Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

For those of you who knock Jamie...

This is what he is fighting  to change
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u … 446272.ece

Overweight eight-year-old learns fate today

Connor weighed 15 stone 8lb before Christmas and has since lost one-and-a-half stone
Times Online and PA News
A grossly overweight eight-year-old boy who weighs around four times the healthy weight of a child his age will today discover if he will be taken into care.

Connor McCreaddie, from Wallsend, North Tyneside, weighed 15 stone 8lb before Christmas and has since lost one-and-a-half stone thanks to intensive exercise and healthier eating.

But social workers could still take the radical decision to place him in care today when they meet to discuss his progress in losing weight.

Connor and his mother, Nicola McKeown, 35, will both attend the meeting of the child protection conference with North Tyneside Council.

The very last resort would be for social workers to place him into care but Ms McKeown, who suffers from depression, is hopeful this will not happen.

The single mother-of-two said: “Taking him away from his family when he needs them to help him would be, I think, disastrous for Connor. I think it would make him worse.”

An edition of Tonight With Trevor McDonald exploring child obesity, shown last night, featured the schoolboy, whose daily life was followed by film crews for a month.

It lays bare the full extent of the health, practical and emotional problems that Connor’s size poses after his mother agreed to allow cameras into the family home. Health workers and a dietician have been helping the family after Ms McKeown went to professionals for assistance but she claimed today that they had been of little use.

She told GMTV: “Through Connor’s weight gain there’s been no-one there to step in. He’s been going to doctors and stuff, he’s been getting weighed, and no-one’s actually stepped in and said ‘Look, there’s a problem here, we have to get it sorted.’

“So I asked for help and it’s been offered but it hasn’t been given yet.”

She said Connor had started to make an effort to lose weight after last summer when he became self-conscious about his body, but that his school nurse and GP had not been very helpful.

“I’ve only had reports from the school nurse now and then. Every time she said something was a problem we took him to his GP and they assessed and weighed him, took his height and everything, and just basically said go away and watch what he eats.

But that’s what I’ve been doing constantly. She also urged social workers to let her carry on caring for her son and dismissed claims she had been neglecting him.

She said: “I think it’s really terrible. They’ve tried to say that I’ve neglected Connor and he should come under the Child Abuse Act, and I think it’s really disgusting.”

The North Tyneside Council and North Tyneside Primary Care Trust issued a statement saying they were also concerned about Connor’s health and were working with the family.

It said: “We share the concerns over the child’s health and well-being. North Tyneside Council and North Tyneside Primary Care Trust have been working with the family over a prolonged period of time and will continue to do so.

“The child’s interests are paramount.”

The tv news here in Oz also has her sasying that she has tried to feed him healthy food but he just refuses to eat it so she lets him have junk.

I just don't really know what to think.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Feb 07 2:13pm

ZORZOU

Forum champ
Occupation STAYING AWAKE BECAUSE OF MY SECOND BABY!!
From ATHENS - HELLAS
Member since Sun 15 Oct 06

Re: For those of you who knock Jamie...

I saw this kid early this morning on Greek TV news and I really got very sad... Sometimes parents are too elastic as food matter is concerned.  I have a baby girl and my only "fear" is to make nutricional mistakes. Everytime I take her to the Pediatrician I ask the doc what food is appropriate for her age, how much am I supposed to give her and if her weight is right for her age.  I try to cook all food so that she won't be fussy eater -even though I know that there will be periods of "fights" over food!
In Greece there used to be the "after war" syndrom and all grandmas gave huge amounts of food at their grandchilren but nowdays fortunately this fenomenon has been given a miss... We don't have school dinners but I wish there were people like JO to pay notice to what young Greeks eat...
Everyone can make his/her  own choices but as kids are concerned we must be extremely cautious and conscious.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Feb 07 6:03pm

lee belton

Member since Tue 27 Feb 07

If you ask me its time we stop bottlefeeding children , and makeing us take action , its there choice yes he did weigh a lot but , if i were him i would stop straight away if i was that much , we can't keep takeing action on what they must do themselves.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 27 Feb 07 6:12pm

ZORZOU

Forum champ
From ATHENS - HELLAS

lee belton wrote:

If you ask me its time we stop bottlefeeding children , and makeing us take action , its there choice yes he did weigh a lot but , if i were him i would stop straight away if i was that much , we can't keep takeing action on what they must do themselves.

question  question  question

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 27 Feb 07 6:22pm

ZORZOU

Forum champ
From ATHENS - HELLAS

IEE BELTON HOW OLD ARE YOU???????  question  shocked

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 27 Feb 07 7:03pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Sometimes I wish time could go backwards just a little bit (maybe pre-microwave?).  Before the onset of pre-packaged, ready-to-eat foods.  Maybe when sweets and chocolates were a real treat and not the everyday snack for children?

