Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 18 Mar 07 4:35am

erik345

Member since Sat 04 Nov 06

fresh herbs

hi all,

this is more a cooking related question. I like to use fresh herbs in my cooking, but have a problem with them. The die very fast. I give them a lot off water, put them in bigger pot, put them where the can get some sunlight, but nothing helps. I have no garden so I have to keep them indoors. I tryed it with basil and rozemary but if the keep dying. Now I'm using the dryed stuff but that is not as good. Can anybody help me out here?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Mar 07 9:57am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: fresh herbs

Basil needs a lot of water, rosemary does not. They may not be getting enough sun. Hhave a look in the leftovers forum, there is some discussion on herbs there. I have the pleasure of a garden and when i didn't i found it almost impossible to grow herbs indoors.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 18 Mar 07 12:14pm

Lemon_Meringue

From Sydney, Australia
Member since Sat 08 Jul 06

I have sweet basil and parsley growing in a smallish ceramic pot. I keep it in my kitchen in front of a window & its doing really well. I grew it from seed so its only quite small but it seems to be thriving. I water it when the soil looks a bit dry and I never over-water it.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 19 Mar 07 7:17am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Hmm indoor plants are a new interest for me too...

I dug up a small bit of mint from my garden a few weeks ago, stuck it with some good potting mix in an old chipped coffee cup on my kitchen window sill (morning sun up to midday) gave it a good haircut & its growing back really well.

The next thing coming in is some basil & parsley I will dig them up from the garden before the first frosts.

Likes (0)