* 250g Self-raising flour
    * 100g Butter
    * 100g Light. soft brown sugar
    * 1 tsp. Cinnamon
    * 0.5 tsp. Ground ginger
    * 1 Egg. lightly beaten

Method

* 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.

2. Crumble the flour and butter in a bowl with your hands until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and spices.

3. Add the egg, stirring until a dough comes together. Knead gently till smooth. Place onto a lightly floured work surface and roll to the thickness of about 5mm.

4. use your favourite cutters, then lift the biscuits carefully with a palette knife and place, spacing them evenly, on baking sheets lined with baking parchment. Make a hole in the top of each biscuit with a chopstick.

5. Bake for 10–12 minutes till golden. Push the chopstick back into each of the holes while the biscuits are still soft. Leave to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack. When cool, you can decorate the biscuits and thread with ribbon to hang on the tree.

Likes (0)

#542 Mon 20 Dec 10 10:55pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Re: Dave Barkers Christmas Kitchen...

Hi again guys,

It's so good to see that this thread is still getting some fantastic recipies and ideas from you guys... thank you all!

I have been very busy working at Staverton Park for the last couple of months but have finished for the Christmas holidays now... I go back on the 10th Jan!

That means that it's time for me to start planning our xmas food!... It's Rosies 1st Christmas this year and it's going to be the Barkers biggest, best Christmas ever this year! Because both Stella and I are at home we are planning a few family parties with loads of silly party games and presents!

As well as the Barkers traditional roast goose with all the trimmings... it's going to be epic!

Last night I made a brilliant Festive roast chicken pie for dinner (It could be turkey! but to be honest, Ive cooked sooooooo much turkey every year that I've gone right off it!)

The pie was made with chicken pieces, smoked steaky bacon in a lovely creamy mustard sauce with sage and onion stuffing balls dotted through it and dollops of cranberry sauce... the idea is that when you serve the pie in slices everyone gets a little bit of the stuffing and cranberry somewhere in their slice!

I served it with roast potatoes, steamed and buttered shredded savoy cabbage, honey roasted parsnips and carrots and a lovely chicken gravy!

Another great idea that I have had this xmas is using broken up leftover Christmas pudding to make a lovely cheesecake, using bashed up brandy snaps as a crunchy base ( a nod to the brandy sauce traditionaly served with xmas pud!... truely ammmmmaaazing stuff!!!!!

Great to see you guys again...

Dave x

Likes (0)

#543 Thu 23 Dec 10 12:30pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Because sometimes these recipes disapear off the site and this is a good, quick and easy desert that looks so good, I have copied the recipe over to here so we can always find it.

winter pudding bombe
dessert recipes | serves 10

ingredients
2 x 500ml tubs of good-quality vanilla ice cream (I like Green and Blacks)
1 x 1kg panettone
125ml Vin Santo
3 heaped tablespoons good raspberry jam
25g shelled pistachios
75g tinned sour cherries, drained
40g glac clementines (or other glac fruit), thinly sliced
2 clementines, 1 peeled and sliced into rounds
200g good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), bashed up

This time of year, I think its important to have some clever cheats up your sleeve. Puddings you can make ahead of time then leave in the freezer until needed are great. If you try and do everything on the day, youll be dead on your feet come January and it wont have felt like much of a holiday at all. I see this dessert as a sort of cross between a summer pudding and an arctic roll, so it hits a lot of those retro buttons. Because its an assembly job, anybody at all can make this so if youve got someone at your house that wont muck in because they say they cant cook, put them to work on this!

Get your ice cream out of the freezer so it can soften a little while you get things ready. Line a 2 litre pudding bowl with 3 layers of cling film. Use a serrated knife to slice a four 2cm thick rounds off of your panettone then cut them in half. Youll have some panettone left over, so keep this for another time. Arrange six of the slices in a single layer around the bowl and push them down if they overlap. Drizzle some Vin Santo around the sponge so it soaks in, then use the back of a spoon to smear the jam over the sponge.

Add 1 tub of ice cream to the bowl and use the spoon to spread it around in a thick layer. Sprinkle in the pistachios, cherries and glac fruit then layer the clementine slices on top. Add the other tub of ice cream. Spread it out, working quickly so the ice cream doesnt completely melt. Put the rest of the panettone slices on top of the ice cream, drizzle over some more Vin Santo then cover the bowl tightly with cling film. Press a plate down on top to press everything down, then freeze overnight, or longer.

When youre ready to serve it, put the bashed-up chocolate in a bowl and get that over a pan of simmering water on a really low heat. Leave the chocolate to melt while you unwrap your amazing winter bombe and carefully turn it onto a beautiful serving dish. Add a few gratings of clementine zest to the chocolate and when its nicely melted, pour it over the top so it oozes down the sides and looks delicious.

Likes (0)

#544 Thu 23 Dec 10 12:56pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Saw Jamie make this this evening on Jamie's Christmas. Will skip the chocolate as it gives me a migraine-even the smell of chocolate sets me off. On the otherhand, being able to take to my bed might be a good escape from doing the dishes. Nah, that's taking it too far but I will skip the chocolate, regardless.

Have a good one, people.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#545 Thu 23 Dec 10 1:46pm

lynnej

Occupation Web Designer
From Netherlands
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

So my mince are finally made! And to keep hubby happy I also made some gevulde koek (for the first time) they are quite a Dutch traditional (though not specifically xmas) cookie filled with almond paste and he loves them. The best he's ever eaten he said smile

Likes (0)

#546 Thu 23 Dec 10 2:39pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Have never heard or had them, Lynnj.

Making cranberry bliss bars for Jim to take to work tomorrow.   They are drizzled with white chocolate.

Likes (0)

#547 Thu 23 Dec 10 9:05pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Those are awesome cookies lynne.. I have a friend that is married to a dutch lady.  She made those cookies last christmas.  yummy  yummy   What do they call those really thin crisp spiderweb looking dutch lace cookies btw??  I havn't had those in years but they rock too.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#548 Sat 25 Dec 10 6:16am

lynnej

Occupation Web Designer
From Netherlands
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

I'm sure you;ll have seen them when you were over here if you went to a bakers Eddie. a simple cookie dough filled with almond paste mixed with egg, topped with half an almond. Here's a pic: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gevulde_koek

I think you're talking about stroop wafels Ashen? http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroopwafel
They are so good when eaten slightly warm so the syrup is soft and oozy.

Likes (0)

#549 Sat 25 Dec 10 6:30am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Don't recall seeing them but they look and sound wonderful.

Made my chestnut panettone which I shall have for brekkie manana.

Our local wood-fired oven bakery was out of bread so I started a sponge tonight and will make bread in the morning.   It's a semolina that I've used over the years that I really like.  Not the crust of a good sourdough done in a wood-fired but not bad either.

Likes (0)

#550 Sat 25 Dec 10 4:59pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

lynnej-- nope not stroop wafels, I did some googling and I think they are called kletskoppen.

http://www.koekjesbakken.com/koekjes/kl … recept.jpg

Last edited by Ashen (Sat 25 Dec 10 5:00pm)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)