Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 14 Feb 07 3:24am

TheBeast

Occupation Part time on checkouts, trying to get an an Open Uni (MA) philosophy course
From Leeds
Member since Fri 09 Feb 07

Tomato Soup

OK, this was my first attempt at soup. There's been a few mushroom soups cooked up in my house, but I wanted to break from tradition and try something different.

This isn't a creamy soup. It has a flavour much closer to natural tomatoes, and as such is subtle and the natural flavour of the tomatoes accentuated, rather than masked or impaired as in tinned soup. Anyways, since I'm learning, enjoy and let me know what you think.

Tomato Soup

Ingredients

10 large tomatoes
A large handful of oregano
Stock
Cointreau
Salt
Butter
Flour
Milk
Cornstarch
Mozzerella

Method

Place tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and pour over boiling water to cover

After a few minutes take out a tomato and try to peel the skin off. If the skin comes off easily, peel all the tomatoes. If not, put the tomato back and wait another minute.

Place the tomato skins and 3/4s of the oregano back into the bowl of water.

Take a large saucepan and put it on a high heat. Add the butter and flour and mix up to melt the butter. For this recipe it doesn't matter if the flour forms into lumps

Add the peeled tomatoes to the pan. Mash them into a pulp and cook on a high heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes

Add a large handful of mozzerella to the pan and stir in.

Reduce heat and add remaining oregano. Place lid on pan for 15 minutes

Sieve the water with the skins and oregano into the pan and give it a stir. Add a dash of cointreau and some salt.

Place the lid back on the pan for 20 minutes

Add half a pint of milk and stir in. Mix a small amount of milk with a teaspoon of cornstarch and stir in to thicken the soup

Turn off the heat and pour the soup into a large container (I used a mixing bowl) via a colander. With a teaspoon, keep scraping and mixing round the bottom (inside) of the colander to get the soup out. Discard the lumps in the colander

Serve up the liquid in the container. Season to taste and enjoy.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 14 Feb 07 10:24am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Tomato Soup

I would never have thought of putting Cointreau into a tomato soup. Interesting!

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 14 Feb 07 11:21am

TheBeast

Occupation Part time on checkouts, trying to get an an Open Uni (MA) philosophy course
From Leeds

I wanted to make the soup a little sweeter - a notion I was contemplating vis-a-vis carrot and orange soup - and I had seen on the net a recipe using sherry. The sherry sounded like a good idea, so I thought for about a second, opened the liquor cabinet and pulled out the Cointreau. A sweet alternative to sherry.  cool

The problem is, I need to learn to bake so I can bang out some crusty rolls to go with it  yikes

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 14 Feb 07 1:21pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Baking is not really hard, as long as you follow the instructions wink

If baking turns out not be your cup of tea, buy a ciabatta or baguette, roast thick slices of it with a little olive oil. Cut a clove of garlic in halves and rub the cut side on the bread for a nice garlic bread.  whistle

Again the cointreau sounds like it would add an interesting twist. Must try that with tomatoes some time...

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 17 Feb 07 3:15am

TheBeast

From Leeds

Some improvements

1. Sieve the 'stock' when you add it to the soup

2. Don't put the soup through a colander

3. Add some double cream, as much as you'd prefer.

And a warning

If you let it go cold, it will end up looking like vomit, because the cheese will reset.
puke
Still, heat it back up and it should taste just as good.

Stay tuned for another thread as I decide how best to blend a lime and a chicken, with the possible inclusion of ginger.

Likes (0)