#32 Sat 05 Nov 05 12:05am

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

Re: Soup's on!!

600-750 g of cod (boneless)
2 big potatoes, peeled and diced up
30-40 g of lardons
45 cl of creme fraiche (recipe is posted on JO somewhere...) - honestly, use less, this seems like quite a lot!
1 onion chopped up

Cook the lardons (cut up into pieces) in a pan for several minutes - avoid it getting browned.

Add onion and let it wilt, stiring occasionally.

Now, add the potatoes, and 500cl of water.

Let cook for a couple of minutes until the potatoes soften a bit.  Now, add the filets and let cook until the fish starts to flake if you touch it with a fork.

At the end add the creme fraiche and let cook for a few minutes, but don't let it boil.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Now, just to make it really rich, add a piece of butter to the bowl before serving.

Montana

Last edited by Montana (Thu 01 Mar 07 10:30pm)

Likes (0)

#33 Sat 05 Nov 05 12:57am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Today's T2 has some rather lovely recipes by Jill Dupleix, celebrating National Soup Week.  Here are two of them that tickled my fancy:

TUSCAN BEAN AND VEGETABLE SOUP

Prep: 20min
Cook: 50min
Serves 4

If you can't find cavolo nero (black cabbage), go for curly kales, Swiss chard, ruby chard or Savoy cabbage.

600g cavolo nero
3 tbsp olive oil
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
1 leek, finely sliced
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 tsp tomato puree
400g potatoes, finely diced
2 bay leaves
4 thyme sprigs
1.5 litres water or stock
400g tinned white beans, rinsed
sea salt and pepper
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

METHOD:
Discard the large stems of the cavolo nero, and roughly shred the leaves. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and add the celery, leek and carrot.  Fry over gentle heat for ten minutes.  Add the cavolo nero, potatoes, tomato puree, bay leaves and thyme.  Add the water or stock and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Mash a third of the beans toa paste and add to the soup with the rest of the beans, stirring well.  Add sea salt and pepper to taste, scatter with parsley and serve in warm bowls, drizzled with a little extra virgin olive oil.

CHICKEN AND COCONUT SOUP
Prep: 20min
Cook: 20min
Serves 4

This light, creamy tom kha gai includes aromatics such as lemon grass and galangal or ginger that flavour the soup and are not meant to be eaten.

1 mild red chilli
4 cm knob galangal or ginger
2 stalks lemongrass
200g button mushrooms, trimmed
400ml coconut milk
1 litre light chicken stock
2 shallots, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 chicken breasts, skinned
2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
Handful coriander leaves

METHOD
Deseed the chilli and finely julienne lengthwise.  Peel and finely slice the galangal or ginger.  Bash the lemongrass and cut each stalk in half.  Trim the mushrooms and cut in half, slicing if large.  In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk, chicken stock, chilli, galangal, lemongrass, shallots, and sugar to a gentle simmer.  Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, then finely slice against the grain.  Add the chicken, mushrooms and fish sauce to the stock and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked and tender.  Add the lime juice and taste for salt (fish sauce or sea salt), heat (chilli), and sweetness (sugar).  Serve in warm bowls scattered with loads of coriander leaves.

Likes (0)

#34 Sat 05 Nov 05 12:59am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Hey Mon, I love creamy seafood soups and like the look of yours but is the lard truly necessary?

I dont even know where to get it... dont think its been in popular usage here for a long time. I remember seeing it at the butchers in waxed paper cups when I was a little girl, but that is getting to be a long time ago. wink

Is it beef drippings? Am I right?

Likes (0)

#35 Sat 05 Nov 05 6:52am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Lard...Mon????  :shock:

Ok...anyway...this is my take on bouillabaise...the thai way.
I've followed Nigella's recipe but tweaked it a little,then decided recently,why not turn it into a soup by adding more broth?
Reduce the broth by a third t make the curry.
I will be making it tonight for guests,with crayfish...that's what made me think of posting it here.
By all means,reduce the spiciness to adjust to your tolerance.

THAI YELLOW PUMPKIN AND SEAFOOD SOUP:
400ml coconut milk
1-2 tablespoons yellow (or red) Thai curry paste,more if you can take the heat!
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1.2litres  fish stock
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons palm (coconut) sugar or brown sugar
3 lemongrass stalks,green upper part discarded, white parts each cut into three and bruised with the flat of a knife
3 lime leaves, de-stalked and cut into strips
half teaspoon turmeric
1 kg pumpkin (or butternut squash), peeled and cut into large-bite-sized chunks
500g fish fillet, skinned and cut into large-bite-sized chunks
500g peeled raw prawns
pak choi or any other green vegetables of your choice
juice of half to one lime, to taste
chopped coriander, to serve
Chopped fresh basil

HOW:
Heat 2-3 tbsp peanut oil till fairly hot. Add ginger,garlic, curry paste, lemongrass, lime leaves and turmeric. Fry,stirring constantly till fragrant. Add sugar and pumpkin,fry for 1 minute more.
Add fish stock and fish sauce. Cook on a fast simmer until the pumpkin is tender, about 15 minutes, although different sorts of pumpkins can vary enormously in the time they take to cook
Stir in the coconut milk,adding a little water if too thick,bearing in mind that the seafood exudes juices when cooked. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
You can cook the curry up till this part in advance, maybe leaving the pumpkin with a tiny bit of bite to it (it will soften and cook as the pan cools). Either way, when you're about 5 minutes away from wanting to eat, get ready to cook the seafood.

