Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#19991 Tue 06 Mar 12 3:48pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Re: Whats For Supper?

Roasted chicken, plus some kind of potato dish and some kind of zucchini. I haven't decided on the sides yet, but I got a ton of zucchini in my order from my local produce co-op this week, so that will definitely have to be included somehow.  hmm

Likes (0)

#19992 Tue 06 Mar 12 6:16pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I made Char Kuey Teow last night, a Malaysian fried rice noodle dish.  Really loved the way it turned out and the fresh rice noodles were so silky!  Will be doing this again.  Not sure what's on for tonight.  A cold day here so it will be something to warm the insides.

Likes (0)

#19993 Tue 06 Mar 12 11:43pm

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

I made One Pot Chook, which I got off a TV program (Iain Hewitson) a few years ago, but had never made. It was very good, and I realise it was a tagine, by a different name.
So very exciting! I have cooked a recipe that has been waiting for me for a few years. I have cooked a tagine! and I made a very yummy supper!
Tick smile  tick smile  tick smile

PS Hi Maree wave
And everyone else!

Sounds great Joy.  What else was in it?

Tonight we're having pork stir fry with hokkien noodles.

Likes (0)

#19994 Wed 07 Mar 12 12:15am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Cheers Lynnej and LMG!
Here is the recipe as I copied it down through the program!

ONE POT CHOOK
2 chicken thighs with bones, skin removed
1/2 large lemon, slice thinly, remove pips
1 cup stock
salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp raisins
1 sliced garlic clove
squeeze of lemon juice
2 chat potatoes, halved
3 -4 broccoli flowerets

Heat a little oil in a medium pot and add chicken, cook for a minute, turning, until sealed. Drain.
Add everything but the broccoli to the pot.
Simmer very gently for 25 minutes
Add the broccoli and cook another couple of minutes until it is tender.
Remove the chicken, potatoes and broccoli to a deep bowl. Reduce the sauce to a syrup and pour it over, adding a squeeze more lemon if necessary.

I used a medium potato instead of the two chats and beans instead of broccoli, and I left out the raisins. I only had a little bit of stock so I made it up with water and added a little bit of thyme. It is obviously a nicely flexible recipe!
A good pinch of salt is all that is needed. And I only used a little oil so I didn't drain it out.

It worked so well and was very straightforward, not many dishes! It was a big meal for me, but I managed it no problem! lol

It was the raisins that made me first think it seemed a bit Moroccan, and then I thought that maybe the turmeric was originally saffron. (Mind you it was delicious with turmeric).

It didn't need a slowcooker, thanks to the tender chicken thighs I guess!

Yum, I have got hungry for it again, just writing this! I will have to make it again soon! cool

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Wed 07 Mar 12 12:16am)

Likes (0)

#19995 Wed 07 Mar 12 12:45am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Wow, sounds great Joy!

I am having dinner out tonight (ohh, lucky me!) at a local Indian restaurant for our girls night out. I have an obsession with curry at the moment so tonight should be fabulous. Drinks first at a local tavern and then on to some deliciousness that is delightfully spiced meat with a gorgeous sauce and fluffy jasmine rice. Oh, I soooo cannot wait!!!

Likes (0)

#19996 Wed 07 Mar 12 1:14am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia

Thanks Joy.  Is that supposed to be a serving for one?  I can't imagine it would feed any more hmm

Likes (0)

#19997 Wed 07 Mar 12 2:34am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

OK, this guy walks into a southeast asian market, sees a package of fresh rice noodles.....
Yes, making Char Kuey Teow again tonight.  These noodles look even better than the ones I used last night and I am hooked!

Likes (0)

#19998 Wed 07 Mar 12 8:57am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Had planned on using left over shanks (from two nights ago- I always cook extra) over rice with extra veg but my son begged to take them back with him. What's a mother to do?

Instead, dahl, veg and rice.

Thanks for the recipe, Joy. Sounds delish thumbsup

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#19999 Wed 07 Mar 12 6:37pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Cheers Lynnej and LMG!
Here is the recipe as I copied it down through the program!

ONE POT CHOOK
2 chicken thighs with bones, skin removed
1/2 large lemon, slice thinly, remove pips
1 cup stock
salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp raisins
1 sliced garlic clove
squeeze of lemon juice
2 chat potatoes, halved
3 -4 broccoli flowerets

Heat a little oil in a medium pot and add chicken, cook for a minute, turning, until sealed. Drain.
Add everything but the broccoli to the pot.
Simmer very gently for 25 minutes
Add the broccoli and cook another couple of minutes until it is tender.
Remove the chicken, potatoes and broccoli to a deep bowl. Reduce the sauce to a syrup and pour it over, adding a squeeze more lemon if necessary.

I used a medium potato instead of the two chats and beans instead of broccoli, and I left out the raisins. I only had a little bit of stock so I made it up with water and added a little bit of thyme. It is obviously a nicely flexible recipe!
A good pinch of salt is all that is needed. And I only used a little oil so I didn't drain it out.

It worked so well and was very straightforward, not many dishes! It was a big meal for me, but I managed it no problem! lol

It was the raisins that made me first think it seemed a bit Moroccan, and then I thought that maybe the turmeric was originally saffron. (Mind you it was delicious with turmeric).

It didn't need a slowcooker, thanks to the tender chicken thighs I guess!

Yum, I have got hungry for it again, just writing this! I will have to make it again soon! cool

Sounds wonderful joy. I love tagine and one pot meals this is one i will happily make thanks for the recipe.
Hope you OK  smile

Last edited by joobes (Wed 07 Mar 12 6:38pm)

Likes (0)

#20000 Thu 08 Mar 12 1:06am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia

Tonight we are having Jamie's courgette carbonara big_smile

Maree, of course you have to part with your delicious left-overs for the kids lol   Hope he got home safely in this awful weather.

Likes (0)