forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 01 Mar 07 12:32pm

kayleigh

Occupation Full time mummy!
From Petersfield.
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Re: Egyptian Street Food

Thats Geoff, i will. Might try to get my hands on some for the weekend!

Likes (0)

#22 Fri 02 Mar 07 12:51am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Hi again, Kay - glad your'e all well & WOW!!, with Dylan walking now!! cool

Hi Geoff - your'e most welcome & thanks for your post!! smile

I always thought the pigeon, were more for sending messages, on their little legs or for racing?! wink ....but, yes, we eat chickens/ducks etc....just had never thought about a pigeon - thinking more on the lines of the "Home Alone" movies, with the pretty doves & pigeons, in Central Park!!

We've had avaries in the past, hope to build some new ones, plus a chicken house, when we get settled - not eating any of our little friends, though! wink

Yrs back while dairy farming.....the owner of the farm, had chickens galore roaming everywhere, so we'd collect the yummy eggs....

BUT, one day she decided to cull some off, so hubby helped & brought some home to put in the frezzer - they were as tough-as-boots & I didn't fancy eating them!!! whistle

Anyways.....sorry, sort-of-trailing off the subject of "Egyptian Cuisine", Geoff......the descriptions & recipes that I've seen & read from you - which are similar to the Mediteranean/Arab/Greek traditions, sound AWESOME!!

Counting the days down for you, also, Geoff & your travelling companion....

Hope the weather is fine/food delicious/sights are magnificent & everything else!! thumbsup

Cheers,

Kris  big_smile

P.s.   ....thanks for your site there, Young Mum - I'll have a nosey later!

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 03 Mar 07 4:53am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Thanks young mum - added that site to my bookmarks.

Only one day to go, and then we are off, and will be in Egypt on Monday.

I'll be taking a computer, of course, and (if everything works) I should be able to get online, even on the boat. (I have several alternative ways to connect, and have never failed yet smile)

Kiwi Girl - we also get "boiling fowl" - old hens past their egglaying days. As the name suggests, you need to boil them for quite along time! I give them at least an hour, and sometimes up to three hiurs in a slow cooker. They have a lot more flavour, and produce a wonderful stock. Coq au vin is traditionally made with boiling fowl -
not chicken. This is also the case with real chicken curries, which are cooked for ages, which develops the full flavour.

I'll be posting more Mediterranean recipes when we get back - my tastes are eclectic, and I cook in many different styles, and try to be authentic in each. We shall be visiting the Spice Market in Cairo to buy spices for me, and perfume for my friend (and for my wife).

I am sure we shall have a wonderful time - we usually do smile

Likes (0)

#24 Sun 04 Mar 07 2:50am

GeoffP

Forum champ

THE LAST POST
Well - the last for now:-

After this, the laptop is packed, and I'm off to bed.

Bags packed, all arrangements made, and in the morning, we're off - a leisurely drive down to Gatwick, an early  dinner (I know a nice gastropub nearby) and then off to bed, and up at an ungodly hour for the flight.

Don't know when I'll be able to get online - probably not until Tuesday, by which time we shall be on board, knocking back the G&Ts, relaxing in the jacuzzi on the sundeck, and watching the Nile flow by big_smile.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Bye for now.

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 04 Mar 07 3:16am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Oo, have fun.  Think of some of us less fortunate, stuck in places like rainy Manchester...   wink

Have a great time and be sure to keep us posted.

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 04 Mar 07 5:03am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

HI again, Geoff,

Sorry for my late reply, I got distracted oops .....but, I had been thinking of you - jetting off & then cruising down the NILE, though!! wink

Thanks for your post here!....cheers for the advice, on the old chicky boiling - this was waaaaaay back when I was a young chicky/kiwi myself lol ....20's yrs ago actually & we would collect our milk, from the dairy shed in a steel billy too - that's before trim milk was invented!

"Coq au vin" - never heard of this dish, thanks, I'll look into this recipe, sometime!

WOW!!....have lots of FUN, at the Cairo Spice Markets & the perfume for your lovely wife & friend, sounds devine, too!! thumbsup

Lap tops, are great inventions, aren't they!...we looked into buying one, but still perservering with the older version!

JACUZZI?!!!!!......now that's a HOLIDAY, plus the awesome cruise & more!!!!!! cool  thumbsup

Cherrio & looking forward, to hearing about your FAB travels, Geoff!!

Bon Voyage exclaim

Kiwi Kris

smile

P.S.  ....HI Anna - hope your weather improves & your spring-is-in-the-air SOON!!......autumn, has just started here in Kiwi Land!

Last edited by Kiwi Girl (Sun 04 Mar 07 6:31am)

Likes (0)

#27 Sun 04 Mar 07 10:05pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Geoff,  I hope you have a great tiem!!

Hi Kris!! smile

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 12 Mar 07 6:26am

GeoffP

Forum champ

Hiya all,

Just a quick check in. 1/2 way through cruise, flying down to Cairo tonight.

Food on board nt up to standard (my standard anyway), but should be better in Cairo, with greater choie of places to eat. Have picked up a few recipes to share.

Spice Market was fabulous - spent all afternoon - and bought about 14lbs of different spices at prices you would not beleive - e.g. Saffron at 5 UKP for 1lb - good stuff too!

More later when next I get broadband.

Likes (0)

#29 Mon 12 Mar 07 12:10pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Oh how exciting, just don't go overboard or you'll have to pay excess baggage... (and don't go overboard anyway, there are crocodiles down there).  I've heard the food on the cruises can be a little dire, but at least you've got Cairo to look forward to!

hey Kris, sorry, just saw your message now.  Spring is definitely in the air all of a sudden, just over the past week the crocuses (croci? crocii?) have burst into bloom everywhere apart from the No man's Land that is our front garden.  It's strangely warm too, even though it's grey.  Autumn's my favourite season, you still get fantastic produce BUT it's acceptable to stuff your face with stodgy food!  Whee!   wink

Likes (0)

#30 Mon 12 Mar 07 11:45pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Arrived Cairo. Food on boat not uptoscratch - claimed to be 5 star, I would rate it as a bare 3 star.

Not happy with hotel either - or tour organisers. (Jules Verne). Lunch on boat was at 12-30 - flight was at 7:30, and didn't arrivehotel until 10:45 -by whichtime rstaurant (almost 1/4 mile from room) was closed, and all we could get was a burger - an that took 40mins to arrive, was cold, and had cheese on (which I hate), instead of egg.

Tour rep is going to get an earful tomorrow,when we emanda move to a better hotel (again,its a three masquerading as a five.

Am not pleased sad

Likes (0)