forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 10 Feb 07 1:09am

chrystaltips

Member since Thu 01 Feb 07

Organic Gardening Club

Hi Jamie,
Just thought you might like to know that you inspired me so much last year with your school dinners that i decided to set up a voluntary group.  We are called Little Green Fingers and are going into local primary schools setting up organic vegetable gardens.  From there we will run a gardening club with the school children in which i hope to include 'how to cook what we grow' Our first project is at St Annes Primary School in Wigan, Lancashire and we hope to be planting by the end of march this year and have a bountiful harvest!  Cant wait!
Would love to hear your opinions,
                                                Susan.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 10 Feb 07 10:22am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Re: Organic Gardening Club

That souns like a brilliant project Susan, I hope that it takes off...

How does the project fund itself? do you have any funding from the local Council? or are you guys footing the bill?

Getting funding here is like trying to get blood from a stone...

I believe that getting the kids involved in the very basics of cookery is core to the future food culture in the UK...

Veg gardens in schools and cookery lessons in school, it would be brilliant to see children involved in food again in schools.

At home I have started an organic herb and veg garden and the kids love growing their own food. Planting it, watering it and eventualy harvesting and cooking and eating what they have spent time and effort growing is realy rewarding... and it gives them a really great knowledge about food. my 3 year old son Leo, can identify most soft and hard herbs and most of the veg that we grow... he sometimes gets confused between cucumber and courgettes!!!

Well done and I wish you all the very best

Dave B

Last edited by DB27 (Sat 10 Feb 07 10:27am)

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 11 Feb 07 8:31pm

chrystaltips

Member since Thu 01 Feb 07

Thanks for your support. I have found it quite easy so far to get funding. A local community trust have given us £5000 to start with after which i have been given numerous contacts to apply for more money for each individual school that we go to.  I am also writing to local garden centres etc to ask if they would sponsor us and help to provide seeds and materials.
Everyone has been so encouraging.  The big job looming now is the groundwork, about which i am a little nervous.  This time last year Little Green Fingers was just an idea. Now it's time to put my spade where my mouth is and make my dreams become reality. Aaaaaah! yikes
I too have 3 children 4,6 & 8 who love nothing better than coming down to my allotment and helping to sow, nurture and harvest our veggies.  The cooking at the end of it is the icing on the cake.  The kids just love to be 'hands on' with everything and if we can give this opportunity to as many children as possible from an early age, my hope is that it will encourage them to maintain this healthier lifestyle through to adulthood.
Sorry to waffle on, i'm just a little bit passionate about the subject.....

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 12 Feb 07 11:12am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Waffle away mate..... I think what yoy are trying to do is great, you need people to hear about it and support you.

Good luck

Dave

Likes (0)