Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 28 Dec 06 10:19pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Marinated mushrooms

Does anyone have a marinated mushroom recipe? I want to eat it at room temp or chilled. I thought it might go well with the pork loin I have marinated greek style and will grill. Having this with greek salad and grilled pita. Any other veggie ideas? I usually do a grilled zuchinni but I think it's getting a little boring, lol! Thx!

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 29 Dec 06 12:31am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Marinated mushrooms

Why not use the classic Greek marinated Mushroom recipes?

Mushrooms a la Greque

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 lb. small, white mushrooms (thoroughly cleaned by brushing)
3/4 cup water
juice of half lemon
1/2 cup olive oil
bouquet garni: sprig of thyme, bay leaf and celery tied together
dozen coriander seeds

PREPARATION:
1. Bring the water, lemon juice, olive oil, bouquet garni, coriander seeds and salt and pepper to a boil.

2. When the mixture has just started to boil, add the mushrooms, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Pour into a serving bowl and allow to cool before serving.

To serve:

Serve cold, with a little of the cooking liquid, plus the addition of some fresh oil. Garnish with a thyme sprig.

----------------------------------------------------

Thats the simplified version - a more complex version is:-

Mushrooms a la Greque

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002

2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
1/4 cup minced celery
1/4 cup minced fennel
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 teaspoon minced garlic, plus 2 teaspoons
1 cup water
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
4 cups fresh wild mushrooms (oyster, cremini, shiitake, etc.), trimmed and quartered if large (left whole if small)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chicken stock
1 head escarole, cleaned and halved, stem intact
2 cups halved radishes
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Crusty bread, as accompaniment

In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the celery, fennel, and shallots, and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes.

Add 1 teaspoon garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the water, white wine, lemon juice, peppercorns, coriander seeds and fennel seeds. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid and return to the saucepan with the mushrooms. Stir to coat and simmer for 10 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and arrange in a serving dish. Bring the broth to a boil and reduce until thickened almost to a syrup-like consistency. Adjust the seasoning and pour the broth over the mushrooms. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

In a separate pan, add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons garlic and saute for 15 seconds. Add escarole and radishes and season with salt and pepper and saute for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, just to cover the vegetables and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, or until the escarole is tender.

Ladle mushrooms into serving bowls. Garnish with parsley and serve slightly chilled or at room temperature. Serve on crusty bread with braised escarole and radishes.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 29 Dec 06 3:11am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

Thank you Geoff, they both sound awesome! Since I got in late I decided to fry them up with red onions/garlic s&p and a slash of red wine vinegar and Italian parsley but I think since I kept the mushrooms outside they tasted a little funky... so at the last minute I needed another veggie or something, lol, so I opened a can of lentils, drained it and put them into a pan that I had already sauteed some red onions. I added a little garlic and stock and let arm through... at the end I added a tiny bit of red wine vinegar and parsley, it was pretty good for being canned lentils, lol! But thanks for the recipe Goeff, I will definitely try it tomorrow with steak and I love fennel. Oh, btw, are cremini baby portabello 's? And I can't remember what escarole is... if I can't find it, can I use anything else? Thanks again!

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 30 Dec 06 1:00am

GeoffP

Forum champ

Yes- Cremini are baby Portobello.

Escarole is curly Endive

Mushrooms a la Greque are a great favourite of ours - I sometimes make them ahead and bottle if there is a glut of mushrooms.

Last edited by GeoffP (Sat 30 Dec 06 1:00am)

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 30 Dec 06 3:35am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

Would you just keep the remaining in the fridge? For about a week or so? I sometimes get an artisan bread made with real garlic cloves and I drizzle w/ olive oil and toast them in the oven... oh! So good, lol, and I think this would be awesome with the mushrooms.

This one is going into the recipe files, thx! smile

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 30 Dec 06 12:44pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Yes - they should keep Ok covered in the fridge for a week - I sometimes bottle marinated mushrooms  and hae kept them for weeks in the fridge p they improved with age.

Should be awesome with bruschetta :-)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 09 Jan 07 9:45pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

I made the Mushrooms a la Greque the other night, they were awsome! I omitted the celery though and used freshly ground pepper and I smashed the coriander seeds up a bit as the kids would try and pick them out, lol. There was nothing left over so that was a good sign. I am definitely going to use this recipe for bruschetta when we have guests over...thx again.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 19 Feb 07 3:33am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

Geoff, I make this often, in fact I prepared them tonight with souvlaki ( pork and chicken ) and greek salad, hummus and tzatiki and grilled pita w/ olive oil. tongue

Likes (0)