forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 08 Mar 07 9:27am

Neula

From Barcelona
Member since Mon 30 Oct 06

Re: Bread Pudding (Fhotos)

majitha wrote:

Will you share the recipe with us???? This is the recipe i use...
Traditional English Bread Pudding
Yield: 4 Servings
Ingredients
8 sl buttered white bread
2 oz sultanas
1 grated rind of one lemon
2 eggs; (can use egg beaters)
3 level tbsps caster sugar
1 pt vanilla flavoured milk

Instructions

Remove crusts, cut bread into 1 inch squares. Place in lightly buttered over proof dish, with alternate layers of sultanas mixed with the grated lemon rind. Beat eggs lightly w/2 Tbsps of sugar and all the milk. Pour custard over bread, sprinkle remaining sugar over the top and bake in a preheated oven at 350ø for about 30 mins.

Let cool slightly and enjoy!
·    6 slices day-old bread
·    2 tablespoons butter, melted
·    1/2 cup raisins (optional)
·    4 eggs, beaten
·    2 cups milk
·    3/4 cup white sugar
·    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
·    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:
1.    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.    Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
3.    In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
4.    Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

The recipe I used is like your second one, but I use rustic bread similar to ciabatta with crust. I also put 100 g of coconut (that wasn't i the recipe) I also put raisins in rum if children are not going to eat it.

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 08 Mar 07 2:53pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

For purposes of comparison:
8 slices of bread
butter (about 60g)
50g caster sugar
50g currants or raisins (you can soak these in brandy beforehand if you like)
1 tbsp candied peel or zest of half an orange, optional
zest of 1 small lemon
275ml milk mixed with 60ml double cream
3 eggs
nutmeg

Butter the bread on both sides and leave the crust on!  Cut the bread slices in half diagonally, then in half again so you have four small triangles.  If you're using a deepish dish, you can also just cut them in half once so you have two large triangles from each slice.  Arrange one layer around the base of the buttered dish, add the peel and some of the currants, then arrange the second layer on top.  I like having them stand up in neat pointy rows.  Add the rest of the currants over the top.  In a jug, mix together the milk, cream, eggs, zest and nutmeg.  Whisk well and pour over the pudding, topping with a final sprinkle of nutmeg if you're so inclined.  Bake for about 35 mins at 180.

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 08 Mar 07 7:06pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I did once make bread and butter pudding with the left over hot cross buns...I had forgotten about it untill you mentioned it Dave  thumbsup  thanks for reminding me, I seem to remember that it was pretty good.

When I make bread and butter pudding I generally add some dried fruit to one half of the pudding and none in the other. This is because only some of my family enjoy raisins  or what other dried fruit that I am using.
I always scatter the top of the pudding with a little sugar this gives a lovely crisp top to the pudding.

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 19 May 07 2:04am

Lenzo

Member since Sat 19 May 07

Jamie, I used to live in South Africa. And I remember seeing a tv program with you making a bread and butter pudding - I remember it had jam, and eggs separated, the bread which was soaked and the milk. I made it and believe me it disappeared like lightening. But now I cant remember all the ingredients. And I would so love to make it here in Oz. HELP PLEASE. help  crossed

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 19 May 07 6:07am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Could it be this one:-

Baileys and Banana Bread and Butter Pudding

Having grown up in a pub, two of the alcoholic drinks I tried and got a taste for at a very early age were Baileys and a cocktail called a Snowball. Now I'm older I detest the taste of both of them!

Jools has a little drop of Baileys every now and again, so there's usually a bottle hanging about, and one day I had some bananas and it was as simple as that - I tried this recipe out and it was fantastic, one of the best possible twists on a bread and butter pudding.

Serves about 6
1/2 a loaf of pre-sliced white bread, crusts removed
55g/2oz or 1/4 pack of butter, softened
140g/5oz caster sugar
seeds from 1 vanilla pod
8 free-range eggs
500ml/18fl oz double cream
565ml/1 pint milk
4 shots of Baileys
5 bananas
4 tablespoons flaked almonds, toasted until golden
icing sugar to dust

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.

Flatten each slice of bread down as flat as possible. Butter each piece thinly but thoroughly with the softened butter, then cut the slices of bread in half and put to one side.

