Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sat 10 Mar 07 11:35am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: LETS EAT CAKE!

DECADENT CHOCOLATE CAKE

This seems to be a quite popular recipe, and for all the right reasons!  My godmother always makes it and I finally got a copy of the recipe.  I make it as a birthday cake, and it never lasts long.  It's incredibly rich, gooey and moist, seriously chocolatey!  Make sure you take it out of the oven when it's still quite soft: it's awful if overcooked.  You want it really, really moist.

250ml water
90g 70% cocoa chocolate
115g butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
400g sugar
2 egg yolks
125ml cup sour cream
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
220g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 egg whites

Preheat oven to 170.  Butter and flour a 10" Springform tin.  Pop the butter and chocolate into a bowl and pour over the boiling water, let stand until melted.  Add the vanilla and sugar and mix well.  Mix in the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Separately, mix together the sour cream and the bicarb, then add.  Sift in the flour and baking powder.  Separately, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not too dry, and fold in (you know the routine: one third gets stirred in to loosen, the rest folded in gently with a metal spoon).  Pour the batter into the tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 40-45 minutes, until the cake lifts away from the edges of the tin, and it doesn't feel qobbly and liquidy underneath to the touch.

ICING

This so makes it all worthwhile.

2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 tbsp heavy cream
1-1/4 cup icing sugar (sifted)
1 tsp vanilla

Pop all ingredients in a bain-marie or a heavy saucepan and gently melt together.  Ice cake when it's completely cold.  It's really good dotted with raspberries!

Likes (0)

#22 Sat 10 Mar 07 2:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

This recipe is GLUTEN FREE....

DATE AND GINGER CAKE

ingredients....
                             2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
   50g / 2oz / 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
   50g / 2oz / 1/2 cup ground rice
                             1 egg, beaten
   25g / 1oz / 1/4 cup gluten-free cornflour (cornstarch)
   25g / 1oz / 1/4 cup ground almonds
                        1 tsp ground ginger
                              1 small eating apple
100g / 4oz / 2/3 cup dates.stoned and chopped

1.Preheat the oven to 190 C/375 F / gas mark 5.
2.Put the oil, sugar, egg, ground rice and cournflour into a bowl and beat until smooth.
3.Stir in the almonds, ginger, grated apple and dates. Mix well to distribute evenly.
4.Put the mixture into a greased and lined small loaf tin and smooth the top with a knife.
5.Bake above the centre of the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer insterted in the centre comes out clean.
6.Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap up and store in an airtight container. Eat within 5days.

thumbsup  big_smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 10 Mar 07 2:58pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Mummza...it's a rather no frills cake and the sort you serve for tea...I think maybe your hubby needs a more fancy cake...like Anna's?

Oh god Anna,you got me salivating as I read your recipe  roll ...MUST try....
What's the texture of this cake? Dense and rich...or feathery light like a sponge?

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 10 Mar 07 3:52pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

There is absolutely NOTHING light about that cake!  It's gooey, dense, rich, but somehow still not too heavy.  It's not airy like a sponge, but at the same time, it's nothing like a thick, cloying fudge-cake.  Seriously, it's good!  I made it once with lighter (60%) chocolate and regretted it, now I always use Swiss 72% cocoa solids that I get my mum to post me in bulk!   big_smile

Likes (0)

#25 Sat 10 Mar 07 4:46pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Stefanie , don't worry, I realised that it was a plainer sort of cake , I was thinking that it might be tasty with a few raspberries and cream !
Anna's cake is out at the moment because some of the family have given up chocolate for lent....but after Easter  thumbsup  it will definitely be made.
Anna, we buy chocolate from Lidl , I think that the Trinidad chocolate is the one that I use when I make something like your cake ., I seem to think that it is 74 or 75 % . The one that my husband enjoys best to eat is Ecuador 70%, Lidl has a whole range of chocolate, ranging down to 46% they are all worth trying. I enjoy all of them but my daughter refers to the 60% as ..'that milk chocolate!!'

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 11 Mar 07 3:27pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Anna,I get what you're saying...richness from the choccie yet lightness because of the rising agents and the eggwhites....man oh man I HAVE to bake this soon...
And YES...only 70% cocoa solids and above,no less!
That day,I came across one with 99% cocoa...tasted horrible but only took a little to give my cheesecake a punch!

Mummza...I wouldn't recommend that you take it with cream as it is already very buttery and rich.
What I suggest is that you serve with strong tea,preferable Earl Grey..take a bite of the cake and a sip of the tea,let it meld together....BEAUTIFUL combi.
If you want to top it with something to make it posh,a blend of orange and lemon zest tossed with a little sugar to force the oils out is scrummy. Scatter it haphazardly over the cake,of course...Nigella style---let some fall onto the plate...  wink

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 12 Mar 07 12:21am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

Well, made Mannix's upside-down apricot cake tonight, worked very well indeed.

125g softened butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed

Cream together until fluffy, and press into the base of a Springform tin.  Press in 1 tin apricots, cut side down.

250g white sugar (I used brown again)
125g softened butter
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour

Cream everything together until smooth, adding a dash of milk to loosen.  Spread over the apricots (it will be quite thick, not a pourabe batter, but it shouldn't be too heavy: you're aiming for easily spreadable, soft and smooth).  Bake at 180C for 35mins, ish, until golden and firm.  Invert onto a serving plate, watch out for the hot toffee!

My Springform tin leaked most of the toffee into the bottom of the oven...  sad  Other than that, excellent with creme fraiche!  The boyfriend would have preferred ice cream, apparently.  Never satisfied.   hmm

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 14 Mar 07 10:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

well Stefanie, I made sugee cake! I am not sure if my first attempt was quite what it should be like but my darlings comments were....
'oooh mmmm we'll have one of these again!' I was not sure what to do with the condensed milk so I just bunged it in! and I think I made a mistake in opening the oven door too soon as it became a bit wrinkled on the top. Never mind it tasted good and the texture although a little unusual was ok, we liked it.
We had some sicillian lemon creme fraiche with it (from the much mentioned Sainsburys!) it was realy delicious with the cake.
Many thanks for the recipe. I will try it again sometime and see if I can improve where I went a bit wrong thumbsup

Last edited by mummza (Wed 14 Mar 07 10:49pm)

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 15 Mar 07 3:27pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Cool...Mummza!

It should have a dense slightly grainy sort of texture...doesn't taste good cold though so always warm up slightly before eating.
The grainy feel comes from the semolina.
smile

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 15 Mar 07 5:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

yes it had the grainy texture, we discovered that it benifitted from a warm before eating. My husband thinks its a great cake. He also suggested that he might enjoy it with 'golden sypup'!

Likes (0)