forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Sun 25 Feb 07 9:04am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Whats For Supper?

I found out about a different  Italian specialty store  in the next city over and visited it on friday. I was very happy to find some divella "00" flour for pizza, so that is what we had tonight... some nice homemade thin crust pizza.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#52 Sun 25 Feb 07 9:26am

emmylu

Occupation unknown
From sydney, nsw, australia
Member since Mon 20 Nov 06

sounds great ashen. tonight everyone is a little better, but we have a house full. the weather was pretty miserable (as well as everyones attitude, lol) and i had a lazy day since everyone was running back and forth to the hospital and such... i managed to get quite a bit of skool work done, too... so tonight we had roast lamb with baked veg and home-made gravy.... i cooked for everyone, bout 10 of us. for dessert there is a freshly baked white chocolate and plum cake... yummo

Likes (0)

#53 Mon 26 Feb 07 11:59am

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

I wasn't feeling well so it took me til today to finish off the naan bread.. It turned out pretty well but i think i will bake it off a bit longer next time. I ended up doing it in a 500 F oven on my two pizza stones for about 5 mins. I never got around to the curry though didn't feel like going out today.

So for supper today i made a spezzatino.  northern italian stewlike dish and one of my favourite comfort foods. When i was a child this was always accompanied by polenta brustalada but i didn't have the energy so i served it over rice.

for those not familiar with polenta brustalada.. after you make polenta you  pour it into a shallow dish and let it cool . Once it is cool and solidified you slice it  and toast it under your broiler.  the slices are also very good fried in a bit of butter and olive oil.

Last edited by Ashen (Mon 26 Feb 07 12:00pm)

Likes (0)

#54 Mon 26 Feb 07 12:44pm

emmylu

Occupation unknown
From sydney, nsw, australia
Member since Mon 20 Nov 06

that polenta brustalada sounds really nice ashen. do you have a recipe... i would LOVE to try it!!!!!!!
tonite for dinner i made a simple cottage pie. it was lousy weather (and its sposed to be summer here!!!!) and the house was lovely and peaceful... perfect weather for comfort food smile

Likes (0)

#55 Tue 27 Feb 07 12:41am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I'm distraught.  We were both working late so I ordered Chinese on the way home.  They took my order and hung up without taking my address because they recognised my voice and knew the address off by heart. 

Methinks I must branch out a little with my takeaways.

Likes (0)

#56 Tue 27 Feb 07 12:57am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

lol Anna, my local does too... they recognise my phone number.

Ashen, hope you are well today! I finally made my first Indain meal, lol! Me and my obsessing,  lol . I ended up doing a chicken balti, with thighs. I think I will add a bit of coconut milk in the end, not sure yet as it is pretty good without it. Made a basic dahl, although I dont know if there's a more extended one... and am having the cauliflower ( korma ) with it as I just can't get all the ingredients for the recipe you suggested without driving all over the counrty side for it. Next time I go into Vancouver or even Abbotsford I think I can get everything.  smile

P.S. is there a basic list of ingredients that one should have to prepare Indian foods? It's almost like having the basics for Japanese and Chinese which I usually have but am quite new to Indian foods. Thanks to anyone out there for any advise. smile

Likes (0)

#57 Tue 27 Feb 07 2:52am

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

bcrain, I'm not all that familiar with Indian cooking either so I've just borrowed Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Cooking from the library.  It's super-organized and a great intro also.  She describes in detail most spices used for Indian cooking and how to use them.

Oh, and as far as what's for dinner, since I'm working late(ish) tonight, I roasted a chicken on Sunday and will be using the meat in chicken tacos.  Very simple.  Very fast. smile

Likes (0)

#58 Tue 27 Feb 07 4:22pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Eilen, thank you, I will have a look at the library for it. smile

Likes (0)

#59 Thu 01 Mar 07 12:37pm

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

thanks Bcrain.. i am feeling better now thanks  smile 

supper tonight was some fresh tortellini and homemade meatballs with a simple tomato sauce.. I am so glad my wife and i have found this great italian store in kitchener.  Lots of specialty ingredients and cheeses to try out , fresh pasta and bread and a pretty good cappuccino and esspresso too  wink

Emmylou i would be glad to give you the recipe.. i will post the polenta and spezzatino recipe on the recipe swap side for you.

Last edited by Ashen (Thu 01 Mar 07 12:37pm)

Likes (0)

#60 Sun 04 Mar 07 9:03am

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

spare ribs were on sale this week so i did up some with a homemade bbq sauce.. dessert  a few hrs later  was fresh fruit with dark chocolate fondue.

Likes (0)