forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 08 Feb 07 12:12pm

Mykael

Occupation Reprographics Co-ordinator / DTP Designer
From Southend-On-Sea
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

what's in Richmond sausages?

my girlfriend will only eat Richmond, she say they are kinder to the pig?! but is it me or are  Richmond sausages just too pink and well, too mushy? does anyone know what's in them? oops

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 08 Feb 07 2:09pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: what's in Richmond sausages?

Any sort of cheap, mushy, pink, flaccid supermarket sausage will not be made of pork from any sort of 'kind' farming.  Pigs are so terribly abused, if you wanted to see the conditions they exist under in intensive farming barns you only need to Google it (http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=mym2002).  If you want to be kind to the pigs, buy good quality sausages made from free-range, organically raised outdoor pigs, preferably local but there are also national brands (supermarkets all have their own organic ranges, plus there are brands like Helen Browning's or Duchy Originals).  Richmond sausages contain only around 51% pork; the minimum legal quantity for a 'pork sausage' is 42%.  Also, of the major national brands, Richmond sausages contain the most salt. 
http://www.sausagelinks.co.uk/facts_health.asp

I'd rather pay a bit more and enjoy a healthier, guilt-free sausage.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 08 Feb 07 3:23pm

Mykael

From Southend-On-Sea

Thanks for that! That is kind of what I have been saying to her, maybe she will try a real sausage now!

thanks again!  smile

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 09 Feb 07 12:14am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Hmmm - well, Richmond sausages contain less meat than most.
I found a site where there was an analysis of the additives used.

Richmond sausages contain the following additives:

● E450 – You wouldn’t expect sausages to contain added water but these low-meat (51%) sausages are practically dripping with it. The water is held in place by E450, a chemical which ‘solidifies’ the mixture

● E412 – an emulsifier which helps to hold fat and water together (the meat in these sausages is almost half fat); ● E300 and E307 - antioxidant vitamins which stop the fat content turning rancid. This givesthe product a long shelf life before it becomes unpalatable;

● E223 – a sulphite preservative which keeps the sausages safe to eat and prolongs their shelf life. Some people find that sulphites provoke shortness of breath and asthma;

● E128 – to disguise the low meat content these sausages have
been coloured with a synthetic chemical Azo Dye called Red 2G.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 09 Feb 07 12:45am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Richmond sausages are owned by the Kerry Group who are also responsible for those crappy cheese strings!!!!!!

Do your self a favour and find yourself a supplier that can deliver you some proper food...

Any company that is happy to churn out that over processed garbage puts no love into its ingredients or its production... Personally I would prefer to eat food that has been produced and made with a little love, Loved food is good food!

Believe me, the pigs that become those sausages are a million miles away from being happy pigs mate... or should I say happy "units".

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 09 Feb 07 6:46am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

GeoffP wrote:

Hmmm - well, Richmond sausages contain less meat than most.
I found a site where there was an analysis of the additives used.

Richmond sausages contain the following additives:

? E450 – You wouldn’t expect sausages to contain added water but these low-meat (51%) sausages are practically dripping with it. The water is held in place by E450, a chemical which ‘solidifies’ the mixture

? E412 – an emulsifier which helps to hold fat and water together (the meat in these sausages is almost half fat); ? E300 and E307 - antioxidant vitamins which stop the fat content turning rancid. This givesthe product a long shelf life before it becomes unpalatable;

? E223 – a sulphite preservative which keeps the sausages safe to eat and prolongs their shelf life. Some people find that sulphites provoke shortness of breath and asthma;

? E128 – to disguise the low meat content these sausages have
been coloured with a synthetic chemical Azo Dye called Red 2G.

puke  puke  puke  puke  puke  puke  puke  puke  puke  puke

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 09 Feb 07 11:22am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I saw that site, too, Geoff, but couldn't bear to read it!  One of my housemates eats those Walls skinless 'sausages' and had the audacity to complain about the 'weird smell' when I was cooking some organic, local pork and garlic sausages from the farmer's market...  hmm

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 09 Feb 07 2:47pm

Mykael

From Southend-On-Sea

ok wish I hadn't asked now as I feel sick! there is no way I'm letting eat them again!  puke

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 19 Feb 11 12:47am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Good work GeoffP
I think I have thought of a New Topic

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 19 Feb 11 2:19am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Sadly Geoff ,who was a bit of a forum guru , is no longer with us as he has sadly died some time ago . As you can see he left us quite a legacy of information that we can still refer to .

I saw your new thread and wil have to give se thought to the sausages that I buy .

Last edited by mummza (Sat 19 Feb 11 2:38am)

Likes (0)