Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 07 Feb 07 3:47am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Egyptian Street Food

In March, I'm off to Egypt for a fortnight on a 5* Nile cruise (shades of "Death on the Nile" smile ). The food on board will, no doubt, be "International cuisine" smile

(I couldn't afford such luxuries myself, but a "foodie" "friend with benefits" treats me to one of these holidays every year so that she has a compatible companion" smile ). We've visited many areas in India, Turkey, Greece and Tunisia and Europe together over the last twenty years  this way.

We'll be in Cairo for few days, and this will be the time when we explore the local food.

So - what I am looking for is places to eat, and food to try in Cairo.

Its the local food we are after -not the tourist stuff.

Anyone who has visited, or perhaps lived in, Cairo got any idsas or   suggestions?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 07 Feb 07 4:14am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Re: Egyptian Street Food

Hi Geoff - your'e Egypt, Europe etc travels sound fab & intriguing - I'm very envious! wink

I've just done a quick search, as I've never been to; Cairo, sorry - not sure if these, cafe/restaurants are reasonably priced, though or what ya looking for?.....

http://ulyssesguides.com/fc/sears/guide … E_ID=10002

March, isn't too far away - so HAPPY TRAVELS to you & your kind friend, Geoff!  cool 

Kiwi Kris

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 07 Feb 07 5:18am

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Geoff,

You lucky thing!!! wink

Wish I had friends like yours... whistle

Hopefully you will share your food experiences with us when your back!

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 07 Feb 07 3:50pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Thanks Kiwi Girl - I've bookmarked that site, and will print it later. I've collected loads of info from the internet - what I'm looking for now is ideas from people who live there ir have visited.

We'll be eating onboard while ontge cruse, but have 4 days ashore in Cairo, and one day in Aswan, so we want to eat local as much as possible (and maybe pick up a few recipes at the same time).

This trip is a bit unusual for us, as we usually go "flight only", and organise accommodation and transport when we get there. We try to avoid the tourist hotels and restaurants, and "go local". We've had some fabulous trips this way - and its quite a bit cheaper than
paying tourist prices. The only comparable trip was fortnights cruise on a Gulet in Turkey about 15 years back.

But this year, my friend suggested a Nile cruise - and these have to be pre-booked, so we decided to go the "whole hog", and wallow in a bit of luxury smile

And yes confuzed - I'll share when I get back.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 07 Feb 07 10:09pm

ady+deb

Occupation ady=warehouseman, deb=powerhouse/godess
From nr Heathrow , London
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

Sounds great Geoff,
       Knowing you, you will come back with loads of recipes, and probably a book of recipes translated from one written by the pharaohs !.
       Have a good trip.
       Keep smiling,
            Ady.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 09 Feb 07 2:35am

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Geoff,  I'm envious as well.  Have a wonderful time.   smile

Ann

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 15 Feb 07 2:53am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Do you think I can sqeeze into your suitcase? lol Hope you have a great time and better yet, come back with lots of recipies, Geoff style! I would love to get some rugs and other things for the home! Have fun!

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 16 Feb 07 6:26am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Howdy there; Geoff, Confuzed, Ady, Ann, Bcrain & All! wave

Geoff - your'e very welcome....& sorry, I'm not much help......

Just had a looky, at my Travel Section on the Web & came across a link.....here's a paragraph, that you might be interested in, Geoff?...then I'll post the link.....

"Figs, dates, pomegranates and nuts are sold from street stalls throughout the city, but visitors to Cairo must try kusherie, the ultimate traveller's meal. Made in huge steaming pots which sit in the front windows of restaurants all over town, kusherie is a filling, tasty combination of macaroni, lentils, rice, fried onions and tomatoes. Sometimes spiced with cayenne pepper, cumin or curry powder, the dish is a classic Egyptian takeaway, and costs around ten New Zealand cents a pot."

Here is the link entitled; "Cairo casts it's spell".....

http://xtramsn.co.nz/travel/0,,12734-4783568,00.html

.......my info above, is the last paragraph - "Live like a Local"....plus, there's plenty of Cairo's history, to read-up on, too - if you & anyone, wishes to have a browse?!

All the Best - for a safe & wonderful  cool  cruise on the magnificent NILE, Geoff & your lovely Friend!

Catch you; Geoff & Everyone later....& take care,

Kiwi Kris

smile

P.S. ....

Crikey, 10 cents N.Z., for the "Kusherie takeaway dish", sounds GREAT!!

Our $1 is worth around, 3 of your English Pounds, Geoff & Guys....so, that's verrrrry cheap too & a real plus, for anyone's travel budget!! thumbsup

Last edited by Kiwi Girl (Fri 16 Feb 07 6:55am)

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 16 Feb 07 7:05pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Lonely planet usually has some good travel tips but I gather most of your arrangements are done in advance.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 17 Feb 07 3:15am

GeoffP

Forum champ

Yes, got the Lonely Planet and the Rough Guide - and an Egyptian Aabic phrasebook.

Lots of info about history and monumens, but never enough about food!

Likes (0)