forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 28 Feb 07 3:23pm

shuggy1

Member since Wed 15 Nov 06

cooking with todder

Hi, am new here, but would love some easy recipies to make with my 3yr old daugher - any suggestions welcome

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 28 Feb 07 4:46pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: cooking with todder

My daughters always loved making pastry when they were little (but it is exceedingly messy!!).

For a manageable amount, I'd suggest:

4oz flour
2oz butter
tiny pinch salt
ice cold water

Put the flour and butter in a bowl, and show your daughter how to rub the butter in (great fun, lots of mess), then when it's like breadcrumbs, add the water in tiny amounts, mixing with the back of a normal knife (so it won't be too nerve-wracking for you to watch your daughter  wink ).  Then roll the pastry out, and make into whatever you wish.  I used to make jam tarts with my eldest, and baby pasties with my youngest, and my middle daughter liked to make mini quiches  thumbsup  Cheese straws (grate some cheese over the rolled out pastry, then fold in half and re-roll before cutting into strips and laying on a baking sheet) are also popular.

Whatever you make will need baking in a hot oven for 15 - 25 mins. 

Your daughter will probably want to eat the results fairly immediately  lol

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 28 Feb 07 5:20pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

You can really include her whenever there is something to stir, knead etc.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 01 Mar 07 11:19am

shuggy1

Member since Wed 15 Nov 06

many thanks for your replies... her daddy's birthday is coming up, so I might just brave it and try and bake a cake with her!!

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 01 Mar 07 12:38pm

kayleigh

Occupation Full time mummy!
From Petersfield.
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

You should, cooking with kids is so much fun!

Like Susanne has suggested get her into everything. I like making Pizza with the kids. If you dont want to make the base you can make them ready made but they love to decorate their own pizza!! smile

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 01 Mar 07 12:57pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Oh yes - pizza decorating is great!!  It's a fantastic idea for a birthday party as well - I've done ones where each child is given a lump of pizza dough to shape, and a selection of toppings, then they all make a fine mess, I put them in the oven, and there's time for a couple of party games while they cook  thumbsup

Any mixing is great, and if you're able to bake the cake she'll love being given the implements to decorate it!

Another thing that my daughters always saw as a treat was to transfer prepared vegetables into a saucepan (obviously not into boiling water!) - this has slowly led to them learning how to peel and chop foods, which has been scary for me  lol , but good for them.

Good luck and enjoy cooking with your daughter!

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 01 Mar 07 6:24pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

What I liked best when I was your daughter's age was when I could put sprinkles on a cake wink

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 01 Mar 07 11:59pm

StaceyB

Occupation Mom
From Canada
Member since Thu 18 Jan 07

My daughter loves to help make chili, stew, soup, and anything else that "just goes into the pot." I measure everything out in little bowls, and then she get to add all the ingredients and stir - she gets so proud! Just make sure the pot is off the stove and cool to the touch before they climb up to help because their little forearms invariably touch the sides.

Have fun!

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 02 Mar 07 5:48am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

GUMMI BEAR BARS

Ingredients:

ΒΌ cup butter
4 cups miniature marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup gummi bear candies

Step One: Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add marshmallows and cook for about 3 minutes until all marshmallows are melted.

Step Two: Stir in vanilla. Remove pan from heat.

Step Three: Stir in cereal and gummi bears. Press mixture into 13 by 9 inch pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Step Four: Cool for 30 minutes. Cut into bars.

****To make these cute, use bear-shaped cookie cutters instead of cutting them into bars.

****Be sure to spray your cookie cutters with nonstick cooking spray so they don't get stuck

Easy Cheesy Peas & Carrots

1/8 cup milk
1/2  cup cottage cheese
1/3 cup cream cheese
1/8  cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup soft cooked peas
1/8 cup diced cooked carrots
Parmesan Cheese
Shredded mozzarella cheese

What you do:
Blend milk and cheeses together until smooth, then stir in peas and carrots.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese.

Chocolate Easter Eggs

1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine (softened)
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1-1/2 to 2 cups confectioner's sugar (divided)
2 cups (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening

In a mixing bowl, cream peanut butter and butter until well mixed.
Fold in coconut, nuts, and 1 cup confectioner's sugar, mix together well
Sprinkle some of the remaining sugar on a cutting board.
Turn peanut butter mixture onto board & knead in enough of the remaining sugar until mixture holds its shape .
Shape into egg-shaped pieces.
Cover and chill for 1 hour.
In a double boiler over hot water, melt chocolate chips and shortening, stirring until smooth.
Dip eggs and place on waxed paper to harden.

Likes (0)