So, to the simmering liquid (DON'T boil,as the coconut milk will clump together,and you'll have to waste time whisking like fury to smoothen the sauce), add the fish and prawns (if you're using the prawns from frozen they'll need to go in before the fish). When the fish and prawns have cooked through, which shouldn't take more than 3-4 minutes, stir in any green veg you're using - sliced, chopped or shredded as suits - and tap down with a wooden spoon.

When the pak choi is wilted, squeeze in the juice of half a lime, stir and taste and then add the juice of the remaining half if you feel it needs it. Take the pan off the heat or decant the curry into a large bowl, and sprinkle over the coriander and basil; the point is that the coriander goes in just before serving. Stir it in,check seasoning again.

Serve with more chopped coriander for people to add to their own bowls as they eat, and some plain Thai or basmati rice.

P.S:
You can pretty much include any seafood you like...including scallops, more types of fish,mussels or clams... crayfish or crabs even!

(Poach mussels or clams separately with a slice of ginger in water and a little sherry,discard those that are closed...stir into curry.)

(If using crayfish or crabs,leave crayfish whole or split in half,hack crabs up,steam separately with several slices of ginger and garlic slivers arranged on them...till just cooked,discard the ginger and garlic...stir in the crabs or crayfish into the curry just before serving.)

Likes (0)

#36 Sat 05 Nov 05 8:04am

Montana

Forum champ

Well, actually here, it's called "lardons" but cut in thin little allumettes - like matchsticks.

Frankly, it was a nice taste added to the soup, otherwise it would've been awfully bland and boring with a capital B.

It's not only FAT that you'd be adding - hope that clears up that question.

I don't use the smoked ones, just the plain ones.

Montana  (ps - the soup was good!)

Likes (0)

#37 Sat 05 Nov 05 8:33am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Hello everyone..as I was still confused I googled "Lardons" ...

This is what I found out...

Lardon is bacon cut into chunks not sliced thinly like you see it here in Oz and probably in the States too...apparently you heat it until it is cooked but not brown to extract as much fat as possible.

The french like to cook with the bacon fat.

Mystery solved!

Likes (0)

#38 Sat 05 Nov 05 8:50am

Montana

Forum champ

Thank you for that clarification!

Montana 8)

Likes (0)

#39 Sat 05 Nov 05 9:32am

Sereh

Occupation mothering my toddler
From The Netherlands
Member since Thu 20 Jan 05

Maybe you are all bored to death by the thought of eating more pumpkin, now that Halloween is over, but in Holland we don't have traditions like that, so I'll enthusiastically share my pumpkin soup recipe with all you soup lovers.

My mom's pumpkin soup

1 Lb pumpkin, cut in pieces and peeled
1 onion, peeled and cut in pieces
1 potato, peeled and cut in pieces
1,5 liters vegetable or chicken stock
2 cloves
1 bay leaf
1 star anise
a little chilli paste
a pinch cumin
3 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Sweat the onion in a big soup pot in olive oil, and add the cumin and chilli paste. Stir 5 minutes, add the potato and pumpkin and mix well. Fry for 5 minutes. Add the stock, bay leaves, star anise and cloves.
Bring to a boil, and let it simmer on low fire for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the pumpkin is soft.
Take out the cloves, star anise and bay leaf and blend with a hand blender or pass through a sieve or something like that. I sometimes leave the cloves in, which enhances the spiced flavour, but it might be a bit much.
Taste, add salt & pepper if necessary and heat for another 5 minutes.
Serve with fresh bread and sprinkle with green onions and a little cream or creme fraiche.

Likes (0)

#40 Sat 05 Nov 05 5:57pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I'll be making this for supper tonight, and thought I'd share

1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 oz butter/margarine
1lb Jerusalem artichokes
2 pints chicken stock
salt and pepper

Single cream
Chopped chives to garnish

Melt the butter in a large pan, add the onions and soften, but do not allow to brown.  Add the peeled and sliced Jerusalem artichokes, and gently heat for about 5 mins.  Add the stock, cover and bring to the boil.  Simmer until the artichokes are tender (about 20 mins).  Remove from the heat and puree and season to taste.  Reheat to serve, and add a swirl of single cream to each bowl, and sprinkle with chopped chives.

Likes (0)