forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 02 Feb 07 1:02am

pixierisma

Member since Thu 01 Feb 07

Organic gardening - Jamie at home

Watched "Jamie at home" last night - this was the first time I actually was totally absorbed in a Jamie episode.  big_smile I love how he talks about organic gardening and how simple it is!

However coming from the southern hemisphere with water restrictions it makes me wonder how us Aussies can create our own organic gardens to flourish as well as his does?

Does anyonw know where to find native alternatives to broad beans, potatoes, and peas? Perhaps this is how to create a functioning orgainc garden in the heat? question

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 02 Feb 07 5:23am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Re: Organic gardening - Jamie at home

Pixie - there aren't any native alternatives.

It is posible to garden with water restrictions - put in a dripper irrigation system and water in the evening and early morning. Most varieties of the beans and peas are also suited for our dry arid environment, you need to talk to your local nursery.

Also pots are an easy alternative. We manage to have a fantastic garden every year by using pots and dripper irrigation.

Last edited by sadie-hoshi (Fri 02 Feb 07 5:24am)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 03 Feb 07 8:14am

andreawo

Member since Sat 03 Feb 07

We are in Qld where the drip system is no longer allowed and bucket watering restricted to limited hours on limited days so the only real alternative is tank water.  I didn't think you could use town water for organic gardening due to the chemicals but I could be wrong.

I have wondered if a low percentage shade cloth over the garden could help in the heat.

Cheers
Andrea

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 03 Feb 07 2:26pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Andrea, we have to use a bucket too.

Yes you are wrong. Town water is fine for organic gardening. Low percentage shade cloth will not help as it cuts out the sun.

The best thing for you to do is to watch gardening Australia on the ABC or get their organing gardening magazine. There is a lot of stuff in there at present on water restrictions.

Watering is not a problem if you water within the times you are allowed. A garden does not need to be watered everyday if you water in the mornings and evenings of the allowed days. Don't overdo it though. All you need to do is ensure the soil is still a little damp. Too wet and you kill the plants so you shouldn't need to water everyday.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 03 Feb 07 4:40pm

Whilgha

Occupation chef
From Coonawarra, south Australia
Member since Sat 03 Feb 07

We live on rain water including our vegi patch, plenty of mulch around the plant will help with evaperation. you can also safe the water that is run befor the shower gets hot, bath water or even the water from the washing machine. Urine is also great for citrus plants and strawberries!

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 05 Feb 07 2:57pm

imahandful

Member since Fri 02 Feb 07

I live in Queensland, we have tank water only for everything. I go to the mushroom farm with my truck and trailer and buy as much mushroom compost as I can carry home. If it is kept moist you could grow anything in it. For the precious plants I put in hanging baskets under the verandah. They get sunlight without too much heat, make it easy for harvesting, and easy to pour leftovers from drink bottles or any other water the kids leave laying around. Where there is a will there is a way. I only use seaweed fertilizer. I don't know my organic rating with that mixture but I grow enough for my kitchen. smile

Likes (0)