forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#20191 Sat 07 Apr 12 4:35am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Whats For Supper?

Congratulations on last night Maree! It sounds like a wonderful celebration!

What a great comfort meal your daughter asks for! smile

Likes (0)

#20192 Sat 07 Apr 12 6:25am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

My wife and I had both of our families over for supper tonight . It was our general potluck family dinner with everyone bringing something. We took our time and slowly did small courses over a few hours with lots of wine.

to start
corstini con  baccalà mantecato ,  cheeses, pickles and olives and breads  .
A big nod to Mada for the baccala idea,  the family loved it. Really not a  surprise  considering that newfies and jamaicans love to rock  the salt cod.

shrimp risotto  ( my wife nailed this one . My family was supremely impressed.  thumbsup  )

halibut , potato casserole  ( my MIL made this and it was and always is incredible) and salmon dill pie( my eldest sister made this) and a leafy green salad with strawberries and citrus dressing that my mother put together.

A shotglass full of a sour orange /cava  slush as a palate cleanser after all the fish dishes  while we were  talking and taking a break before dessert.

dessert   lemon custard bars and small lemon  cakes  that my wife made.   My sister also brought a pumpkin pie by request of my nephew.

Coffee  yummy

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#20193 Sat 07 Apr 12 9:20am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Venison and red wine casserole, with celeriac mash and roasted Brussels sprouts.  Rhubarb crumble for pudding.

Likes (0)

#20194 Sat 07 Apr 12 3:53pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Sorry, I can't do "quotes" on the BBerry and I can't get "in" to JO via the PC.

So please be patient with me.

Joy wrote: "What a great comfort meal your daughter asks for!"

Yes, it is Joy. Though I admit I'd prefer to cook something different when she comes up to visit.

My son's the same. He wants veal osso bucco (not that easy to find the veal here) or lamb shanks with polenta oand fresh beans on his visits. No matter the season.

I remind them that my culinary repetoire is broader but that's what they want.

Almost Easter Sunday. Am going to cook "Easter Easter" (whatever that is) because next weekend I'm hosting my first solo Greek Easter since my FIL passed away.

So, will report back with Easter Easter (my in-laws called it Australian Easter- whatever that is in such a multi-cultural country).

Have prawns (cliche) and have dips made/prep'd. Will leave the lamb (*so* wrong here at this time of the year-mid Autumn/Fall) etc until next weekend's Greek feast.

Night all wave  Must go to bed.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#20195 Sun 08 Apr 12 4:55am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Tonight I am making chinese bbq pork buns and leftover fried noodles.
Tomorrow will do a  big Easter lunch.  Spur of the moment.  Had the traditional American version last Sunday when  my sis and her partner were visiting.  Tomorrow I will do it Italian style with lamb, vignarola (spring veg stew) asparagus risotto and semolina bread.  Oh, and pink cupcakes for dessert.

Likes (0)

#20196 Sun 08 Apr 12 5:18am

Maree

Forum super champ

Taramasalata (h/m), tzatziki, hummous, baba ganoush with crudites and flat bread (h/m)-think roti. Olives (self cured) with herbs and EVOO (made a couple of weeks ago), feta with fresh herbs, chilli and EVOO (made few weeks ago).

Prawns (aiolli and mayo) to accompany. Calamari salad my way. Prawns in coriander and lime juice from the grill pan. Skinless (can't buy casings in less than 1kg packs) rosemary and lamb "sausages".

Potato salad, garden salad, avocado salad.

My great- MILs Greek "rice pudding" with stewed quince to finish.

So much for this "not being" "Greek Easter" which is next weekend with the slow cooked lamb, lemon potatoes, much of the above, the red-dyed eggs (and the egg smashing competition) and the plaited brioche/challah-like bread with the three red eggs atop.

Tonight will be leftovers thumbsup

Likes (0)

#20197 Sun 08 Apr 12 10:14am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Curried egg salad to start, followed by roast rib of beef with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, roast parsnips and green beans and gravy, with chocolate pots for pudding.  It will be an early supper to give us all time to digest before going to bed  lol

Likes (0)

#20198 Sun 08 Apr 12 10:39am

Maree

Forum super champ

Leftovers from the luncheon meal as mentioned above.

Likes (0)

#20199 Sun 08 Apr 12 4:56pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Maree wrote:

I out did myself on the "ambitious" stakes tonight. I invited a mixed group of Christians (Good Friday today), Jews (Passover today) and Ukrainian/Russian and Greek Orthodox (their Easter is next weekend). We don't know each other well but were at a "loose end" tonight.

We will be 12 in total.

For the Christians, I have steamed fish, julliened veg  with mash, peas and carrots.

For the Jewish Seders meal, matzo ball soup crossed and sweet potatoes with beets/beetroot and garden salad.

For the Orthodox, the Greek's chicken and egg soup, the Ukranian/Russian's borsch with green beans with tomatoes, rice and a chick pea and lentil salad.

In truth, all food will be "serve yourself" style with a (hopefully) mingling of minds, cultures and philosophy.

Apples, pears, stewed quince and new season walnuts to follow.

They are due in 40 mins. I stayed up until nearly 4am doing as much prep as I could.

Hope it turns out OK. 

If I contemplate doing this again, please tell me I'm mad.

On the other hand, it could be a great night crossed

I fancy the Russian Orthodox dinner please!

What would you give someone not of 'any of the above' religions? Just asking in case the Russians had eaten it all by the time I got there!

Likes (0)

#20200 Sun 08 Apr 12 8:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Marée, i choose the Jewish meal without the beets please... wave

Shephards pie tonight...Made in France smile

Likes (0)