forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Mon 05 Feb 07 3:01pm

BrianG

Occupation HM Forces
From UK
Member since Mon 05 Feb 07

Re: Tell me about your perfect Valentine's!

Hi Jamie,

Just bought your new book, so i thought i'd cook a suprise romantic meal for my wife using a couple of recipes from your book. I've never ever cooked anything from scratch before were i had to buy the fresh ingrediants and prepare them before cooking the meal.  I'm a bit of a virgin to the kitchen. Made shortbread last night following the reciepe in your book and it turned out perfect. it's given me the confidence to cook a nice romantic meal for the blonde hair colonel.

Brian big_smile

Likes (0)

#22 Mon 05 Feb 07 3:02pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Got to go to work now, good talking to you Jamie... Looking forward to the podcast mate

All the best guys

Dave B

Likes (0)

#23 Mon 05 Feb 07 3:36pm

mercedes

Forum champ
Occupation Save a tree, eat a Beaver
From the boonies
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I don't really buy into this whole lovey dovey nonscense---It's all put on by capitalist swines (I'm lying---I love getting flowers)!

With that said, my perfect fantasy Valentines day would be a dinner cooked by the whole family---nothing too fru fru just simple and good!

The boys go to bed at 7:00pm----okay thats pushing it a little so I'll go with 7:30!  And by some miracle they stay asleep! At around 8:00pm the furnace shuts off as does the power because oops we forgot to pay the hydro and gas bill(this would never really happen but its my fantasy)!!

After tidying up dinner, the mister and I realize we have no clean clothes---They are all dirty and smelly and we have to stay nekked! We retire to the bedroom and we are only left with one blanket to keep us warm as all the others have been used to keep the boys warm --now that the house has no heat!-----they are still sleeping like babies by the way------we jump into bed---remember nekked and cold and only sharing one blanket---and just as we are about to do the horizontal two step--the door bell rings--------I run down to answer it and it's --it's---OH MY GOD---it's Brad Pitt-----oh and he's brought along George Clooney and 25 other good looking men that have been on my shag worthy list-----by the miracle of my fantasy they are all dirty and wet and need to be nekked too!! Keeping with the family site aspect--- to cut a long story short there are 29 of us in my little queen bed all nekked and having to share my one little blanket-------It's Oceans 29 ---ahhhh----Cupid kicks ass!!

Happy Valentines Day Everyone------oh and p.s the boys slept in till 10:00am

Last edited by mercedes (Mon 05 Feb 07 4:31pm)

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 05 Feb 07 3:56pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Hi Jamie,  Just being alone with my husband is such a treat.  It doesn't happen very often with our busy lives.  (I don't have to tell you about being busy! lol )  My hubby likes a nice rare steak.  It's his favorite, so I'll probably cook steak.  I also liked the idea of mussels that you eat with your hands and feed each other.  Got that from Dave's thread. smile   Take care everyone!! big_smile

Ann

Mercedes,  Great story.  You should publish it!  Getting naked is almost a given on Valentine's Day.  (If you're alone!!) lol

Last edited by ANN (Mon 05 Feb 07 3:58pm)

Likes (0)

#25 Mon 05 Feb 07 6:23pm

Gibba

Occupation Linux Geek
From Hampshire, UK
Member since Mon 28 Nov 05

Right, after talking to the guys in the car on the way home...

Opinion there seems to be you should do something different to normal, and enjoy the food you like the most, spend a little cash doing it!

If you don't normally go out, find a nice restaraunt.  If you don't normally cook from scratch, stay in.  If you like curry, find something extra special you don't normally eat.  Maybe cook up some thai, but make it good.  You get the point...!

The other thing is, have a lot of courses, and make them all good.  Start with something you love, but small so you have an apetite left.  Then maybe follow with a starter and a main meal you love.  Have your dreamy sweet (chocolate?), then sink your teeth into some quality cheeses with a freshly ground coffee.

Hope this helps, I'm sure Mrs Gibba will be on later when she's home with some of her ideas.

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 05 Feb 07 6:48pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Mercedes,

I am spechless! big_smile

Oh and when you're done with Mr Clooney-any chance you can send him my way? Still nekked and dirty... whistle

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 05 Feb 07 6:52pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

We definitely wont be going out and I wont get any flowers or treats so it looks like I have to do it myself!

All I am hoping for is that my bouillabasse turns out and my crab cakes wont fall apart but I know the brownies will be a hit.

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 05 Feb 07 6:52pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Confused,  lol

Don't forget the chocolate for those chocoholics out there!!  I've read somewhere on this forum about chocolate body paint.  It may have been at Dave's thread.  (Great thread there, Dave!!) big_smile

Likes (0)

#29 Mon 05 Feb 07 7:36pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Here in Germany Valentine's Day is one of those commercial foreign imports. We like it anyway (some of us at least).

However my husband and I decided to do it minus the stress of having to buy a present and getting kitschy heart shaped cards and accessories (although I think he secretely loves exactly those... wink )

We usually just try to do something together - something we both like to do. This year we need that particularly as we have been through some rather hard times (his health) right after our honeymoon and for some months. Now that things are getting better the perfect thing would be to go out for a nice dinner - so no one has to wash up. And then either see a movie and have a late night coffee out or just winding up the dinner with a couple of drinks and have the rest of the night to ourselves at home.

But, you know, it really doesn't matter that much as long as we spend the evening together and not just watching TV. If he thinks ordering pizza and a bubble bath are the call of the day this year - so be it!

Just treating ourselves to something whatever it is would be my perfect Valentine!

Likes (0)

#30 Mon 05 Feb 07 11:29pm

FONI

Member since Mon 05 Feb 07

Hi Jamie et al,

I'll be looking out for your tips for a special Valentines meal, Jamie.

I'm living in Prague and currently missing my french hubby, still in France.
Difficult times, we also have have a 2 year old son.

When we will meet, we've already talked about having fondue.

There's something very romantic about fondue for two. It's simple to make too, which means you can spend more time actually enjoying it.

Also, you have to share and coordinate dipping your fork in the melted cheese all the way through the meal.  It's a sort of metaphor, for the way relationships work.

...........and it's v. romantic too.

Happy Valentines
Foni

Last edited by FONI (Mon 05 Feb 07 11:31pm)

Likes (0)