forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 09 Feb 07 4:33am

BelarK

Occupation CSIRO - Marine Electronics
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Tue 11 Apr 06

What's a good olive oil?

In many of Jamie's and other recipe's I am told to use a "good" olive oil, but which one is a good one.

In Australian supermarkets there are so many brands of extra virgin, both local and imported, the choice is really bewildering. I know the old maxim of "costs more = better" but can anyone in the know recommend a preferred brand of good quality olive oil in Australia?

Thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 09 Feb 07 4:59am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: What's a good olive oil?

Bertoli is ok, as is colavitta (bear in mind i can't spell most of their names)

it really depends what you are going to use it for. You need an extra virgin olive oil (pukka is another good one that do flavoured oils) if you want it for salad dressings and/or dipping bread into. If you are using it in cooking one of the plain olive oils in the 4L tins is good enough. It's much cheaper to buy like that.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 09 Feb 07 5:00am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

btw, welcome fellow scientist

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 09 Feb 07 10:17pm

Femurs

Member since Sun 07 Jan 07

Hi

My preference is for greek extra virgin olive oil - i think it has a better taste than others.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 10 Feb 07 12:12pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Personally i like the more fruity or peppery extra virgin oils, and the only way i have found to figure out what i like is to try a few different ones over time.  Carapelli has an excellent extra virgin olive oil i really like . Recently i picked up some extra virgin that was on sale at a local grocery store. At 3$ a bottle i was convinced i couldn't go wrong.. It turned out to be very good. I went back and picked up 5 bottles , i store the unopened ones on the bottom shelve at back of refrigerator. the cold and dark should keep them from going rancid before i can use them up.That is the only problem to buying more oil than you can use up fairly quickly. Any type of oil but especially extra virgin and nut oils go off fairly fast. you can also keep your open bottle in the fridge but it may go cloudy or even solidify a bit. it won't hurt the flavour but not so convienent if you want to use it right away.

As an alternative to extra virgin olive oil , when you don't want to that great big kick of flavour but you would like some nice oil, try using Grapeseed oil. It also has a wicked high smoke point if you are searing off something.  Carapelli bottles a really good grapeseed oil, but i have tried others and so far i havn't found one i didn't like.

Be Careful if you are buying what you think is Italian olive oil though. IT may say bottled or packed in Italy but unless it says product of italy it is probably a Spanish bulk oil that an italian company has bought to resell. They can still be good, the sale oil i bought falls into this category and is really very nice.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#6 Sat 10 Feb 07 12:51pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

You shouldn't need to keep oil in the fridge. It will probably solidify (depending on whether or not it is blended with other oils). A cool dark cupboard is enough; unless you live in a very hot climate.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 10 Feb 07 12:51pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

which, coming to think of it, Brisvegas is. I'd just buy as you need it unless you stumble on a great deal.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 11 Feb 07 12:09am

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

i use spanish olive oil as i live in spain and the better spanish oils are easily available.

i usually keep 2 or 3 oils to hand, a mild (cheaper) one for cooking, a stronger one for things that may have other flavours that would overpower the oil, so as not to waste the best one (this is the least essential) and a good extra virgin. best advice i can give is to go out and buy one and taste it, if you like it stick with it. by the time youve tried a few you'll appreciate the difference.

to taste just dip some grilled crusty bread in the pure oil. if it wows you its the one. and dont be sold on fancy packaging, some of the better oils will solidify slighly and even contain sediment, this is not a bad thing and wont hurt you.

hope this helps in some way.

el.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 12 Mar 07 4:21am

BelarK

Occupation CSIRO - Marine Electronics
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Tue 11 Apr 06

Thanks for all your advice guys, I will try a few of the ones mentioned and do the comparison thing.

I have never really considered that oil would go off either, I buy as I need usually but there is half a bottle of Avocado oil at the back of my larder that maybe I should check on.....

Cheers

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 12 Mar 07 7:55am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

oil tends to go rancid when it gets old - it's probably due to chain scission or some such chemical reactions

Likes (0)