Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 07 Feb 07 10:01pm

redhoth

Member since Wed 07 Feb 07

feta cheese

Hello i am 27, And i have absolutely no idea what to do with feta cheese.
My mother in-law keeps buying it for me and i am rapidly getting quite an extensive collection of different brands of feta.
Normally i am a competent cook, and i have cooked a large selection of jamies receipes from the 3 books of his i have,but i just don't know what to do with feta.The only suggestion most people have is salad, but i am not keen on that. So if anyone can tell me what to do with feta cheese, other than to put it in a salad i would be very grateful.

Also each time i cook one of the receipes from my cook books, i draw a circle in the corner, and once i have cooked the receipe i do a face in the circle ie// if we liked it a smiley face, if it was horrible a sad face. Or sometimes i leave myself a note, like not so much red wine vinegar, or not so much water.That way i have ajusted the receipe to my personal taste, and i don't make the same mistakes twice. My kids can't wait for me to hand the books down to them when their older as then they will have all my trade secrets (and my daughter is only 8).

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 08 Feb 07 12:12am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Re: feta cheese

OK here goes:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/ar … cheese.htm

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=feta

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-00, … se,FF.html

We eat feta with watermelon, halloumi also works well.

That lot should keep you occupied for a while  wink

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 08 Feb 07 6:46am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Baked Feta Cheese

1 block feta cheese
1/3 C. herb flavored olive oil
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
1/4 t. finely grated lemon zest
3 cloves of garlic pressed/sieved
1/4 t. seasoned salt, or regular salt
1/4 t. freshly ground pepper
3 - 5 T. fresh oregano leaves.

Place all marinating ingredients in a medium size plastic zip lock bag. Tip the bag back and forth to mix the contents, then add the feta. Zip the bag, break the feta into large chunks while turning and marinating for 3-5 hours at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Place feta and marinating ingredients into a pretty baking/serving dish. Bake for 10-15 minutes until feta becomes soft and tawny.

Serve with crusty bread and your favorite wine

Potato and Feta Cheese "Mouthfuls"   

Ingredients:
1 1/4 lb. Russet potatoes
1 cup Feta cheese
4 Green onions, chopped
3 Tbsp Chopped fresh dill
1 Egg, beaten
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Flour
3 Tbsp Olive oil

Directions:
Cook potatoes, in skin, in lightly salted water, until soft, about 25 minutes. Drain, cool and remove peels. Place potatoes in bowl and mash. Add cheese, onion, dill, egg, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir well. Cover and chill until firm. Divide mixture into walnut-size balls. Flatten slightly. Dredge with flour. Heat oil in fry pan and fry potato "mouthfuls" until golden brown on both sides. Serve hot.

MUSHROOMS STUFFED WITH WALNUTS, CHEESE, & SPINACH

Ingredients:

12 medium-size mushrooms caps
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon sweet butter
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
2 Tablespoon coarsely chopped walnuts
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
5 ounces frozen spinach, thoroughly defrosted and squeezed dry
1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
1 ounce Gruyere cheese, crumbled
2 Tablespoons minced fresh dill
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
Remove stems from mushroom and save for another use. Wipe the mushroom caps with a damp cloth or paper towel and set aside. Heat the olive oil and butter together in a small skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium heat, covered, until tender and lightly colored, about 25 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Add walnuts and garlic to onion and cook for another minute. Add spinach and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Stir in cheeses, dill, and salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange the mushrooms, cavity side up, in a baking dish. Divide the spinach and walnut mixture evenly among the mushroom caps. Set baking dish in the upper third of the oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until filling is browned and the mushrooms are thoroughly heated.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 08 Feb 07 12:49pm

indiechef

From London
Member since Sun 11 Dec 05

for party food just put an olive and a cube of feta on a coctail stick.

make loads and ur geusts will go mad for them

i also like making a pasta salad with them or do u not like pasta salad  question

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 08 Feb 07 1:50pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I agree.  We improvised a pasta salad over the summer, with pesto loosened with olive oil, feta, olives, spring onions and red peppers.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 08 Feb 07 7:21pm

Vasia

Occupation just statistics...
From Athens, Greece
Member since Mon 07 Aug 06

Hey redhoth!
You can also use feta cheese in order to make some kind of bread, that in Greece we call it cheese-bread.
You'll need..
1 cup of lukewarm water (maybe you'll need some more-it depends on the dough)
1/2 kg flour (for each use)
1 "little envelope" barm
a few salt
a few olive oil

Knead very well. The dough should be soft. When it's ready, leave it for 1 hour.
Nip off the feta cheese (the quantity you wish).
Knead again the dough together with the feta cheese. You can use some olive oil so that you can make it more easily.
Spread the dough in a large baking pan and leave it again for a while before you bake it. Then put it in the oven and bake it in 180C for about 1 hour.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 08 Feb 07 7:40pm

Femurs

Member since Sun 07 Jan 07

Spanakopita - greek cheese and spinach pies are lovely served hot wit some lemon uice squeezed over them:

here's a recipe for it:

Ingredients
500g/1lb 1oz young spinach, washed and cut into thin strips
1 tbsp chopped parsley
120g/4¼oz feta cheese, crumbled
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
olive oil, for  brushing filo
6 thin filo pastry sheets

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/250F/Gas 4.
2. For the filling, in a large bowl, combine the spinach and parsley
3. Now add the feta and mix well. Season.
4. For the spanakopita, grease a shallow baking dish with oil and line with three of the filo sheets, placing one on top of the other. Brush each sheet separately.
6. Put the filling over the pastry and spread evenly. Cover with the remaining filo. Brush the top with oil and, with the point of a sharp knife, trace the crust into square pieces.
7. Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 08 Feb 07 9:53pm

londonlorne

From at the rink
Member since Wed 29 Dec 04

redhoth, I make a variation on the spanakopita.  The ingredients are basically the same, but I lay out the 6 filo sheets, oiled, one on top of the other.  Then I take the spinach mixture, add an egg, mix it all together and then lay it out from one end to the other along the front edge of the filo.

Grab the front edge of the filo and roll it up over the spinach mixture.  Roll it until you have rolled all of the filo around the spinach filled filo tube, oil the outside of the tube, and bake on a baking sheet at 375 F for 25 minutes.  Cutting slice marks into the top of the tube before you bake it gives it a nice finish.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 08 Feb 07 10:29pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

I just tried a lovely sandwich today with rocket salad, cooked aubergines, cooked (but not over cooked) red peppers and feta cheese in a baguette.  We all added a bit of coarse salt and freshly ground pepper and a bit of olive oil.

It was absolutely delicious!

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 10 Feb 07 11:10pm

redhoth

Member since Wed 07 Feb 07

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE LOVELY IDEAS, MAYBE NOW I CAN MAKE A DENT IN MY COLLECTION OF FETA! big_smile

Likes (0)