forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 15 Mar 07 9:18pm

johnheeley199

Occupation Hgv Driver
From Dewsbury West Yorkshire
Member since Sun 24 Dec 06

chicken

due to the nature of my job,(truck driving), i have to make dinners that i can reheat in my wagon. i have been living off beef and lamb stews for months now, preparing and making on a saturday night, for reheating on a sunday evening. my question is can i make a chicken cassarole and reheat it safely the following evening wíthout resigning myself to the grave-yard??

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Mar 07 12:39pm

Lemon_Meringue

From Sydney, Australia
Member since Sat 08 Jul 06

Re: chicken

If the chicken is cooked it should be fine to re-heat! I re-heat chicken dishes all the time. Asian Stir-Fries, Apricot Chicken....

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 18 Mar 07 2:23pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Will you be keeping it chilled after the initial cooking?  I tend to accidentally cook for seven even though I'm only feeding two, so we have a lot of leftovers.  The one problem I tend to have with chicken dishes is that if you use thighs, for example, the liquid will turn to jelly overnight.  This isn't a problem, but can look somewhat unappealing (especially the dark pink jelly you get from coq au vin).  It melts back down to sauce upon reheating, but just wanted to let you know that this isn't dangerous/unusual, as I first thought!   smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 19 Mar 07 6:58am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

What do you use to reheat the food?

If you are caseroling or stewing the chicken it will be well cooked through, so re-heating is no problem at all.

Try cooking chicken peices (or fillets if you prefer) in a rich italian style tomato sauce (just simmer away for about 45 minutes covered in the sauce) then have it reheated with bread to mop up the sauce (crusty bread if you can) its really good.

for a fresh flavour kick try adding grated lemon zest & chopped fresh parsley right at the end of cooking time

Last edited by frizz1974 (Mon 19 Mar 07 7:08am)

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 22 Mar 07 12:49am

oldthreetoes

Occupation Music Journalist/Writer and editor
From Vancouver, Canada
Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

Eating chicken cold the next day is not an issue.  How long it is in a room temperature environment is...you generally want to keep it 3 degress or cooler, and if you are not sure if that was the case you will want to reheat to 140 degrees to kill bacteria...but cold precooked chicken is perfectly safe..

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 22 Mar 07 12:49pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Anna, I had to laugh, I looked in my fridge today & there are the remains from 3 dishes I made this week sitting in there lol  lol big lunch tomorrow

Likes (0)