Subscribe to forums RSS

#981 Sun 27 Feb 11 9:22pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Soup's on!!

Well I do like a snifter while I'm prepping/making it Eddie, maybe that's what she was alluding to...........???

Likes (0)

#982 Sun 27 Feb 11 9:33pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

minerva wrote:

Well I do like a snifter while I'm prepping/making it Eddie, maybe that's what she was alluding to...........???

lol

Likes (0)

#983 Sun 27 Feb 11 9:46pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I am guessing she is new to using forums and looked at the first post on the thread. She just joined today.  wink

MissAljazara  welcome to the forums.  smile

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#984 Mon 28 Feb 11 8:28pm

guiller

Member since Mon 28 Feb 11

hi montana.. Im new to the family and actually this is my first post..
glad to be here.. I will share you a secret recipe that is if you like...
try this.
French Onion Soup Recipe

1/2 lb. onions, 3 oz. grated cheese, 2 oz. butter, some squares of whole meal bread, pepper and salt to taste.
Peel and chop the onions, and fry them a nice brown in the butter. When brown add to it the cheese and 3 pints of water. Boil all up together and season to taste. Place the bread in the tureen, pour the boiling soup over it, and serve.

thanks and Im sure it will help..

Likes (0)

#985 Mon 28 Feb 11 11:19pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Welcome here Guiller! big_smile

Likes (0)

#986 Mon 14 Mar 11 10:53pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Montana wrote:

It's Fall in my neck of the woods; we went back an hour on Saturday evening, the days are shorter, it's gloomy outside and I feel like a lovely bowl of piping hot soup for dinner - after Body Combat class tonight.

My problem is my other half wants something different from the ones I make/love (French onion, he doesn't care for, for example).  I have a couple  I'll add later - cause I need to dig them up first for you - but I'll bet many of you have some wonderful soups big_smile

So, here is my French Onion soup recipe!!

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 C sugar (I do not add this)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
6 C beef stock (or canned broth - I use chicken instead)
2 Tbsp Ruby port wine
4 large slices French bread, toasted
1 C grated gruyère cheese

Met butter in a soup pot.  Add the onions and wilt over medium-low heat, covered for about 20 minutes.  You'll want to check on them occasionally so they don't burn!

Sprinkle sugar (if you use it), mix, and continue to cook uncovered until caramelized (approximately 10 minutes).  Salt and pepper.

Add 3 C of the stock and simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes.  Add the rest of the stock, and the port wine (feel free to add a bit more if you'd like  wink ).  Cook for another 30 - 40 minutes.  Broth should be rich when you try it.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Use oven-proof bowls.  Fill with soup, top with a slice of the bread and sprinkle with grated gruyère.

Bake until cheese melts and is bubbly and golden brown.

Careful when you remove from the oven and it's TRULY hot, so don't burn your tongue with the first spoonful!

This is sooooo easy to make.  Enjoy!

Montana 8)

French onion soup, souperb recipe a litle sugar aids caramalisation of the onions. if aded at the right moment

Likes (0)

#987 Mon 14 Mar 11 10:58pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Soup Is Amazing, we are on noodle soup at the moment chinese ,healthy, tasty, quick.
Hey someone start an A to Z of soup recipes thread (keep 'em seasonel if pos.) Almond soup (Spanish)would be a great A

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Mon 14 Mar 11 10:59pm)

Likes (0)

#988 Sun 24 Apr 11 11:03am

nalysale

Member since Sun 24 Apr 11

I will try your recipe.  But it will take time.Thanks!!!!!!!

Likes (0)

#989 Mon 25 Apr 11 8:26pm

royb20644

Member since Mon 25 Apr 11

Nice thread Mon..........  thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#990 Mon 06 Jun 11 12:55pm

gunnlesley

Member since Mon 06 Jun 11

Ever thought about trying a delicious soup from Luxembourg ?! Try our simple recipe for Bouneschlupp  (Green Bean Soup) - it makes a tasty and filling main course !

Shopping list

- 250 g fresh string or broad beans
- 1 leek
- 3 medium potatoes
- olive oil
- 1 litre of broth (homemade or from stock cubes)
- 1 bay leaf
1 clove
a few leaves of lovage or a bit of dried thyme
1 clove of garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 smoked german sausage

Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Serves: 4

Cut the leek into fine strips and rinse thoroughly. Wash and cut the string beans in half. Peel and grate one of the potatoes. Heat oil in a large soup pot over a medium heat and lightly sauté the leeks with the crushed garlic. Add the broth, beans, grated potato, bay leaf and clove and simmer for 10-15  minutes.
Peel and dice the remaining potatoes and add these along with the whole smoked sausage and lovage to the pot and simmer for another 10 minutes.

Remove the smoked sausage and cut into small pieces, before placing back in the soup.
Before serving, add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with rustic white, whole meal or rye bread and a glass of Riesling and enjoy !

For more exciting recipes and for a culinary Tour de France, pop by our new website : www.letour2011.org

Likes (0)