forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 31 Jan 07 4:17pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Gluten Free Recipes Needed

Help ive just been told to be Gluten Free for 3 months, with NO tomatoes and NO Oranges.

Can you please post some lovely recipes.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 31 Jan 07 4:45pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Gluten Free Recipes Needed

Good Luck, Young Mum!!

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 31 Jan 07 5:32pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

No tomatoes is a tough one, Young Mum  sad

But, for gluten-free you can do just about anything you like by subsituting gluten-free ingredients.  Make sure you have a good selection of flours:  Dove's gluten free, potato, cornflour, rice, soya, buckwheat and tapioca are good.  Cornmeal is a great ingredient as well.  For bread, the best that I have made is the Laucke gluten-free from Lakeland - it really does taste OK.  Orgran do a good selection as well, and they do a self-raising flour for cakes etc.

You can buy a variety of gluten-free pasta, which isn't too bad, and also rice noodles are good. 

Items to watch out for are stock cubes (if you use them) - Kallo organic are good, low-fat mayonnaise often has gluten, as do low-fat yoghurts.  Soya sauce is out, but Tamari makes a good substitute so you can still do loads of oriental dishes  smile 

One of my easiest recipes:

4 chicken breasts
2 limes
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
1 pack brown rice noodles
1 bunch coriander

Mix the sweet chilli sauce, zest and juice of one lime together.  Put in the chicken breasts and coat well.  Cover and leave to marinade for at least 1 hour, and up to 12 hours. 

Put the chicken under a grill, and cook on both sides until golden and thoroughly cooked.

Meanwhile, cook the rice noodles as per the packet, strain and toss with the chopped coriander and juice of a lime.  Serve with the chicken and a nice green salad  big_smile

Good luck  big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 01 Feb 07 6:03am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I had a thread going on this; check though the pages in this forum.

If it's only three months you can probably just avoid stuff with gluten in it.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 03 Feb 07 9:35am

imahandful

Member since Fri 02 Feb 07

Hi Youngmum,
I've had 5 'glutenfree' and many other things 'free' babies and they are almost all at adult hood.

I've found over the past 25 years the best solution for me was to use my usual recipes and substitue.

For tomato I often subdstitued chokos - mostly grated or pureed or thinly sliced- as they cook up with the same moist texture as tomatos and I often added parsley and garlic for the flavour.

The only fruit my kids could eat was pears, so pears replaced every fruit imaginable thumbsup .

For Flour I usually use a combination of equal amouts - Potato flour,tapioca starch, arrowroot, and buckwheat. For savoury dishes I added equal amounts of besan flour too. You will find for yourself if you need to add more in volume or not. I think the same weight works better than by cup comparisons. Each cup of this mix I put in a teaspoon of baking powder (gluten free of course.) Seems like a lot but necessary for a good result.

My kids couldn't have rice flour, cornflour or soya.

Another repacement I used for sweet biscuits was ground cashews. Buy cheap broken pieces and put them in the food processer.

For Gravy I always used potato flour.
Nowadays you can easily buy "Massel" brand stock,gravy mix and stockcubes, all gluten free.
Hope this helps.
Imahandful

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 03 Feb 07 1:28pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

It's hard for the first couple of days but I agree the best thing to do is prepare yourself.  Have substitutes for everything in the house, ready to go.  I'm a pasta addict and I found the Sainsbury own-brand gluten/wheat free pasta not too bad (keep stirring it whilst cooking or it'll just solidify into one large lump!). 

You'll change your snacking habits, too.  I always snacked on pasta or toast, but I changed this to dipping courgette, cucumber, peppers, etc. in hummous or guacamole.  Another good snack that's surprisingly filling is half an avocado in its skin, squidged up a bit with a fork, with a slice of smoked salmon. 

Easy thing for the pasta:  heat some olive oil in a large frying pan, add some garlic and sliced spring onions and gently fry, add chopped prosciutto and chopped chilli, then add your cooked pasta and toss to coat.  I was off dairy too, otherwise I'd have done this in butter.  It's quite nice, and really quick.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 03 Feb 07 1:31pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

Oh, should also add that you can get things like corn tortillas so you can still have 'fun' food like fajitas/enchilladas.  If you're off tomatoes, just leave out the salsa...  You'll need guacamole or something for moisture, and I love refried beans in things like this. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab … 8414.shtml

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 03 Feb 07 1:37pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

Goodness, I'm on a roll.  Just thought of something else.  Soba noodles are made from buckwheat, which isn't a type of wheat at all, and I believe they're fine.  One of my housemates is coeliac, so I'll go check when she's awake...  Also, quinoa is amazing stuff.  It's like cous cous but bigger and better, more pasta-y.  Hard to describe.  You can get it in Tesco.  Also, remember risottos!  Just check that your stock (if using powdered) is gluten-free.  I use Marigold (from Tesco) and I believe it's fine.  Risottos are so good and filling that you'll get the stodge fix you sometimes feel like you're missing out on when you can't have things like pasta and bread.  Remember that things like a steak or chicken breast with vegetables and a salad are really nice meals, and completely allowed.  If you want sauces, you'll have to make your own as jarred ones usually contain gluten. 
On an unrelated note, I was wheat- and dairy-free for three weeks and lost so much weight!  I'm not sure if I lost any fat as such, but all my jeans were hanging off me as I seemed to just 'deflate'.  I don't have any noticeable problems when I do eat wheat, but you feel fantastic when you don't!  I suppose cutting out beer helped, too...  wink

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 04 Feb 07 7:05pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

I need bread  whistle  ive tried the gluten free bread  puke  im just craving for everything GOD this is hard i dont know how any one can be Gluten free for life  shocked  Thanky you all how have replied  smile

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 04 Feb 07 9:51pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

you get over bread fairly quickly - one slice of gluten free bread puts those cravings away for a couple of weeks

i'm currently having a reaction to the wheat thickening agent in a bought custard. I should have checked the number but i didn't and now i hurt. If you have pain with any food you soon don't crave things.

Likes (0)