Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Tue 08 Nov 05 6:44pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

Re: Soup's on!!

I see....

Riboletto does sound great; I'll try it on Thursday and let you know how it goes.

I've made a potato soup before with some aged white cheddar and bacon (chopped up); sounds similar to the one you posted, but I left the potatoes chunky, more rustic like that.  And it does freeze well.... wink

Likes (0)

#52 Wed 09 Nov 05 6:01am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Hi Montana, I just had a few spoons of that cheese and potato soup cold...it hot here today.

Its not bad. Maybe if oil not butter was used to sweat the veg..I hate the way cold grease feels against the roof of my mouth.

I dont know what made me try it, Im not a chilled soup fan, except for this:

Avocado Soup

3 cups chicken stock
1 onion
2 bay leaves
a couple of peices of capsicum or chilli
2 cloves garlic
Simmer this for about 1/2 an hour with a lid on
Chill stock, then strain.
Blend with 2-3 ripe avocados, and a small dollop of sour cream.
Serve with another dollop of sour cream if you like and a sprinkle of paprika.

I used to make this to take to work in Summer, when I worked in a horrid pub in a suburb of Sydney that had nothing but pizza joints. (I was very sick of pizza)

Likes (0)

#53 Wed 09 Nov 05 3:17pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

That sounds good.

I honestly don't think that eating that soup cold is a good idea  roll

Even if it were oil, it would still float to the top - wouldn't it?!

STEF - help needed here!!

Likes (0)

#54 Wed 09 Nov 05 3:23pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Montana - I had your potato soup today - heaven in a bowl - thank you for sharing smile

Mind you, I wouldn't want to try it cold!  And oil would rise to the surface when cold, just like butter ....

Olivia

Likes (0)

#55 Wed 09 Nov 05 3:42pm

Montana

Forum champ

I'm not YELLING, just shouting for joy!

I was right!

Glad you liked it - it's quite yummy.

Have you got one to share Olivia? wink

Likes (0)

#56 Wed 09 Nov 05 5:44pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon

Cauliflower soup with Cheddar Croutons

1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup Spanish onion, medium-dice
1/4 cup celery, medium-dice
kosher salt
3 lbs. cauliflower, cleaned and cut into florets
4 cups water, more if needed
1/4 grated cheddar cheese (darn cheddar again, Montana!)
white pepper
bunch of chervil

How:
Pour the oil into a large stockpot and warm over low heat.  Add onion, celery and a pinch of salt and cook about 4 minutes.  Add cauliflower and cook, but don't brown for about 3 minutes.  Pour in water and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 30 minutes.  Stir in cheddar.

In batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree; add a little more water if soup is not smooth enough.  Season with salt and pepper; transfer to bowls and garnish with cheddar croutons, below, and a few pieces of chervil.

Cheddar croutons

2 cups cubed bread
1 tbs. evoo
1 tbs. butter
1/4 cup plus 1 tbs. finely grated cheddar at room temperature
1/4 tsp. kosher salt

Preheat oven to 325F. Warm oil and butter in a saucepan over low heat.  Put bread in a mixing bowl and pour oil and butter over them, tossing  to coat.  Sprinkle cheese and salt over bread and stir gently to coat.  Spread croutons on a cookie sheet in an even layer and bake until crisp and golden on the outside but still chewy inside, about 5 or 6 minutes.

Simple and delicious!  You can also use broccoli.

Likes (0)

#57 Wed 09 Nov 05 6:18pm

Montana

Forum champ

Cheddar  lol  lol  lol

Sorry I missed your post earlier  oops

Yours does sound good.  I'll try that and let you know (probably not tomorrow, so don't wait with bated breath)  lol

Thanks for a great idea for a soup!!

Ladies - put on your thinking caps, I need more!!

Please  wink

Likes (0)

#58 Wed 09 Nov 05 6:24pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon

I'll bet parmegiano would be equally good in place of the cheddar.  Do you like chestnuts? I have a chestnut soup recipe but it's a little tricky albeit extremely versatile.  If you want to give it a go, I'll post it 8)   Eilen

Likes (0)

#59 Wed 09 Nov 05 6:46pm

Montana

Forum champ

Yesterday, my son and I were talking about roasted chestnuts - he loves them.  I'm sort of ho-hum.  I don't care for marrons glacés; however, I've had marrons stuffed in a chapon - OMG that was incredible!

So, Eilen, please post it - I'd love to try it!

Thanks!!!! wink

Likes (0)

#60 Wed 09 Nov 05 7:43pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon

Chestnut-Fennel Soup with Apple-Walnut Chutney--for six

Usually our Thanksgiving dinners are quite informal, but I changed it last year and this was one of the courses I served.

1/4 cup plus 2 tbs. canola oil
1/2 cup roughly chopped white onion
1 1/2 cups roughly chopped fennel (from about two bulbs)
1/2 cup roughly chopped celery
3 1/2 cups peeled and roasted chestnuts
1/2 cup peeled, roughly chopped, tart apple, like a Granny Smith
kosher salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs. Pernod  (oh, how I miss the pastis!  I can't get anything as good over here)
1 cup orange juice
6 cups white chicken stock or low-sodium broth
1/4 tsp white pepper

How:
Heat oil in a large stockpot over med-low heat.  Add onion, fennel, celery, chestnuts, apple, and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring about 20 min., until soft but not browned.
Pour in 1/4 cup Pernod and orange juice and stir scraping any bits of food on bottom of pot.  Bring liquid to boil and cook until reduced by 2/3, about 7 min.  Pour in stock and bring to boil over high heat.  Lower heat and simmer until veg/nuts are tender, about 25 minutes.

Puree the soup so it just coats a spoon; add the remaining 2 tbs. Pernod.

Pour through a strainer (fine-mesh or with cheesecloth) set over a bowl, pressing down on solids to get as much liquid out as you can.  Season with salt and pepper.  You can make it up to three days ahead at this point.

Otherwise, pour into serving bowls and place some chutney in the center of each bowl.

Apple-Walnut Chutney
2 tbs. chestnut honey or regular honey
2 tbs. sherry vinegar
2 tbs. finely diced onion
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup peeled, finely diced apple
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and crushed

Put honey, vinegar, and onion in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat.  Cook slowly until onion is soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.  Add apples and walnuts and cook until the liquid evaporates and mixture begins to come together, about 15 minutes.  Add the salt.

Chutney can be cooled, covered and refrigerated for one week.  Let come to room temp. before using.

Montana, you could also drizzle some walnut oil over the soup bowls, top with some game sausage or even wild mushrooms.  I just did the chutney because I didn't want anything too heavy.  Let me know what you think. smile   Eilen

Likes (0)