forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 27 Mar 07 6:35pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Edinburgh headteacher vilified for banning junk.

Goldberry, that was very interesting. Thankyou.

When I had my children the advise was that they should have full fat milk after being weened, my children always had full fat milk, we would. Now as young adults they drink semi-skimmed milk as they find full fat too creamy.

Likes (0)

#22 Wed 28 Mar 07 8:36pm

Arran

Member since Mon 26 Jun 06

mummza wrote:

When I had my children the advise was that they should have full fat milk after being weened, my children always had full fat milk, we would. Now as young adults they drink semi-skimmed milk as they find full fat too creamy.

It has crossed my mind that young children prefer the creamy taste of full fat milk to semi-skimmed. Last September, I encountered several children who started school saying they don't like milk and refusing to drink it. Now almost all of them are drinking milk. I'm not sure if it's the result of parents buying semi-skimmed at home that their children don't like, or peer pressure from their friends that drink milk. Some children offer their non milk drinking friends sips of their milk telling them it tastes really nice - although the school doesn't like children sharing straws. Usually the day comes when a reception class child finally picks up a bottle for themselves and drinks it.

The school has sent out a food survey that asks what type of milk the parents buy to find out if my theory about semi-skimmed is right.

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 29 Mar 07 8:13pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Arran, I seem to remember that in a previous thread you were planning to buy a juice extractor for your school so that you could provide fresh orange juice at lunch times.

I was thinking about this the other day as this week in school (junior )we are having "Fruit Awareness Week". We have bought 2 KitchenAid blenders..(many thanks must go to the Profesional Cookware company who gave us a generous discount  thumbsup )...and evry child in the school has spent either the morning or afternoon learning about different fruits, tasting different fruits, either making a " fruit frisbee" or a fruit kebab and they all designed and made a 'smoothie'.
It was slightly different to the normal smoothie as it was designed to be a little thinner . It contained, whatever fruit had been chosen, ice, apple juice and a little spring water.
These smoothies were /are a great sucess...last day tommorrow! The general plan is to have 'smoothies' once a week at tuck shop. The weeks smoothie recipe will be posted at the beggining of the week ,we will only be making 1 recipe each week. The chlidren are already very excited about this.

The Fruit Awareness week has been a fantastic sucess.
Today a Rugby Player called at the school to talk to the children in assembly about the importance of a healthy and ballanced diet, particually about how you can add fruit to the diet.

The schools Meals have also been very helpfull, they modified the menu for the week and gave a choice of fresh fruit desserts. Also the school meals adviser has very kindly spent time in the school helping with the whole week. I beleive that she was always avalible for contact when the planning for the week was being sorted out. Well done to the school meals service  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 02 Apr 07 3:23am

Goldberry

Member since Tue 06 Feb 07

mummza, sounds like a good initiative overall, but you want to be careful to encourage children to eat the whole fruit and not just the juice, as drinking too much fruit juice seems to double the risk of obesity:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/diet/frui … 18723.html

(The whole fruit is fine because it contains fibre which slows down the metabolism of fructose.)

Likes (0)

#25 Mon 02 Apr 07 11:12am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Oh yes...do not worry Goldberry... part of the fruit week was to prepare,make and eat a load of fruit!!

School tuck shop for years has only sold fruit...apples 15p oranges 15p, bananas 20p .. and that the tuck shop! (I think that it was one of the first schools in Cardiff to only sell fruit in tuck shop...but I might be wrong there.)
To drink then the children have water bottles that they will then fill from drinking water taps in every classroom ( they are allowed to drink water when ever they want, no restrictions).

The idea of starting to serve 'smoothies' once a week is realy to promote an additional way that the children are able to take fruit.
The smoothies in fruit awareness week were made with basicaly one portion of mixed fruit , a little ice, a little apple juice and some spring water. They were realy quite thin in texture but the flavour of the fruit was very apparent.
The smoothies made were not realy the same as the thicker comercial variety.

