Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#22191 Fri 11 Apr 14 7:27am

lmbathome

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member since Fri 21 Feb 14

Re: Whats For Supper?

Breaded halibut fillets With wedge cut potatoes & garden salad.

Also, just a note-I also tried the hassleback potatoes BFY. I put them in the microwave for 10 minutes (two potatoes). then in the oven at 400 degrees F.        I oiled them & seasoned with garlic powder & pepper. But I found them quite bland. I was disappointed as I was looking forward to them. I will have to try again, maybe add some salt? Although I don't normally use salt when I cook. Just letting you know your not alone... neutral
P.S. Your potatoes looked perfect B.F.Y.!

Likes (0)

#22192 Fri 11 Apr 14 7:30am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

lmbathome wrote:

Breaded halibut fillets With wedge cut potatoes & garden salad.

Also, just a note-I also tried the hassleback potatoes BFY. I put them in the microwave for 10 minutes (two potatoes). then in the oven at 400 degrees F.        I oiled them & seasoned with garlic powder & pepper. But I found them quite bland. I was disappointed as I was looking forward to them. I will have to try again, maybe add some salt? Although I don't normally use salt when I cook. Just letting you know your not alone... neutral
P.S. Your potatoes looked perfect B.F.Y.!

Coincidentally, this email arrived last night. It may/ may not help:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ … NDUwMzc5S0

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#22193 Fri 11 Apr 14 7:56am

lmbathome

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member since Fri 21 Feb 14

Thanks For the link Maree.
I think adding the garlic  in-between & using some salt may help. I will try again soon & keep you all posted on how they turn out!

Likes (0)

#22194 Fri 11 Apr 14 8:08am

Maree

Forum super champ

You're welcome. I think from memory, Y put garlic slivers in the cuts when he made. Might be wrong smile.

Likes (0)

#22195 Fri 11 Apr 14 8:36am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Maree wrote:

You're welcome. I think from memory, Y put garlic slivers in the cuts when he made. Might be wrong smile.

Yes, I did. I believed it would keep the slices apart a little thereby aiding the cooking and allowing the spice mixtures to penetrate easily. Unfortunately I cannot say whether it worked or not.

As far as adding salt is concerned, I tend to use too much so I shouldn't comment.

Out of interest, a friend of mine a couple of hundred kilometers north of here made some the following day and after taking account of my failure, he adjusted cooking times and his were wonderful.

Y

Likes (2)

#22196 Fri 11 Apr 14 9:09am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Tonight will be whatever is freshest at the fishmonger  big_smile   I have some leeks and some potatoes to go along with the fish.

Edit - the fishmonger had some lovely lemon sole fillets, and I found some samphire locally to go with them, the leeks and the potato!

Last edited by oliviascotland (Fri 11 Apr 14 7:54pm)

Likes (0)

#22197 Sat 12 Apr 14 10:33am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Cottage pie tonight.

Likes (0)

#22198 Sat 12 Apr 14 10:34am

Maree

Forum super champ

Crispy skin salmon, chargrilled asparagus, steamed baby potatoes, chargrilled corn.

Likes (0)

#22199 Sat 12 Apr 14 10:47pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

having some friends over for supper.Going with easy menu which also is the favourite meal of one of them.
lasagna, caesar salad , garlic bread, chocolate cake for dessert.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#22200 Sun 13 Apr 14 12:09am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

leftovers after a day outdoors gardening and repotting flowers and strawberries ........... veg soup, ricotta/spinach strudel in phyllo pastry, brussel sprouts and a slice of homemade spring loaf with lots of sultanas

Likes (0)