forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1021 Mon 06 Feb 12 11:59am

nomis5

Member since Thu 10 Feb 11

Re: Soup's on!!

My favourite soup is leek and potato every time - so simple delicious and warming!

Here's a page with over 50 soup recipes on it, all with pictures which is a great help in deciding which to cook. http://www.cookuk.co.uk/soup-recipes.htm
big_smile

Likes (0)

#1022 Tue 07 Feb 12 9:52am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

My favourite soup at the moment is a spinach and coconut soup - very easy to make, too!  Melt a knob of butter in a deep pan, add a chopped onion, a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, then add 500g spinach, a pint of chicken stock, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes.  Add a can of coconut milk (full fat one is best), bring back to the boil whilst stirring, then remove from the heat and blitz until smooth.  Taste, adjust seasoning and serve  dribble

Likes (0)

#1023 Tue 07 Feb 12 10:50am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

olivia.. that sounds wickedly good.  I will have to pick up some coconut milk and spinach now.  big_smile

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#1024 Wed 08 Feb 12 12:22am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

I cooked Beetroot soup , a few weeks ago. Nice, but I really worried when it left my system. Betanin, obtained from the roots, is used industrially as red food colorants.
You get the picture.
Other nice soups, my mother cooked me a lamb with pearl barley soup. Shoulder blade bone was used to god efffect along with trimmings. I used the rest for kebabbs.

Likes (0)

#1025 Mon 13 Feb 12 3:30pm

Bellstafflove

Occupation Coordinator
From Iowa
Member since Mon 13 Feb 12

I think my favourite all time soup is leek and potato - lightly pureed, so that there are still a few chunky bits of potato left. I tried a new soup on the weekend though and I think it's a winner. I made French Onion soup, but instead of using beef broth I used chicken broth (for my non beef eating daughter) to make up some of the body missing from Mr. Moo, I substituted in a red wine instead of my usual go to - Chardonnay. It definitely did the trick and both my daughter and I were happy campers.

Likes (0)

#1026 Thu 16 Feb 12 7:18am

conniepei

Member since Thu 16 Feb 12

soup before meals and eat dessert after a meal,Sounds good!

Likes (0)

#1027 Thu 23 Feb 12 12:46am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

Right now, soup sounds fantastic!

Likes (0)

#1028 Thu 23 Feb 12 8:45pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Made a pot of Sup Ekor, a Malaysian oxtail soup.  Love it! 
http://ehoos.blogspot.com/2012/02/sup-e … -soup.html

I am going to start experimenting with Tom Yam, a Thai soup, in the immediate future.

Likes (0)

#1029 Wed 07 Mar 12 6:55pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Tonight is stephanie's CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER AND LEEK yummy

We are becoming soupe mad (only crazy before) and have found a handy site for soupes also cooked in the slow cooker...i know that very little imagination is needed to fill those soup bowls, the slow cooker has already made us some lovely mushroom and a great velouté of toamatoes...i would also one day try a ministrone.

Likes (0)

#1030 Fri 06 Jul 12 6:38pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Havnt searched if this soup has already been posted, probably has but its so tasty and uses up all the radish greens/tops.

Radish fan soup

Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
(serves 4):

- 2 bunches of radishes
- 4 potatoes
- 1 veg stock
- 1 onion
- 30 g butter
- 4 tablespoons cream
- Salt (i dont) and pepper

Peel and mince the onion. Peel the potatoes and slice them. Wash the radish tops.

In a saucepan, melt butter. Sauté the onion without colouring. Add the potatoes and radish tops. Sauté 5 minutes together.

Add broth. Cook for 20 minutes covered.

Add the cream at the last moment mix.

Serve with croutons, i add paprika over the top too.

Likes (0)