The only fruit that we found the children were not keen on in a smoothie was orange, this supprised me as I love fresh orange juice myself, but, when I looked into the smoothies that had orange in them , i think that it was more about the texture than the taste that the children did not realy like....however...it did not stop them drinking them!! lol

Last edited by mummza (Mon 02 Apr 07 11:20am)

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 02 Apr 07 12:00pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Goldberry, where is the proof that full fat milk prevents cancer? Ive never heard of it.

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 02 Apr 07 11:40pm

Goldberry

Member since Tue 06 Feb 07

amberpamba, type in "conjugated linoleic acid" and "cancer" in google and see what you come up with. Here is one to start with:

http://www.cbcrp.org/RESEARCH/PageGrant … ant_id=234

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is found in dairy fat. Although undoubtedly, drug companies will find a way to market some CLA wonder drug to us which is not as effective as drinking full-fat milk.

hmm

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 05 Apr 07 7:05pm

Paula Martini

Occupation Home Maker
From South Africa
Member since Tue 12 Sep 06

Hi Alan

Well done.  I am in South Africa and am so horrified at the food my kids get at there school that I have now started a business to change the food in schools in South Africa.  I can not believe the ignorance of parents in the World who allow their kids to eat junk. 

I refer to the photos of the so called victims of the ban, no wonder they feel like victims look what they look like!!!!!!!  She has all the right to give her kids junk at home but the school has the right to ensure that their learners receive the correct food whilst in their care.  That is what I believe.

Do not feel alone.  When I brought this issue up at my childrens school I got a lawyers letter to remove my kids if I was not happy with the food they are giving them.

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only person on a quest.  I launch my first tuck shop at the school that is in direct competition to my children's school on the 11th of April.  It will be about 80% additive free.  I still need to get the other 20% out of the tuck shop but baby steps.  They will soon learn that it is no good for them.  We have such a problem with additives in S.A food that I have sourced and created my own additive free products to sell at the tuck shop.

Regards
Paula Martini
Eat Smart B Smart
thumbsup  lol  thumbsup  lol  lol  lol  lol

Likes (0)

#29 Mon 09 Apr 07 12:22pm

Arran

Member since Mon 26 Jun 06

mummza wrote:

Arran, I seem to remember that in a previous thread you were planning to buy a juice extractor for your school so that you could provide fresh orange juice at lunch times.

I was thinking about this the other day as this week in school (junior )we are having "Fruit Awareness Week". We have bought 2 KitchenAid blenders..(many thanks must go to the Profesional Cookware company who gave us a generous discount  thumbsup )...and evry child in the school has spent either the morning or afternoon learning about different fruits, tasting different fruits, either making a " fruit frisbee" or a fruit kebab and they all designed and made a 'smoothie'.
It was slightly different to the normal smoothie as it was designed to be a little thinner . It contained, whatever fruit had been chosen, ice, apple juice and a little spring water.
These smoothies were /are a great sucess...last day tommorrow! The general plan is to have 'smoothies' once a week at tuck shop. The weeks smoothie recipe will be posted at the beggining of the week ,we will only be making 1 recipe each week. The chlidren are already very excited about this.

Interesting that you mention this. Last term my school got their hands on some blenders and used them to make smoothies. They were a great success and there was talk about producing smoothies on a full time basis.

Likes (0)

#30 Mon 09 Apr 07 12:40pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Arran, We will be making 'smoothies' in tuck shop once a week (towards the end of the week) and will be posting the recipe up at the beggining of each week. We decided that by posting up the recipe the children would be able to decide in advance if it was the smoothie that they liked or not, so avoiding disapoitments.

By only making 1 recipe a week it will cut down on waste.

The smoothies that we made in Fruit Awareness week did not contain any milk products, just fruit, ice, apple juice and/or spring water. ( orange juice was not very sucessfull in the smoothie and some children did not care for the apple juice).

Hope this is helpfull to you.

Likes (0)