Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 11 Feb 07 5:38pm

KT35

Member since Fri 29 Dec 06

Doing a chicken dish but have a question .....

I've got my two sister-in-laws staying on Tuesday (they're 13 and 16) and a friend of mine made chicken breasts in a chilli and tarragon cream sauce.   It tasted fantastic when he did a dinner party.   I'm a bit worried about the combination of chilli and tarragon, he pulled it off but I don't know if I will, has anyone any ideas?   
Thanks in advance.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 11 Feb 07 9:37pm

sweetie-pie

From England
Member since Sun 01 Jan 06

Re: Doing a chicken dish but have a question .....

Personally, if I'm making something for guests and I want to be sure it turns out ok, I'd have a quick practice in advance.

The only thing I'm aware off is needing to be careful with tarragon, as it can be very strong and possibly overpowering - but if you more or less follow the recipe and taste it as you are cooking, there's no reason why it wouldn't work. I suppose the same could be said about chilli - and whether you decide to leave the seeds out or put them in - again, I'd be tasting as I'm cooking - although be careful adding chilli - I tend not to notice it gradually increasing in heat (and I like things very hot anyway), so I can be merrily eating away whilst other diners are reaching for the water jug  lol . Now I call my partner in to taste check as well.

It certainly sounds like an interesting recipe - can you post it?

Otherwise, if it worked for your friend, then ask him for his tricks thumbsup

SP

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 12 Feb 07 1:47pm

KT35

yep, the recipe is:      Place 4 skinned and boned chicken breasts in a casserole dish and pour in 1 pint of homemade chicken or vegetable stock. (Its better with chicken stock, so my friend says)  then add a finely sliced red chilli without the seeds. Cover with lid or foil and cook on 180 deg for about 35 minutes. This basically poaches the chicken.  Check the chicken is cooked through and strain off the stock into a saucepan. Pop the chicken back in the oven or under the grill to quickley brown off without drying out.

Add 150ml white wine to the stock and then reduce by half. Add about 1 teaspoon of dried tarragon or 3 tsp of fresh tarragon. It'll start to look quite colourful because of the red strips of chilli and green tarragon leaves.
Bring to the boil and then simmer for a few minutes.  Now add 1/2 pint of fresh double cream or cream fraiche and warm through. Taste and seaon if needed. Pour over chicken breasts and serve.

I'm serving it with asparagus spears and saute new potatoes, if it works out alright.  whistle

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 12 Feb 07 5:23pm

chanelee

Occupation college student(English major)
From Shanghai,China
Member since Sun 11 Feb 07

Here's a great recipe of chicken cube, I just translated it into English:
prepare:chicken breast(300g) peanut(50g) dried chilli(20g) farina(25g) bree(20g) peanut oil(80g)
Cut the chicken breast into cubes of 1or2cm square, add soy-sauce,yellow wine,farina and salt to season it. Mix some soy sauce,sugar,vinegar,bree and farina to make the sauce. Fry the peanuts until they'r crisp.Fry the chopped chilli until dark in another pan with oil,then stir-fry the chicken breast cubes in the pan, put some garlic and ginger and shallot in it. When the chicken cubes are cooked, add the premade sauce into it, stir, add the fried peanuts and stir a little bit. Done! Enjoy it with chopsticks. Lovely!
It's really nice. Have a try! lol

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 15 Feb 07 7:06pm

KT35

Just to let you all know, the chicken with Chilli and tarragon worked a treat.

Everyone ate it all !!!   

So the recipe works !
mrgreen

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 15 Feb 07 9:08pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

thumbsup

Likes (0)