Subscribe to forums RSS

#1041 Sat 08 Feb 14 1:22am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Soup's on!!

ArmandOne wrote:

I've started making soup quite often now as it seems like the easiest way to pack loads of veg into a meal, and it's becoming a bit of a hobby. The best one I've made yet though was a Jamie Oliver recipe chorizo and chickpea soup that I made today. Doesn't particularly look the best, but then what soup does?  tongue  Tasted incredible, an well worth all the chopping tongue

I make a chorizo and chickpea soup, too. Can be fleshed out with some chicken thighs. Not pretty but yummy.

After sautéing off the onions and browning off the chorizo, I deglaze the pan with brandy (meant to be sherry but I don't keep it the house normally).

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1042 Sun 09 Feb 14 8:28am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

One of the nice things about soup (as I've noticed) is that it is a fairly flexible food.  It's a good way to deal with leftover veggies and meat.  You could even make your own stock if you wanted, or buy the stuff in a can or box.

Likes (0)

#1043 Sun 09 Feb 14 11:54am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I make my own stock from bits and pieces that I stash in the freezer or need to use up from the fridge. Kind of nice to do on those days I'm at home.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1044 Sun 02 Nov 14 12:02am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Weather getting colder where I live and we've been eating quite a lot of soup.
Much to my sisters scorn I bought a Cuisinart soup maker last year , that I cook and blend the soup in , something for me that's been a real help and if I blend it in the machine it makes a super smooth soup.

The soup we had for lunch was a pumpkin and chestnut soup , served with a spoonful of a low fat creme fraise , some extra bits of chestnut that I had almost dry fried to crisp up the little pieces of chestnut and a scattering of fresh thyme leaves .
It was super delicious .

What I added into the soup was ....
Half an onion
A smallish pumpkin ,
A large clove of garlic
Some vegetable stock
Fresh chilli
A few tablespoons full of cooked peeled chestnuts

I sautéed the onion and added the garlic ,
I them added the pumpkin , stock and chilli
Which I cooked together and when cooked I added the chestnuts , cooked them in to the soup for a few minutes then blended it.

Likes (0)

#1045 Sun 02 Nov 14 12:14am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Wow Mummza, my mind has been on the same track as yours (even though the seasons are opposite!). I've had chestnuts in the freezer waiting to be used and I plan to make soup today with pumpkin (already cooked and also from the freezer) and some dried porcini that have also been waiting for me to cook with them.

We are having ripple weather at them moment! Hot days one at a time with a cooler day in between. I like it! Today is cooler and I will enjoy the soup!

Likes (0)

#1046 Sun 02 Nov 14 12:35am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I think the porcini might overpower the gentle chestnut flavour Joy , but if course I might be wrong .

Likes (0)

#1047 Sun 02 Nov 14 12:58am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

Hmm, well I was inspired by a recipe I have for chestnut and mushroom soup, and then had the idea that pumpkin would go in well too. I didn't put the whole packet of mushrooms to soak, maybe half of it, maybe I won't even use all I have soaked! I'll see!

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Sun 02 Nov 14 12:58am)

Likes (0)

#1048 Sun 02 Nov 14 5:06am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

I did use all the mushrooms, but their flavour is subtle enough and the soup is delicious. It is one of those velvet soups and full of the tastes of Autumn!

Likes (0)

#1049 Sun 02 Nov 14 1:38pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

That's good , I might try it Joy

Likes (0)

#1050 Sun 02 Nov 14 1:47pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

wow mummza your soup is very seasonal...hey joy for this soup you need fresh not dried ones...

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)