forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 13 Feb 07 6:23pm

BrianG

Occupation HM Forces
From UK
Member since Mon 05 Feb 07

To Fat To Fight

I'm in the army and i've just gave up smoking 4 weeks ago. Because of health reasons and fitness which is important in my job. Now i can't stop eating junk to fill the smoking gap. I fear i'm gonna be to fat to fight as they say in the army.  sad

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 13 Feb 07 10:05pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Re: To Fat To Fight

Have you tried the gum or the patch might be more convienient for you and work... can you eat hard candies instead? If everything else is gone and you only have hard candies it may help? My hubby just quit as well, but since I got rid of all the junk food, lol, there's only the candies there. The worst is when he has a few brewskis... but the cravings only last for a bit so hang in there!

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 13 Feb 07 10:52pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

Eat good food, fruits and the lark. I find that when I eat more fruit it kind-a acts like a natural high.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 14 Feb 07 2:42pm

BrianG

Occupation HM Forces
From UK

Bcrain - I'm on the patches, they're working to fight the nicotine addiction however it's the habit thing, i'm finding it hard to push. Instead of sparking up a cigarette i'm throwing a packet of crisps or a choccy bar down my neck. I'm getting there though.

AlexG - Think i might try fruit maybe dried fruit less to carry and just as good.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 15 Feb 07 12:45am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Dried fruit would be a good substitute; maybe a bottle of very cold water (takes longer to drink). Or something else to distract you. My aunt went cold turkey after years of trying other methods; she worked out how much she spent on cigarettes in a year and bought a beautiful pearl ring; she'd rub it whenever she got a craving - now she's smoke free with a well worn pearl.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 15 Feb 07 1:54am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

Just be careful you don't eat too many of those dried fruits though... mind you, you'll be running to the can a lot faster, lol!

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 15 Feb 07 1:16pm

BrianG

Occupation HM Forces
From UK

bcrain - yep i found that one out the hard way just ate a bag of dried prunes shocked

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 15 Feb 07 4:41pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

lol  lol

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 15 Feb 07 10:27pm

ady+deb

Occupation ady=warehouseman, deb=powerhouse/godess
From nr Heathrow , London
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

Hi Brian,
    In 2 days time I will have given up for 8 months. I know its hard, but keep trying. Apart from the cravings, the worst thing for me was what to do with my hands, and as you have found, something to put in your mouth. Dried fruit is good, but you could also try some of those sugar free gums. To keep your hands busy, how about taking up knitting ?. Only kidding !. After a while you just naturally do other things with your hands.
I must admit though, I do get a funny mental picture of you on exercise laying in a water filled trench knitting a scarf !!.
    Keep smiling,
        Ady.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 16 Feb 07 12:23am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

You know ady, a lot of men knit and are quite good at it! I saw this program about it, lol! I think it's your will power that determines many choices. Mind you, the average person takes 3-4 attemps to quit smokig. Good for you in quitting, still get the urge?

Likes (0)