forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 16 Feb 07 3:21pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: To Fat To Fight

I started obsessively brushing my teeth.  If your mouth's always clean and fresh, you don't want to dirty it with cigarettes (worked for me...).  I also started doing sit-ups when I wanted a cigarette.  It distracted me and I felt better for having done something physical.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 16 Feb 07 4:48pm

BrianG

Occupation HM Forces
From UK
Member since Mon 05 Feb 07

This is my third attempt and i have got to admit that i'm doing a whole lot better than the previous attempts. The 1st time i found out i was gonna be a Dad and suddenly felt the need to spark up. The 2nd time i was deployed to Iraq so i didn't last long of the smokes. This time i'm determined to give it up. At the end of the day, it is pure will power that'll get me through it. 4 weeks 2 days so far.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 16 Feb 07 10:32pm

ady+deb

Occupation ady=warehouseman, deb=powerhouse/godess
From nr Heathrow , London
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

Well done Brian, keep it up !.
   bcrain yeah I do still get the urge sometimes, but they have got further apart the longer I have given up. Must admit Iraq would have got me sparking up as well !.
   Anna I like the idea of the sit ups, but don't you get funny looks doing them in the middle of Tesco's, the pub etc.
   Keep smiling,
       Ady.

Last edited by ady+deb (Fri 16 Feb 07 10:34pm)

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 14 Mar 07 5:26pm

BrianG

Occupation HM Forces
From UK
Member since Mon 05 Feb 07

I'm closing in on the 8 week mark of quiting the cancer sticks. I have put on so much weight i'm starting to struggle to get into my uniform. I can't stop eating the junk food. I eat lots of healthy food to however the junk food out weighs the healthy food. To scared to check my daily calorie intake. yikes  I think the best thing for me is to do alot of exercise. But hay, atleast i'm not smoking anymore. big_smile

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 15 Mar 07 4:12pm

chilleddom

Occupation Chef
From Oxfordshire
Member since Wed 29 Nov 06

Brian,
I have just finished a Paul McKenna book and Cd called "Quit Smoking Today without puuting on wieght". It has a hypnotic CD which is great for relaxation and really does work in helping with the cravings and the book has quite a few easy techniques to help out as well. Having done patches, gum, Alan Carr and food in the past I feel a lot more positive about this one. Will let you know how it goes.
On the putting on weight side of things, try nibbling on veg instead. By now you will have re-developed a greater sense of taste so items like chocolate and junk food will taste great once again but also try raw veg etc as that will taste great too. And get more exercise! I used to eat over 6000 calories a day when i was super fit and exercised a lot, however that was 6000 calories of really healthy food and i was working high up in the mountains. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 15 Mar 07 4:32pm

ZORZOU

Forum champ
Occupation STAYING AWAKE BECAUSE OF MY SECOND BABY!!
From ATHENS - HELLAS
Member since Sun 15 Oct 06

Unfortunately my dad had to quit smoking the hard way.... After having a second heart attack (first at the age 42) at 50 he just realised that he wasn't such a great smoking lover as he used to tell us for ages..... Now after a double bypass surgery he doesn't want to hear about smoking at all...  and if he sees anyone smoking he tries to convince him/her to give it up as soon as possible....
Well... as far as body weight is concerned.... ok, he has gained some kilos but his lungs are crystal clearand he walks 3 miles/day!!!

Forgot to say that my dad is 59 yrs old now... smile

Last edited by ZORZOU (Thu 15 Mar 07 4:45pm)

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 15 Mar 07 6:58pm

Vasia

Occupation just statistics...
From Athens, Greece
Member since Mon 07 Aug 06

That's really good for your dad Zorzou, that he succeeded in quitng smoking!
My parents both smoke and the "bad" news is that my brother (who is sixteen) smokes from last year!!! We tell him the disadvantages as he had some breathin problems when he was a baby but he can't understand it.
As for the weight, one of my unces had to face that. When he quited smoking, he get a bit fatter, and the result was to start smoking again..

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 15 Mar 07 7:01pm

Vasia

Occupation just statistics...
From Athens, Greece
Member since Mon 07 Aug 06

And Brian! You try really hard! A great bravo to you! Keep it up!! smile

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 16 Mar 07 10:17pm

gregandjanine

Occupation Teacher/Registered Nurse
From Brisbane Australia
Member since Fri 14 Apr 06

I am with Zorzou on this one....

My Dad had his first heart attack at the young age of 40 years old... now 30 years on... he has had a total of 4 heart attacks, a triple bypass, an operation on his legs to improve circulation, another operation on his heart where they had to insert a stent... 

Some of the above can be attributed to Smoking....

There were genetic and lifestyle influences as well.

I think that anyone that attempts to give up smoking deserves praise and all our encouragement. 

Brian.... even though it is really tough at the moment, the really important thing is not to fall back into old habits. Have you tried to replace the craving with a distraction technique... doing something completely alien to what you did when you tended to have a cigarette??

The other thing is to probably only deal with one difficulty at a time.... i.e. Smoking.  Once you have overcome the cravings and are well on the way to beating the addiction...then maybe it can be time to look at eating habits and what you are doing in that respect. Also look at the posts other people have listed who have given up smoking...their ideas and feedback will be invaluable and maybe something that can fit with your lifestyle and coping styles.

Keep up the good work Brian.... DON'T give up...  especially when you have done so well and come so far.... :-)

Cheers,
Janine.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 18 Mar 07 12:56pm

dcc251

Occupation Lumberjack
From In the Salmon Arms
Member since Tue 22 Feb 05

I gave up after reading Allen Carr's book. Never had a craving afterwards, and didn't put on any weight.

His point about that was very much that, once you've quit you have the physical ability to do more exercise, and that you didn't eat rubbish before you started smoking, so why would you need to do it when you stop.
Good luck with the quitting by the way. It's gets easier and easier with time.

Likes (0)