forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 14 Mar 07 4:53pm

TheBeast

Occupation Part time on checkouts, trying to get an an Open Uni (MA) philosophy course
From Leeds
Member since Fri 09 Feb 07

Apparently Jamie struggles with poached eggs

Is it true that Jamie couldn't poach an egg till April last year?

What method are you using, Jamie? Not the Godawful whirlpool method, I hope?

Use clingfilm, man. Dish - clingfilm - egg - tie - place bag in water, then you can cook it in salmon, parma ham, or whatever takes your fancy.

In fact, something which is popping into my mind right now.

If you like boiled potatoes, before cracking your eggs, boil some potatoes as per usual, then cut the tops of a few of them, 5 minutes before the end of cooking time, and hollow them out a bit. Pour a little bit of egg into each potato hollow, replace the top and seal it (wrap it in clingfilm, or maybe buttering the potato bits together might help). Whack the taters back in the boiling water and let them cook with the eggs inside.

Might be worth a try. Might be rubbish. Feedback from JO or any honest chef will be much appreciated.

Last edited by TheBeast (Wed 14 Mar 07 4:54pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 14 Mar 07 5:58pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Apparently Jamie struggles with poached eggs

Hi Beast!!  I'm just awful at poaching eggs, also.  Thanks for the clingfilm suggestion.  I never thought of it. smile

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 14 Mar 07 6:53pm

TheBeast

Occupation Part time on checkouts, trying to get an an Open Uni (MA) philosophy course
From Leeds

I found it on the net a while back. The best thing about it is the egg is not saturated with water.

Line the inside of the film with ham, salmon or whatever you want to cook your eggs in (that will not be ruined if poached) and remember, the thicker the food jacket, the longer you need to cook the eggs

And remember to grease the film if you don't use a food jacket, or the egg might stick

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 15 Mar 07 6:57am

Queen Spanny

Member since Sun 08 Oct 06

My auntie uses that method, and it works a treat! big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 15 Mar 07 11:47am

Morpion

From centered in France
Member since Wed 03 Jan 07

Hello,
I don't know about the clingfilm method but I will suggest mine.

Just stop heating the water ones it boiles and put a good shut of vinegar in it, it helps to get the egg-white hard faster (denaturating proteins), before it disapears into the water. Then put your egg in a dipper and let it slowly down in the water.

Now I succeed in poaching eggs but it took me a good couple of time and attempts to get my eggs for my favorite salad (lamb's lettuce, yellow dandelion, thin sliced bacon and the dressing made with turned vine thumbsup )

Good luck, be patient and don't discourage  wink

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 15 Mar 07 3:07pm

TheBeast

From Leeds

If anyone uses Morpion's method, do a test first. Put the empty bowl into the water and see if it sinks, floats or tips straight over. If it sinks, take it out the water and crack the egg in, then poach.

I just made a poached egg in salmon only to find half a loaf of bread has disappeared overnight (yes I got up at 1.00pm!). But there was some left over bolognese so I'm having egg poached in salmon with bolognese, and it's actually quite nice.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 15 Mar 07 3:18pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Make sure your eggs are really fresh - when you crack them the yolk sits up on top of the white which is round and firm.

I had issues for quite a long time with poaching eggs, I now use the whirlpool method with a dash of vinegar - you just need to remember that the water isn't boiling - just shimmering on the top before you give the water a slight swirl and drop the egg in. I actually break the egg into a small bowl and slide it into the water from that.

There is also the microwave methos.

Put the egg in a cup. Prick the yolk and cover with plastic wrap. microwave for 45 secs.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 15 Mar 07 3:47pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Sadie,  I use the microwave method alot, also.  Sometimes it gets to dry if I let it go the least bit too long in the microwave.  Hope evrything is great with you!! smile

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 15 Mar 07 10:38pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

ANN and sadie-hoshi,

I like the microwave method (but I add salt, pepper, a bit of creme fraiche and grated cheese)...

making me hungry.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 16 Mar 07 4:50am

evan

From melbourne australia
Member since Sat 03 Jul 04

fresh eggs seem to be the key. cling film is an interesting approach, but it has no style to it. youd have to make sure your guests cant see you cooking wink

Last edited by evan (Fri 16 Mar 07 4:51am)

Likes (0)