In a bowl whisk together the sugar, vanilla seeds and eggs till pale and fluffy, then add the cream, the milk and the Baileys and whisk until smooth. Slice up your peeled bananas and lightly toast your almonds in the preheated oven. Take an appropriately sized baking dish (or you could do individual ones) and rub the sides with a little butter. Dip each piece of bread in the egg mixture then begin to layer the bread, the sliced banana and the almonds in the baking dish. Repeat until everything has been used up, ending with a top layer of bread. Pour over the rest of your egg mixture, using your fingers to pat down the bread to make sure it soaks up all the lovely flavours.

Generously dust the top of the pudding with icing sugar and bake in the oven for around 35 minutes or until the custard has set around the outside but is just slightly wobbly in the centre. Allow it to cool and firm up slightly. Some people like to serve it with ice cream or double cream, but if you get it gooey enough in the middle then it is nice just on its own. Feel free to take this recipe in any direction you like - using raisins or dried apricots or different types of bread like brioche or pannetone.

--------------------------------------

Or this one:-

Bread and butter pudding
Click here
Bread and butter pudding

Bread and butter pudding is one of those classic old English recipes that everyone loves. The addition of marmalade brushed over the bread makes it fantastically crisp, with a zingy orangey bitterness that just makes the whole thing superb. This is another dessert that you don't want to overcook because you want to have the soft insides contrasting with the crispiness on top.

Serves 6

For the flavoured butter

100g / 3.5 oz unsalted butter, softened
A large pinch of ground nutmeg
A large pinch of ground cinnamon
Zest of 1 large orange

8 x 1cm / 0.5 inch slices of good-quality bread
9 large free-range or organic eggs
140g / 5oz caster sugar
500ml / 17.5 fl oz whole milk
565ml / 1 pint double cream
1 vanilla pod, scored lengthways and seeds removed
4 tablespoons good quality fine-cut marmalade

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. First make your flavoured butter by mixing the butter with the nutmeg, cinnamon and orange zest. Use a little of it to butter a medium-sized shallow, ovenproof dish.

Butter the bread using the flavoured butter, then cut each slice in half diagonally. Put the slices in your buttered dish. Now separate the eggs, reserving all 9 yolks but just 1 egg white. Whisk together the egg yolks and egg white with the sugar, then gently heat the milk and cream in a saucepan with the vanilla seeds and pod. Pour into the eggs, stirring all the time. Remove the vanilla pod then pour the mixture over the bread and leave to soak for at least 20 minutes.

Put the dish in a roasting tray and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the dish. Then put it in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes until the custard has just set.

Meanwhile, gently warm the marmalade in a saucepan, then remove the dish from the oven and brush the marmalade over the top of the bread. Pop the dish back into the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes. Allow it to cool and firm up slightly before serving.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 21 May 07 9:45am

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Or these ones:

Panettone Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
courtesy Jamie Oliver
Show:  Oliver's Twist
Episode:  Big Grub for Big Boys 

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 8 to 12 servings

1 pint (575 milliliters) milk (don't use 2 percent, 1 percent, or skim)
1 pint (575 milliliters) double cream (heavy cream)
1 vanilla pod
4 medium eggs
6 ounces (170 grams) caster sugar (superfine sugar)
Panettone, cut into thick slices and buttered
1 orange, zested
A little icing sugar

To start the custard base, bring the milk and cream just to a boil in a saucepan. Cut the vanilla pod in half, scrape out the seeds and add to the pan with the zest. Whisk the eggs with the sugar until pale. Add the milk and cream and remove the vanilla.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C/Gas 3).
Dip each slice of panettone into the custard and pile into a buttered baking dish. Pour the remaining custard slowly over the bread, place the dish in a roasting pan and fill halfway with hot water. Sprinkle with the icing sugar and bake for about 45 minutes. When cooked, it will have a slight crust on top, but will still be slightly 

The King of Puddings Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
Show:  The Naked Chef
Episode:  Italian Job 

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

4 eggs
1 pint (565 milliliters) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ounces (115 grams) fine bread crumbs
8 ounces (225 grams) sugar
4 level tablespoons jam (raspberry jam is really nice)

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
Separate 3 of the eggs. Put the yolks in a bowl with the remaining whole egg and beat together. Add the milk, vanilla essence, bread crumbs, and 3 ounces (85 grams) of the sugar.

Put the jam on the bottom of a pie dish and spread it evenly. Pour the egg and milk mixture over the jam.

Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until set.

Whisk the remaining egg whites until stiff. You could use an electric whisk for this. Slowly add the remaining sugar until it is all mixed in. Pile this mixture on top of the pudding mixture, then bake in the oven for a further 15 to 20 minutes until the meringue is set and lightly browned.

Last edited by young mum (Mon 21 May 07 9:45am)

Likes (0)