Parents are obviously to blame as good nutrition and healthy eating choices are taught to kids.  The children do not do the grocery shopping, and as toddlers and young children they eat what's made by the parent.  Likewise, the parent stocks the "snack cupboard".....if it's filled with junk.....that's what they eat.

I am frustrated and tired of the excuse of "no time" to make food.  Life's about choice.  Especially in today's time with so many chef's, websites, and TV programmes demonstrating how easy home cooking can be.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 27 Feb 07 8:23pm

WaiferThinMint

Occupation Student, Chef on the side
From Philadelphia, PA, USA
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I agree entirely that it is the responsibly of the parents to set limits and hold a strict measure as to what their children eat.

However, I will argue in favor of the microwave - as I think it takes an undeservedly bad rap for the current food culture.  After all, it is merely a tool.  Admittedly it may be put to bad  uses, but that does  not make it - in and of itself a bad thing - and illustration would be needles.  They have a phenomenal range of medical usefulness, but, alas, they are also used by heroin addicts.  Should we ban needles because of the choices of a group?  That would seem folly.

The obvious counter-argument to my point is that microwaves have far fewer benefits, and the comparative costs are as high.  Although it is difficult to defend  the microwave as being as utilitarian as the needle, it does serve a culinary purpose greater than tv dinners and popcorn.

For example, cooking in papitoelle: this is a phenomenally quick and healthy way of preparing food, and can be done with absolutely no ill effect in the microwave, as it is in effect steaming the food.  Thus when i put salmon on top of rice noodles and sliced fennel, I have two methods of cooking it: 1. the oven, which takes roughly 15 minutes, or 2. the microwave, which takes only 4.

I will freely admit that this is a comparatively rare use of the microwave,  and  that it is - with its accomplice the freezer (another overly maligned appliance) more often than not used for unhealthful slop.  This does not mean, however, that the tool itself is  to blame.  It is those using the tool, not the tool as an item which is the cause of this problem.

Though I agree that the sate of nutrition and knowledge about food has reached a depressing low, I do not feel that mandating the exclusion of certain appliances because of abuse by a portion of the population is at all in line with the traditions of liberty which allow us to make the changes to our diet as we see fit.

As for the enormous eight year old...it may not be criminal neglect, but it certainly bears more looking into, as it takes sustained effort to be that dam*n unhealthy

(Thanks for tolerating my pro-microwave rant, bye the bye)

WTM

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 27 Feb 07 10:07pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

sadie - I didn't see you had this going.  I'd added my comments on this very subject/child in another thread.

What boggles the mind, is the lack of concern of the school nurse, GP and their own family physician!!!!

It is well known that being over weight leads to so many more complications:  cardiovascular disease, diabetes to name a couple.  Evidently the problem has been visible for a while...and none of the heath community felt it important enough to take a stand or decision to help the child.

It sounds as if the fact he was putting on too much weight pushed him to finally find a solution.  (I cannot imagine how much taunting he must receive at school...).

So, who is responsible?  The mother, who doesn't seem to realize the implications of her son's obesity and the risks involved...the school nurse/GP, the family physician?

16% I believe is the figure of children who are now obese...that figure was much lower for many years.  Before it gets out of hand and expensive for the various national health schemes in Europe, it's about time more was done for prevention of obesity rather than only focusing on treatment of it!

Montana mad

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 27 Feb 07 10:32pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

WTM...my post was not about the microwave.  I merely used it as a historical time reference example.  My point had nothing to do with the microwave appliance or any other appliance.  My point was the choice parents make.  Before microwaveable frozen entrees, food preparation was up to the individual.  Again, it is not the microwave....it is the choice of preparing simple, fresh food to eat for children or relying pre-made, pre-packaged and preserved, frozen products.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 27 Feb 07 11:36pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Seems quite clear where the fault lies - the mother.

"Connor's family say he eats "chips with everything", loves curry and snacks on sausage sandwiches, burgers, chocolate biscuits and "junk food all day long while sitting at the computer".

"taking custody of Connor would be a last resort, but said the family had repeatedly failed to attend appointments with nurses, nutritionists and social workers."

She has been stuffing her son with so much unhealthy food that he now weighs 4 times the normal weight for a child of his 8, she can't be bothered to exercise any discipline, and gives in to his every whim.

According to the reports I have seen, the school. his GP, the Social service dept and others have been concerned for a long time, but the mother just would not co-operate. The meeting which took place earlier this week was very much a last resort to try to get the mother to co-operate. While she has signed an agreement saying that she will now work with them to reduce her sons weight, it remains to be seen whether she will - or not.

Likes (0)