forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 05 Feb 07 1:03am

imahandful

Member since Fri 02 Feb 07

Re: Gluten Free Recipes Needed

Try Rice Cakes, the thin wholemeal ones are the least like polystyrene.
Good luck, you can do it.
Imahandful wink

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 05 Feb 07 9:56am

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Whole Earth    SOcrispy italian herb flavoured light & crunchy bites  thumbsup 

Olivia i took your advice on the stock cubes  big_smile  didnt see them in the free from isle in sainsburys, they where in with all the other stock cubes and cheaper than the free from stuff  thumbsup going to have a re-read of those recipes you posted for me over at Noras  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 07 Feb 07 12:00pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Sesame Honey Bread

1 Tbs. gluten-free yeast
1/2 cup wild red corn meal
3 1/4 cups Bread Mix
1/3 cup powdered low-fat milk
2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
1 1/2 tsp. soy lecithin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 cups warm low-fat milk
5 Tbs. melted butter
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs
1 tsp. cider vinegar

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Beat for 3 minutes or until dough is smooth. Spread dough into a 9 inch baking pan, cover with plastic and let dough rise. Preheat oven at 375 degrees and bake for 40-50 min or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 07 Feb 07 12:32pm

forrestg

Member since Tue 06 Feb 07

Someone mentioned soba noodles.  Check ingredients on the packet - some are combined buckwheat with normal wheat flour.

You could always go for rice noodles or bean thread/noodles (some call it vermicelli, or mung bean noodles, they're almost see through and made from mung beans I think... anyway not a gluten grain) and eating rice which takes you down the path of trying out Asian style recipes.  Lots of options here, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese etc.

If you like to fry things with the flour/egg/breadcrumbs combination, I've substitued besan (or chickpea flour) for flour, left the egg step in and you can get rice breadcrumbs which are really good.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 14 Feb 07 3:30pm

jadewardell

Member since Wed 14 Feb 07

I've just been put onto a diet of wheat free, gluten free and dairy free. If you're craving bread, see what rice breads are available.

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 16 Mar 07 5:48am

Leanne S

Hi

I've had to go wheat free but I use gluten free products as they are available.  White Rabbit is right in saying that you soon get over your craving for bread. although I still dream about soft white bread......

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 16 Mar 07 10:12am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

If you're dreaming about soft, white bread, then try the Laucke bread mix.  I was very sceptical about it, but it really is good; light and fluffy, and my daughter told me off for giving her "real bread" when I should know she shouldn't be eating it  lol   It's available through Lakeland in the UK, and is not too exorbitantly expensive.

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 08 Apr 07 4:07am

Leanne S

Thanks Olivia, I will try and source it here, I live in Australia.  I'm still celebrating the fact that San Remo have brought out a good pasta, although I'm still waiting on the lasagne sheets. The bread mixes here are so so, ok if you eat them the same day but useless the next day. My husband adopted a brioche recipe so I could have a semi hot cross bun. He's good to me. big_smile

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 08 Apr 07 5:03am

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Hi!

You should check out Shauna James and her blog;Gluten-Free girl.

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

She has so many handy tips and solutions that I'm sure will be helpfull. She is also very in love with her Chef! wink

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 08 Apr 07 9:20am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I saw the san remo lasagne sheets recently at woolworths. We now use the san remo gluten free pasta for everyone, it almost tastes like normal pasta.

Likes (0)