Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Healthy living, long life?

Yorkshire's secret of longevity

'Oldest' woman dies at age of 111
Ada Mason
Mrs Mason put her long life down to daily doses bread and dripping
A woman from West Yorkshire, who was believed to be the oldest person in England, has died at the age of 111.

Tributes have been paid to widow Ada Mason, from Upton, who died in her sleep on Tuesday.

Mrs Mason, who had outlived all of her five children, put her long life down to eating bread and dripping "with lots of salt on".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west … 359547.stm

Have you ever noticed that that the people who live the longest seem to be those with the most unhealthy lifestyles?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 14 Feb 07 4:21am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Re: Healthy living, long life?

Although I have heard some people saying they have lived long lives from daily gin and tonics,  and other not so healthy diets, I believe a long life is due to genetics. But much as we have heard here in our neck of the woods most of them have decended from England, lol. Or maybe it's the juniper berries? Most of my decendents came from England and lived hard lives here at the beginnings of our province of B.C. Earliest decendents lived to 88/90 and that's pretty good considering. And that's when TB was in full force.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 14 Feb 07 4:23am

cupcake

Forum champ
From Cambodia, eh?
Member since Tue 09 Nov 04

Hmmm. My gran died last year at 104, also outliving her children.
Though I can't say she led an unhealthy lifestyle - hers was a diet high in seafood and olive oil. She did, however, have a predilection for wine and snooker, in that order.  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 15 Feb 07 12:51am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I think it's just good genes. I have a long line of people behind me who lived well into their eighties (some despite serious illness), even a couple of hundred years ago. Unless I get hit my something large then I think it's all good. I did get a shock looking through old photos one day to find an ancestor who died at forty - but it turned out he died trying to cross a flooded river; so he didn't contribute bad genes but maybe stupidity. My granfather's uncle smoked until the day he died at 97, and ate fig jam alot as i understand it. I guess he was just outside that percentage of people who get cancer from smoke.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 15 Feb 07 10:38pm

ady+deb

Occupation ady=warehouseman, deb=powerhouse/godess
From nr Heathrow , London
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

I agree about it being down to good genes. One of the guys I work with has smoked 40 a day for over 35 years and has never even had a cold !.
  One of my great, great uncles drowned in a vat of beer ( I have heard that he was pulled out 4 times before he succeeded ). Maybe that is why I like a beer now and again!.
   Keep smiling,
      Ady.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 19 Feb 07 3:28pm

Katja

Forum champ
Occupation Study to become a social and healthcare assistent
From Denmark
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

I also think that its in the genes wether you get really old or not but looking out for what you eat has something to say aswell ...

Likes (0)