pm

Mrs.D.

Mrs.Gibbs, now you've gone and got me on pins & needles! I'll be waiting,..Mrs.D..  :arrow:  P.S... ALL THE NICKNAMES ARE GREAT, A GOOD LITTLE MYSTERY NEVER HURT ANYONE !

Likes (0)

#49 Thu 20 Oct 05 11:32pm

kittenclaws

Forum champ
From The Med
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Hello Mrs D. Thank you for your sweet comments on Elvis' thread.

Well I really am called kittenclaws. NOT  lol

I live on the Med. island of Mallorca. The mountains usually get a coating of snow in the winter but last year we had one raging blizzard in our village which is at sea level which lasted an hour or so.

My neighbours had moved here from Colombia earlier in the year and it was the first time their 5 year old boy had ever seen snow. He was out in the street at the height of it jumping and dancing and beside himself with joy. It was a tonic to watch him.

Even the "cool" teenagers were out scraping the snow from the cars (it wasn't settling on the ground) and having snowball fights.

Likes (0)

#50 Fri 21 Oct 05 2:27pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Hello to everybody in here! I havent seen this thread before....wonder how I missed it.

We all go beserk when snow is predicted here, we get a little bit every year, but it melts pretty fast. It tends to fall on the surrounding hills, not here in the valley.

We have been here 5 years and I havent ever been here for a good fall. I was busy giving birth to Nakita at Nepean Hospital in 2000 when we had a 2 day snowstorm, and visiting Dad in Bankstown last year when we had a complete white out for a few hours. We had a big storm (not snow) when I had Clayton in 2003 too. Wonder if that was a hint?

My nickname comes from my totally uncontrollable hair. (of course) I have had it since highschool, and I was born in '74. No mystery there, sorry Mrs D.

It has been very nice to meet you Mrs D. (I feel like we have been introduced since reading this thread.) I will make sure to pop in here now that I found it.

Likes (0)